Johan Lange

hippo

11 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Has a good record with Copenhagen in unearthing gems and selling them on for a profit. Ruthless Villa me like it. Evidently this was being done behind the scenes.

how about keeping them to play football, maybe thats a plan too.

I will reserve my judgment.....but best of luck to him and I hope it turns out well.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

how about keeping them to play football, maybe thats a plan too.

I will reserve my judgment.....but best of luck to him and I hope it turns out well.

Our situation will be quite difficult to Copenhagen due to the strength of their league, so the goals and approach may be a touch different...however I have no issue with us buying players and selling for a profit provided they do a great service to the club during their time with us, and we replace adequately. Ultimately if we lost Douglas Luiz this summer to Man City for lets say 25million due to a clause (I know there's a clause here but making up the numbers for argument sake), I think we'd almost be a touch dissapointment despite making a profit because he's only recently started to make an obvious positive contribution on the pitch. However if we sold him next summer after an excellent premier league campaign for 50 million we'd consider that great business (provided we replaced him well). 

Ultimately we should always be looking to make profits on players as it shows a successful recruitment strategy where players are improving with their time here and we've found value in the market...it doesn't mean we are selling the whole team every summer.

• Like 2

Happy to see the club act quickly. It suggests that they have a clear plan. I presume Lange will have been identified several weeks back and is prepared for this transfer window.  Also reading the PR it seems a big part of his focus will be on advancing our  sports science and player development.

I guess I expected us to be hiring away the DOF from a PL or La Liga or Bundesliga club. This feels risky and looking down, not up.

How many Premier league level players has he recruited before?

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

How many Premier league level players has he recruited before?

Could not tell you.

All I can tell you from looking up is he joined Wolves in 2013 (date not known), they got relegated in 23rd place to EFL league 2. Then in 2014 they gained promotion by winning the league back to championship. In 2015 they managed a 7th in the championship.

I do not know how long Johan Lange was at Wolves for or which players he had signed but it seemed like he aided in getting them moving in the right way once more, at least I hope so. That's what I'm hoping he does at Villa helps move us in right direction to a solid league position with europe a thing again.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Could not tell you.

All I can tell you from looking up is he joined Wolves in 2013 (date not known), they got relegated in 23rd place to EFL league 2. Then in 2014 they gained promotion by winning the league back to championship. In 2015 they managed a 7th in the championship.

I do not know how long Johan Lange was at Wolves for or which players he had signed but it seemed like he aided in getting them moving in the right way once more, at least I hope so. That's what I'm hoping he does at Villa helps move us in right direction to a solid league position with europe a thing again.

Great context thanks. Sadly make me feel worse. 2013 was pre takeover and pre mendes. edit: see below Solbakken.

Jota , Wily Boly and the like was 2016 onwards. Its that level of quality and better we need our DOF to be able to find. Again nothing against this bloke, but he is going to be our pathfinder for the club and I would feel more confident if he had more experience with our kind of requirements.

But he is here now so obviously I hope he does well. Just not sure what he can bring to the party.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At Wolves he had a completely different role, he was assistant manager to Solbakken, was only there for six months then they replaced Solbakken with Dean Saunders and were relegated to league one. I suppose in that sense he's a bit like Steve Round, in that he from being a coach to being a Sporting Director, hopefully he proves to be more succesful than Steve Round was for us, at least Lange's case he actually has experience in the role, and has done a good job by all accounts.

Think it will be good to hear what he has to say, hopefully he does some sort of an interview.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

find us a Yaya Toure, go on spoil yourself,Johan.

One of my favourite players of all time.

I know Barcelona had Busquets, Mascherano and Keita to fulfill the role Yaya might've had there, but imo Yaya is the best all-rounded individual of those mentioned.

If he was to emulate the playing career he had with City only instead playing for Barcelona in the years following his move, I think they would've been at another level. Scary.

Sure, it'd be nice to have a 6'2 guy whose athleticism and strength is equally matched by his technique, composure, poise and positional awareness, like Yaya.

However I think if we get in a midfielder who can complement McGinn and Luiz in whatever system Smith employs then we are laughing.

Drinkwater was meant to be that guy, and unfortunately wasn't. N'Zonzi was too, had that one happened we would of had some serious ability in midfield when fully fit.

I also would've loved to of seen what Gaitan brought into the equation as the dynamic of having a front three where everybody contributes adequately would've made a difference.

Same goes for the midfield and as mentioned above having only two players in a midfield three performing to the standards we need can result in costly compromises.

I'm super excited to see what the future holds for Villa, we've managed to turn that corner and prevent the free fall of further demise and disappointment. 

Staying up means that a lot of good foundational work put in doesn't come undone and we're set to build upwards, as opposed to a back to the drawing board scenario.

Hopefully this appointment enables management to successfully dovetail responsibilities and recruitment.

58 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Not at all excited by this, struggle to see what he brings with him. Not the type of appointment I expected.

However welcome Johan best of luck.

What type of appointment were you expecting? 

Â