Johan Lange

hippo

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

Do we know for sure that Lange is entirely responsible for the personnel we bring in? What if his role is to negotiate terms, wages, contract length, etc. after the recruitment team and head coach identify a player?

From what I remember Dean said they came up with 4 players for each position between them, then Suso/Lange would get whichever deal they could depending on price/availability etc.  Now I'm hoping it's a case of Emery having precise targets as to who he wants and Lange and Purslow just get it done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

Definitely disappointed by the lack of discovering new talent that can go into the first team squad now… we are so bad at it. 

What do you class as new talent?  Are we any worse than any other PL club?  Some clubs appear to have done well but they mainly have much smaller budgets and so are forced to take more gambles.  They will almost certainly have also signed many players who didn't go on to make it.

But in terms of signing players who either weren't starting for their previous club or who came from a "smaller" league I think we've done OK.  On that basis we have signed Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn and Kamara - could possibly even include Watkins on that as he had no previous big league experience.  Admittedly a few of those have cost us a lot of money.  But has there been a better GK signing in the PL in the last 5 years - sat on the bench to World Cup star in 3 seasons?  Mings was on the fringes at Bournemouth and has been a fantastic captain.  Kamara will either be the key cog in our midfield for the next 5 years or we will make a massive profit on him.  Dougie went from a youth prospect to being a very, very solid PL midfielder.  McGinn is one of the best signings of any team in the league over the last 5 years (even if now he's probably reached his ceiling).

Surely turning a £10 - 15m player into a £40m player is still a massive success.  I would be very nervous about signing a completely unknown player from the French 2nd division and putting them into our starting line-up.   The chance of uncovering a £50m + diamond is really low (especially ones that go straight into the first team) - even some of our best ever diamonds needed time to develop in the lower leagues.  Grealish would probably be the best example of that - he needed a couple of years ripping it up in the Championship to have the confidence to do the same in the PL.  If we tried signing Grealish with the experience he needed to take on the PL it would be costing us £30-40m easily.

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

Definitely disappointed by the lack of discovering new talent that can go into the first team squad now… we are so bad at it. 

I genuinely believe that we should be looking at young players breaking into their national squads (or performing very well in the U21 team) who are performing well in a decent league and giving them their Premier League "big break" rather than looking at players possibly breaking into the squad at 2nd or 3rd tier level who may or may not be the next superstar.

If we signed a new striker tomorrow - I'd be much happier about throwing that player into our starting XI if that player had performed in a decent league already even if they cost £25m, than signing someone from the French 3rd division for £500,000 who actually had all the attributes to be a success.  Even if both players then proved to be just as good and we ended up selling them to PSG (for example) for £60m - the first option still seems the "better" signing as there is more "evidence" driving the purchase than the latter which will inherently be more of a risk as the player is completely unproven at anything like the level we would expect them to be performing in.  I personally think we should be aiming to sign new talent at 16, 17, 18 and putting them into the academy and then signing young, up and coming but not "unheard of" talent for the first team balanced with some slightly more experienced players.

17 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Really have to question what Lange is doing.  We have not discovered any hidden gems.  Wasted money on players that were never going to be first team regulars. Academy results have also been atrocious.  

I would argue Martinez was a hidden gem. 

41 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

First signs that Lange is on borrowed time.  We offered Roberto Olabe the sporting directors job apparently. We wanted Mikel Mireno and Olabe from Sociodad but he extended his contract . 

Seems to suggest Emery wanted him. If that’s true then it means Emery has been given full control. I would imagine Lange might not be here much longer if that’s the case.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Seems to suggest Emery wanted him. If that’s true then it means Emery has been given full control. I would imagine Lange might not be here much longer if that’s the case.

Could just be a lazy link as he used to coach Real Union,  who Unai Emery happens to own.

• Shocked 1

On 14/01/2023 at 15:58, Don_Simon said:

I would argue Martinez was a hidden gem. 

Martinez was a Cutler proposed signing.

In a recent interview with Dan Bardell (i think), Cutler spoke how they were looking at numerous keepers, and Cutler wanted martinez, and had to do a full presentation justifying why martinez and not a different keeper (apparently Cutler was allowed a large input in to keeper recruitment), Lange obviously approved the signing, but it was driven/led by Cutler.

So, another one that can be chalked off the "Lange transfer" board.

19 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Lange is hopeless. Needs to be replaced.

I don't know how you've come to that conclusion. I believe our issues have been primarily related to Coaching. Emery has shown early signs of what this squad can achieve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Lange is hopeless. Needs to be replaced.

What does he do since you have came to this dramatic response

Do you think Lange was signing Coutinho and Digne? Apparently he was the one to suggest Kamara

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Will Lange be gone then? 
Seems a big move to allow Umai to choose Sporting Director (if rumours were true)

I feel Unai is calling a lot of the shots now, we need a Sporting director of the same calibre as the manager. I do feel Lange's day are numbered he's under performed and as soon as a suitable replacement if found he'll be gone.

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Lange obviously approved the signing, but it was driven/led by Cutler.

So, another one that can be chalked off the "Lange transfer" board.

I've highlighted the important bit in bold for you.

Â