Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Nearly 25 years ago. Can remember that open away end they used to have behind the goal. Won at Villa Park that season.

I agree it would be incredibly boring if it's just Norwich and Watford straight back up as top 2. Bournemouth don't look like they'll make the play offs at least so should have someone reasonably new come up.

I was at that match. John Gregory securing 9 wins out of the final 11 league matches. And I pick that one to attend.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After tonight Norwich will be on 87 points after 40 games, that's 12 more points than Leeds had at the same stage last season, and are 17 points clear of Watford in third place. They're also currently beating Huddersfield 7-0, so my prediction wasn't a very good one, although to be fair I wasn't expecting them to keep the likes of Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki, Aarons and so on. Will be interesting to see if they show more ambition next season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, villa89 said:

Not great for the league when two relegated teams stroll to automatic promotion first time of asking. Bournemouth could be in the playoffs too. 

I expect west brom and Sheffield United/fulham to be the same next year

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I expect west brom and Sheffield United/fulham to be the same next year

It's the way it's going, the gap is getting bigger all the time and the club's who get relegated can afford to keep their best players these days. No more fire sales. 

16 hours ago, useless said:

After tonight Norwich will be on 87 points after 40 games, that's 12 more points than Leeds had at the same stage last season, and are 17 points clear of Watford in third place. They're also currently beating Huddersfield 7-0, so my prediction wasn't a very good one, although to be fair I wasn't expecting them to keep the likes of Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki, Aarons and so on. Will be interesting to see if they show more ambition next season.

Fair play to you for remembering a bad prediction you made a year ago, and then owning up to it! Good intellectual habits, definitely a standard I don't live up to.

16 hours ago, useless said:

Not be be too concerned, I still recall countless Norwich fans on the reddit on soccer and championships subs screaming for Farke's head earlier in this season when they were about 4th...

• Like 1

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

I think that will become a future strategy, win championship, pocket cash and almost certainly go down, look to win again and then do the big spend. 

What do you mean future? That has been done a number of times already, it is exactly what Norwich have done.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Derby's new owner wants Champions League football. Thats about a stupid statement as Dr Tony said Villa would be one of the world 3 biggest football clubs.

I read about that deal recently and it did cross my mind that he seemed to be very sketchy, basically a Spanish Dr Tony.

On 06/04/2021 at 22:03, villa89 said:

Not great for the league when two relegated teams stroll to automatic promotion first time of asking. Bournemouth could be in the playoffs too. 

I think Covid situation really helped the relegated clubs this year.

As said above in a normal year no chances the likes of Sarr, Buendia, Cantwell, Max Aarons would've stayed after relegation but last summer prem clubs didn't really want to spend 20-30m getting some of those in so that's meant Norwich and Watford kept far better 11s than they though possible. Bournemouth aswell kept most of their squad.

When West Brom came down the other year they lost half their starting 11 for various reasons and same will probably happen again.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Derby's new owner wants Champions League football. Thats about a stupid statement as Dr Tony said Villa would be one of the world 3 biggest football clubs.

Well, maybe he predicted our current owners 😉

Well it looks like norwich watford up

Rotherham Wednesday and wycombe down.

Pretty unexciting season in the championship this year

Expect norwich will get relegated again. Then we see next season wba and fulham come back up again.

Â