Johan Lange

hippo

“This past season we were able to navigate a very difficult transition into the Premier League and are happy with the effort to stay up. But we will not be satisfied until we achieve our goal of bringing sustainable success to Aston Villa at the top tier of European football. 

Interesting words. Clearly were satisfied with survival last season but will need to see progress, and not accept another season like it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No, no, no. You slap price tags on your own players.

You table bids to SMASH your transfer record.

Or preparing an attractive package unless you're monitoring the situation as well as keeping tabs on him.

Only what I've just read and that it looks promising. Regularly finding good and cheap young players for Copenhagen and then flipping them for a lot more money (sounds like Brentford), but also winning their league every year and getting through qualifying into the Champs League. Signed players like Skov apparently. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No, no, no. You slap price tags on your own players.

You table bids to SMASH your transfer record.

You open up the  war chest in order to get out the chequebook in order  to smash your transfer record.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Just now, alexvilla4 said:

As well as recruitment I hope he can also do the performance analysis and sports medicine bit well. I still feel that we are way behind other clubs in this area and there is lots of scope for improvement

I saw a job advert Villa were recruiting for analysts. The advert is old mind you. So maybe we'll be looking at increasing the department size. 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds like he can flip players at a profit then 

Which some won't like but I think that's exactly how villa should be selling themselves right now 

Exactly my reading of the appointment.

I wonder where that will put Grealish, I imagine everyone will have his price, but I am also sure the board know the value of their assets. Also makes sense to allow him to develop for 1 more season, with a more settled squad and better players around him.

Posted in the other thread from SKY

FC Copenhagen's transfer triumphs: Johan Lange explains their success

FC Copenhagen have become experts at finding value in the market. Ahead of their Europa League tie against Celtic, Adam Bate spoke to the club's technical director Johan Lange to find out how they do it...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11931483/fc-copenhagens-transfer-triumphs-johan-lange-explains-their-success

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Exactly my reading of the appointment.

I wonder where that will put Grealish, I imagine everyone will have his price, but I am also sure the board know the value of their assets. Also makes sense to allow him to develop for 1 more season, with a more settled squad and better players around him.

Yeah try and give him 1 more year at least with the added quality around him and see what we do

The key word is sustainable

They obviously want us to hit the heights but not necessarily at the cost of £150m to themselves every summer 

Flipping players is dependant on them being quality too so I don't see why it's such a dirty concept, the only issue with it is eventually the conveyor belt goes through young, milner, downing and lands at nzogbia... 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

O'hare got signed by the team we loaned him to. If we had loaned him out before we could have got 300-400k for him which would cover the expenses of another group of youth players quite nicely. That is what the top teams do. Their youth players get game time for league 1 and championship clubs and if they aren't good enough for the prem they sell them for under 1 million but that helps cover a bunch of youth signings like Barry and any other players we sign in the future. 

A few assumptions built in there.

Coventry must have known o'hare was in the last year of his contract and that villa weren't going to offer him a new one.  So rather than stump £400k they just waited and got him for nothing. Theyd have been bonkers to do anything else IMO.

Underwhelming imo..The whole reason his strategy worked was because FC copenhagen was in europe every season..take that away and the system falls flat on its face..time will tell if this is an astute signing or a total disaster

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Underwhelming imo..The whole reason his strategy worked was because FC copenhagen was in europe every season..take that away and the system falls flat on its face..time will tell if this is an astute signing or a total disaster

What?

How does buy low, sell high get affected by European competition?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Premier league is as big a draw for many players. 

because they were buying low..playing those players in europe and using the "they have played in the europa league" to inflate the asking prices..

Do you think buying players for 800k and selling them for 8m is going to work with the villa?.

The whole thing smacks to me of turning us into a selling club like brentford...We need to be building a team to compete in europe not to sell them on in 12 months imo

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
  • Like 1

Just now, OLDVILLAIN said:

because they were buying low..playing those players in europe and using the "they have played in the europa league" to inflate the asking prices..

Whereas we can use "Premier league experience" to inflate their price... 

We buy some unknown kid this summer for £2m he's a world beater, when man City come in for him next summer you think he's only worth £5m because he didn't play in europe? 

19 teams who aren't West brom can chuck £20m+ at any player they want 

Â