Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

A european super league sounds great with unlimited subs for the big clubs and maybe can have NFL style set piece subs or hockey line changes for set pieces

don't forget the cheerleaders and plenty of Gatorade 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

A european super league sounds great with unlimited subs for the big clubs and maybe can have NFL style set piece subs or hockey line changes for set pieces

Let them fill their boots with performance enhancers too. That I'd pay to watch. And by pay to watch I mean illegally stream.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After about 10 attempts now it looks the Premier League will finlly bring in 5 subs to help the big teams. Supported by managers Bruce and Moyes who have always coincidentally had players with muscle strains

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

After about 10 attempts now it looks the Premier League will finlly bring in 5 subs to help the big teams. Supported by managers Bruce and Moyes who have always coincidentally had players with muscle strains

Yeah saw that too. Tbf I get it because the number of muscle injuries is almost twice as many as during a regular season, as expected. And it will only get worse.

But at the same time this is the rule they voted on and set, the benefit with 5 subs will mainly be for the big rich clubs who have strong squads and who still have often not used their 3 subs so far.

And looking at it from a selfish standpoint we have a really weak squad and even now don't utilize the subs we have so for us there would be no benefit at all.

But I really don't like to see (most) players get injured.

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah saw that too. Tbf I get it because the number of muscle injuries is almost twice as many as during a regular season, as expected. And it will only get worse.

But at the same time this is the rule they voted on and set, the benefit with 5 subs will mainly be for the big rich clubs who have strong squads and who still have often not used their 3 subs so far.

And looking at it from a selfish standpoint we have a really weak squad and even now don't utilize the subs we have so for us there would be no benefit at all.

But I really don't like to see (most) players get injured.

But that's why the big clubs have mega squads.

Effing use them!

The issue is obviously a lack of rest between seasons, no real pre-season and a compressed schedule with too many games in too many competitions for the top players. And it's only just started.

5 subs would help to somewhat mitigate this but most managers in the PL (ours included) doesn't use even the 3 subs they have so maybe start with that before gagging for a mid season rule change. I hate those.

Let's be honest, if it were the bottom half clubs that were pushing this issue it would be dead in the water before it even got discussed.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Mcginn has played more minutes for Scotland than he has for villa this season 

But sure its the 5 subs that's the problem 

Is that true? I was just checking it out (because I was genuinely interested), and I think he’s played 630 mins for Villa and 621 for Scotland 😬

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea considering the mad schedule.

No reason why results shouldn't suddenly change, we beat Arsenal with 3 and 5 subs being available and not like Liverpool have much depth with all the injuries, half their bench will the under 12s who played us in the cup before too long.

Man. City bench also been made up of 4 defenders recently.

Chelsea at home imo was only match where 5 subs has impacted on result involving us, Chelsea just have insane depth in final third.

Edited by VillaChris

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think it's a good idea considering the mad schedule.

No reason why results shouldn't suddenly change, we beat Arsenal with 3 and 5 subs being available and not like Liverpool have much depth with all the injuries, half their bench will the under 12s who played us in the cup before too long.

Man. City bench also been made up of 4 defenders recently.

Chelsea at home imo was only match where 5 subs has impacted on result involving us, Chelsea just have insane depth in final third.

What happens then when players do get fit? Also forget us its not fair on teams like burnley who have smaller squads

54 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I like the idear of 5 subs,it makes the game more tactical.

With 3 subs,you only really use 2 because teams dont bring the third one on till the game is almost over.

Surely its the opposite?  3 subs and you have to think carefully and tactically. 

5 subs and if you are losing, you can change half your team, especially if you are Liverpool, Man City or Man Utd.

dutch and Italian leagues have already gone to 22 man match day squads, so is international football, with FIFA trying to scrap the loan system i can see that more likely than dropping down to 5 again even if that meant the PL would have to schedule the youth leagues around making players available 

but the number you should be allowed to bring on should be 3

whilst i agree that this season with the mad scheduling its not ideal to only have 3 at the same time i think its protectionism to the bigger clubs, Liverpool are struggling because they're competing in 4 cups and have a squad full of internationals and thats unfair on them because we are less competitive with fewer internationals? nah im not having that, they should be questioning the sanity of playing so many games rather than the number of subs allowed, any danger of liverpool bombing off their £80m a year prize money + increased sponsorship revenue european competition in order to have a fitter squad for their game vs leicester? absolutely none

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What happens then when players do get fit? Also forget us its not fair on teams like burnley who have smaller squads

Burnley actually have much better form with 5 subs available than going back to normal this season although you're right they don't have that big a squad so probably irrelevant to them.

22 man match day squads is purely about letting bigger clubs keep 22 superstars happy - it doesn't benefit the sport at all - sport should have a randomness to the outcome, it shouldn't just be about who has the money to pay most players - injuries and substitutions play a key role in keeping some sort of randomness in the sport. 

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

22 man match day squads is purely about letting bigger clubs keep 22 superstars happy - it doesn't benefit the sport at all - sport should have a randomness to the outcome, it shouldn't just be about who has the money to pay most players - injuries and substitutions play a key role in keeping some sort of randomness in the sport. 

I'm sure in Italy it's tied in to them having no reserve league 

Not a clue what they do if fifa scrap loans, juve for example currently have 31 players out on loan, inter 28, (which tells you why Fifa want to scrap the system) 

• Like 1

Â