Johan Lange

hippo

So we know Duran is a Lange signing, obvs  signed off by Emery but fair to say more of a data based club purchase & investment…v.excited to see him play and develop and is a very shrewd move IMO. 

On 06/02/2023 at 00:17, Risso said:

I fint it a bit odd that we've spent £40m upgrading from Targett, to Digne, to Moreno, for what look like marginal gains, while there are much more pressing concerns all over the pitch.

I agree. This is the sort of thing that wouldn't happen under a top sporting director IMO.

It's clear we're willing to back the manager and if they really want a player, provide for them. Coutinho, Digne, Moreno.

The problem as you've said is two of these are left backs and at least two have been a monstrous waste of money. Hopefully Moreno is far better for us over the next three years, looks the business going forward right now.

My concern is that lessons have not been learnt from Gerrard and we immediately let a new manager buy another £10m+ player who we would otherwise not have looked at IMO. It's not as bad, definitely, because Moreno won't be on £120k+ a week. Unai does deserve support and trust as he's simply the best possible manager we could appoint.

This is more a recruitment thing overall, not necessarily Lange individually. He should be across long-term squad planning. He's in the thick of these transfers and will be the main go-between between Emery and the money men who sign off on these deals.

The ideal scenario is big Jhon looks the absolute nuts for the rest of the season and we move more towards a global scouring approach than just players the manager likes the look of or knows.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2023 at 15:59, Delphinho123 said:

Since when does a manager choose a sporting director. I always assumed the sporting director was the boss and the manager worked with what he proposed...?

I don't know what a football clubs hierarchy structure really is, There are organisational charts, then there is Authority, and that is usually developed from Success, and on the ground can trump the organisational structure.

Some managers like Pep and SAF created their own Status.....MON had the finger on Richard Fitzgerald, too.....Dean Smith, was probably the opposite and created no status threat.

A Football club, is all about the football, and every modicum of success, emanates from that.....that is the unwritten rule.

I would suspect, UE currently has the empowerment within the club......if he starts losing games at an unacceptable rate, that will inevitably change.

It is no surprise to me right now he trumps Lange.

It follows how can your boss be on less money than you, and be empowered.....Your Salary represents your value to the organisation...generally speaking.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It follows how can your boss be on less money than you, and be empowered.....Your Salary represents your value to the organisation...generally speaking.

Just not the case in football, where most business rules aren’t generally followed. Most of the factory floor are on much more than, what would normally thought of as, their superiors. 

8 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Needs to go and Emery bring his own man to many hit and misses for me.

What are the hit and misses? Can you put it into context? I’m not questioning wether you’re right or wrong here now.

On 07/02/2023 at 14:54, Tomaszk said:
On 06/02/2023 at 00:17, Risso said:

I find it a bit odd that we've spent £40m upgrading from Targett, to Digne, to Moreno, for what look like marginal gains, while there are much more pressing concerns all over the pitch.

I agree. This is the sort of thing that wouldn't happen under a top sporting director IMO

It's the strategy that is wrong rather than Lange specifically.Granted, Lange will have input into the strategy, but ultimately it is Purslow and the owners who make the decisions about it.

Our last 3 managerial appointments all have 3 very different styles and we are recruiting players based on what they want. This has led to changes like you mentioned at LB. None of them are much better than the other overall, but have different skills specific to the system.

Until the club get consistency appointing managers with a similar style (like Brentford and Brighton have done) and buying players that fit that style then we will continue to waste money like we have been doing with the Lbs. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It's the strategy that is wrong rather than Lange specifically.Granted, Lange will have input into the strategy, but ultimately it is Purslow and the owners who make the decisions about it.

Our last 3 managerial appointments all have 3 very different styles and we are recruiting players based on what they want. This has led to changes like you mentioned at LB. None of them are much better than the other overall, but have different skills specific to the system.

Until the club get consistency appointing managers with a similar style (like Brentford and Brighton have done) and buying players that fit that style then we will continue to waste money like we have been doing with the Lbs. 

Continuity in style of play and profile of players/head coaches is where a Sporting director should come in , but we all  have to bear in  mind that decision are made collectively between members the board and staff.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

If Purslow is putting together any sort of football strategy we're in trouble. Butt out Christian.

Lange should be in charge of it IMO. Squad building. First team planning.

If he isn't, whoever is hasn't done a great job. If we don't have one, it's negligence and we need to get someone doing it.

Guide the manager who shouldn't have his head in contracts and average squad age. The manager should largely focus on performance and results on the pitch.

11 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Needs to go and Emery bring his own man to many hit and misses for me.

Emery needs to bring his own man lol I wish I could hire some of the words removed that work in different departments to me I have to work with.

That's not how any of this works.

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2023 at 00:06, thabucks said:

So we know Duran is a Lange signing, obvs  signed off by Emery but fair to say more of a data based club purchase & investment…v.excited to see him play and develop and is a very shrewd move IMO. 

but can they all be done that way?....just asking?

I still think Brentford, Leicester, Brighton and even Fulham, have done well, in recent times.

Â