Johan Lange

hippo

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lange gets a tough rap here on his signings history however according to sky sports he was instrumental in recommending and bringing kamara here. 

Arguably one of our best ever free signings. Absolute class player. 

Yeah but he didn't do it two seasons before he proved that he could / would (probably) be a good player in a top league so that doesn't count.  Anyone could have seen that he'd be a great signing when Lange eventually got around to signing him.  The fact that he was 2 seasons late in trying doesn't make up for the fact that he was still successful in doing so.

(Just for clarity - heavy levels of irony and sarcasm are at play in this response!!!  Although I fully expect 1 serious reply effectively stating this as actual truth).

1 minute ago, allani said:

Yeah but he didn't do it two seasons before he proved that he could / would (probably) be a good player in a top league so that doesn't count.  Anyone could have seen that he'd be a great signing when Lange eventually got around to signing him.  The fact that he was 2 seasons late in trying doesn't make up for the fact that he was still successful in doing so.

(Just for clarity - heavy levels of irony and sarcasm are at play in this response!!!  Although I fully expect 1 serious reply effectively stating this as actual truth).

Apart from the other teams who didn't want him, right?

• Haha 4

Just now, S-Platt said:

He probably got Emi Martinez too thats 2 world class parts of the spine of the team.

Time will tell if Carlos is the 3rd and its now onto the striker!

I said this too. 

I guarantee someone will come back to you with... "that was Neil Cutler's signing". But when it's poor signings, Lange will get all the criticism.

Its **** crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

Cut and paste from my previous response: 

(Just for clarity - heavy levels of irony and sarcasm are at play in this response!!!)  Sorry.

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lange gets a tough rap here on his signings history however according to sky sports he was instrumental in recommending and bringing kamara here. 

Arguably one of our best ever free signings. Absolute class player. 

Martinez, Cash, Watkins, Traore, Sanson were the signings in his first season here

Jack leaving and we signed, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Young - all signed to play 433/4231 fitting our counter attacking approach.

We then appointed Gerrard and immediately switched to a system which didn't require wingers. So they had to be moved on. Gerrard stated he wanted experience to bring up average age of squad. We signed Coutinho, Digne, Olsen, Chambers in Jan

Last summer we signed - Kamara, Carlos, Dendoncker

With Duran and Moreno joining this month.

I don't think Lange/McKenzie have done too bad tbh. Martinez, Cash, Watkins, Kamara, Young all no debating it successful signings. 

Sanson didn't work out, nor did Traore but both had injuries. Olsen and Chambers essentially cost nothing and have filled their roles as back up players better than Tuanzebe/Steer would have. 

Ings for whatever reason doesn't feel like Lange/McKenzie picked him out. It feels more a Smith/Purslow type, where they wanted him in. 

I feel Buendia and Bailey have not had the chance to show what they can do. Injury and Gerrard just meant they lost a year almost. I would hold judgement until the summer on those. 

Carlos, Dendoncker, Digne. Need to wait and see on Carlos, Dendoncker made sense and is a good experienced squad player. Digne we'll wait and see. Coutinho clearly was a decision outside of scouting department. 

It's not been too bad. I feel the Gerrard damage kind of damages everyone almost. To pivot away from what the squad we had was good at really undermined the recruitment that had taken place to date. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Martinez, Cash, Watkins, Traore, Sanson were the signings in his first season here

Jack leaving and we signed, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Young - all signed to play 433/4231 fitting our counter attacking approach.

We then appointed Gerrard and immediately switched to a system which didn't require wingers. So they had to be moved on. Gerrard stated he wanted experience to bring up average age of squad. We signed Coutinho, Digne, Olsen, Chambers in Jan

Last summer we signed - Kamara, Carlos, Dendoncker

With Duran and Moreno joining this month.

I don't think Lange/McKenzie have done too bad tbh. Martinez, Cash, Watkins, Kamara, Young all no debating it successful signings. 

Sanson didn't work out, nor did Traore but both had injuries. Olsen and Chambers essentially cost nothing and have filled their roles as back up players better than Tuanzebe/Steer would have. 

Ings for whatever reason doesn't feel like Lange/McKenzie picked him out. It feels more a Smith/Purslow type, where they wanted him in. 

I feel Buendia and Bailey have not had the chance to show what they can do. Injury and Gerrard just meant they lost a year almost. I would hold judgement until the summer on those. 

Carlos, Dendoncker, Digne. Need to wait and see on Carlos, Dendoncker made sense and is a good experienced squad player. Digne we'll wait and see. Coutinho clearly was a decision outside of scouting department. 

It's not been too bad. I feel the Gerrard damage kind of damages everyone almost. To pivot away from what the squad we had was good at really undermined the recruitment that had taken place to date. 

I think what he has done well is built a squad, on paper at least our squad is one of the best outside of the top teams which is why it was so frustrating what Gerrard did with it, its deeper than the likes of wolves, Everton, even Newcastle, dendoncker is our 3rd choice DMC and he's a starter for Belgium, Chambers is 4th choice CB, we've struggled with performances but there's definitely enough tools to work with IMO who else in the other 14 had someone comparable to Ings sat on the bench? Obviously we now don't so where do we go next

Think he also deserves credit for Smith, feeney, Wilson, kellyman, Tim etc that side of it seems excellent

The next step is the key one whether or not he can build the squad while integrating some of these youngsters, he's not signing players to block or stunt development, have we signed up Luiz and not sold mcginn and not bought a £50m+ starting midfielder because lange's masterplan is the long game with Tim or just because that piece never dropped on his lap in the transfer window, what do we do with mings and the 4 decent prospect we have in the youth set up, that's the interest for me, that's the gamble

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

So your unwilling to give lange credit? Be honest had you heard of kamara before we were linked with him? Id never heard of him. 

When you say two seasons late do you not consider lange has any successes in his signings? I would say he has made some poor buys but i think he has signed better than pitarch did

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So your unwilling to give lange credit? Be honest had you heard of kamara before we were linked with him? Id never heard of him. 

When you say two seasons late do you not consider lange has any successes in his signings? I would say he has made some poor buys but i think he has signed better than pitarch did

Sorry I thought the statement at the end (Just for clarity - heavy levels of irony and sarcasm are at play in this response!!!  Although I fully expect 1 serious reply effectively stating this as actual truth) made it clear that nothing I said was serious and was just a dig at some posters who seem to think that Lange can only possibly be doing a good job if he signs the next Zidane from the French 5th League for €57.37.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, allani said:

Sorry I thought the statement at the end (Just for clarity - heavy levels of irony and sarcasm are at play in this response!!!  Although I fully expect 1 serious reply effectively stating this as actual truth) made it clear that nothing I said was serious and was just a dig at some posters who seem to think that Lange can only possibly be doing a good job if he signs the next Zidane from the French 5th League for €57.37.

Oh ok 😃

• Haha 1

Â