Johan Lange

hippo

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you think we are going to make any profit on jota aeg trez or samatta?

Well its not impossible for a player to have a bad season though i know some Villa fans are short term minded. 

El Ghazi for example should have had over 10 goals this season from his missed chances . Puts them in he is a 20 million player. Not impossible for him to practice finishing over the summer and improve like our defence did

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Hmm doesn't that Twitter page just analyse other peoples' data?

Yep but 99% of Villa fans (at least), myself included are not bothered to go looking for it so it's a handy thing to have.

And he credits the sites where he gets the data and doesn't pass it off as his own or anything.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

We have we have a good record when it comes to signing Scandis. If he could just grow a beard I’m sure he’d be a success. 

Don't think he can. Looks like a boy.

I have faith in the NSWE board and they’re all very experienced company executives. I’m sure they wouldn’t hire someone without being thorough so even if he is pretty fresh I don’t doubt they have good reasons for thinking he’s the right man.

Maybe he has nudes of Messi and Mbappe. 

5 minutes ago, Muriel said:

However, if you asked me who I wanted to be the one spending the 100 million we hopefully gets allocated this summer, then he would be very far down my list.

Good job it'll be Dean Smith who gets to choose who he wants to buy then...

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

under MON players brought in was entirely down to the manager and scouting reports. That old school approach is well and truly dead in modern football. 

Call me old fashioned (I know I am):D, but that old school approach could still work today in my opinion, with the right scouts and the right manager .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Muriel said:

I am a danish Villa fan who knows him quite well, even though he isn't someone who has given many interviews.

First and foremost it has come as a big surprise in Denmark that he has been able to land such a job. Contrary to many reports he wasn't responsible for the transfers at FC Copenhagen. Copenhagen's long term manager, Ståle Solbakken, is the one who is taking care of those mainly, but Lange has been assisting him. Therefore it also seems a huge step going from being number 2 in Copenhagen to being number 1 at Villa, if we assume that his role is more like a european-type sporting director who is responsible for transfers. That is the model every other club than Copenhagen for example uses in Denmark.

His reputation in Denmark is honestly mixed. Copenhagen have in recent years not delivered great, and particularly this season has been poor, where their recruitment have received a lot of criticism. They have by far the biggest budget in Denmark, but seems to have been at least momentarily overtaken by Midtjylland, who is also owned by Benham, the Brentford owner. Midtjylland, like Brentford, have a very statistical approach to the game and signings, which seems to be working quite well for them, whereas Copenhagen's recruitment is more of a mystery to me. In recent years Copenhagen has focussed mostly on the danish leagues but have also bought players from around the continent. Some have been a huge success but many also a failure.. I honestly don't know how they decide which players they are signing, but I have a feeling they focus on scouting the players on scene. However Copenhagen also has a very particular way of playing, and I assume it is important for them to know that players fit into that style. However, I have also seen him described as a "data nerd", but I am not really sure which approach he prefers. 

A part of his job he has done very well however turning Copenhagen's youth development around. For many years they weren't really producing anything, but in recent years they have had very good players come through and are now considered one of the best academy's in Denmark. To my understanding he has been the main guy responsible for that. I do think that he seems very intelligent, and he comes from an organization which for many years have had huge success. I would say that i trust him in terms of improving the organization and creating a more defined strategy for the football club. However, if you asked me who I wanted to be the one spending the 100 million we hopefully gets allocated this summer, then he would be very far down my list.

Thanks for this. I do think we will see some heavy investment in our youth finally. No more loans until they are 23. Sounds promising on that front. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Well its not impossible for a player to have a bad season though i know some Villa fans are short term minded. 

El Ghazi for example should have had over 10 goals this season from his missed chances . Puts them in he is a 20 million player. Not impossible for him to practice finishing over the summer and improve like our defence did

It's possible we could make a few mill on each of them. I'd get Ghazi, Jota, Samatta sold keep Trez because of his work rate and the ability to pop up out the blue with a goal here n there, good sub for next season to be fair he seems to of learnt positioning since restart.

Ghazi is like Davis in that we have collected a few player who are ineffective in the area they play, just that Davis always plays much better than Ghazi. For me selling Ghazi is priority he may do well else where but i cant see him doing well in premier, he had that chance and also has a season over this seasons new players so he should of been used to English football much more than the rest. Also didnt like Ghazi attitude on few occasions this season, which was one of the reasons Smith was questioned over his softness with players and unable to make a squad player earn there place back after putting a foot wrong.

I know nothing of this new sporting director to be honest, so if anyone can enlighten me that would be fantastic.

My only guess if that he knows the foreign football world transfer market very well and that he makes really good signings. Also Will his signings be better knowing he is now in a better league and he has to find players he always wanted at the club he came from but couldnt due to restrictions, assume they will be.

(Lange has experience of English football having worked as assistant to Stale Solbakken during his spell as manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers during the 2012-13 season.)- Makes me feel like he has a fair bit of experience in his area and that he will achieve a good name for himself at our club knowing he made good signings for wolves back then.

Hope he serves Villa well and congratulations to him.

Edited by Dave-R

Â