Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Preston made the play off final a few times, disappointing they never got up

They were like a championship verison of us in the 2000s, made 4 play offs in that period but never got up despite having some really good players.

Way they're run is a bit odd, sold Calum Robinson and Jordan Hugill for nearly 20m over last 3 years and just sign league of Ireland players like Sean Maguire to replace them.:lol:

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

They were like a championship verison of us in the 2000s, made 4 play offs in that period but never got up despite having some really good players.

Way they're run is a bit odd, sold Calum Robinson and Jordan Hugill for nearly 20m over last 3 years and just sign league of Ireland players like Sean Maguire to replace them.:lol:

Looking at the squad and they have an interesting transfer policy alright, Ched Evans is now on loan and have David Nugent still and Paul Gallagher

Ben Pearson is somebody we could have went for in midfield but seems Bournemouth snapped him up

15 minutes ago, useless said:

It might not be the case now but I read somewhere last season, I think when he was being linked to West Brom, that Alex Neil is the highest paid manager in the championship.

He was about to go to West Brom in March 2019. Was a done deal but then didn't happen for some reason and he got a new long term deal out of PNE instead.

Daniel Johnson actually signed a new deal there the other day when it looked a cert he'd be leaving, was talk of Rangers last 6 months.

On 30/01/2021 at 11:34, MaVilla said:

Reading look nasty up front.

Joao, swift, elise and Ejaria look a really really potent front 4.

João is such a strange player, some weeks he looks a world beater then rest of the time looks rubbish.

The other three are all players who can play in the Premier League though for sure. Omar Richards is a good player too.

I hope they get promoted, they have a good academy and always willing to use it. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

It might not be the case now but I read somewhere last season, I think when he was being linked to West Brom, that Alex Neil is the highest paid manager in the championship.

Preston always spend big on wages with is bizarre as they sign marque players or gaffers.

He seems to be every 4 years there is a crisis with their wage bill.

Forest signed Glenn Murray today will probably get them goals to move up the table. Hughton getting the Brighton reunion in full swing, Knockaert, Murray and Bong

a year ago we were desperate for him on deadline day, shows how much we have moved on

On 01/02/2021 at 23:14, Zatman said:

Forest signed Glenn Murray today will probably get them goals to move up the table. Hughton getting the Brighton reunion in full swing, Knockaert, Murray and Bong

a year ago we were desperate for him on deadline day, shows how much we have moved on

Murray double and a goal for Knockaert today. Should have more than enough to pull themselves away from Blouse. 

Brentford can win the league, been on a brilliant run since early November and don't think they'll choke this time.

Was only a few weeks ago Norwich were miles clear and now they're in a big battle to hang onto top 2.

As much as I don't mind them as a club would be a bit of a boring promotion for them to come up again. Mind you Swansea have been up recently aswell and I don't want Reading up. Maybe Blackburn can come in with a really late winning run as they haven't been in prem for nearly a decade now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Brentford can win the league, been on a brilliant run since early November and don't think they'll choke this time.

Was only a few weeks ago Norwich were miles clear and now they're in a big battle to hang onto top 2.

As much as I don't mind them as a club would be a bit of a boring promotion for them to come up again. Mind you Swansea have been up recently aswell and I don't want Reading up. Maybe Blackburn can come in with a really late winning run as they haven't been in prem for nearly a decade now.

got a feeling the current top 6 will be the top 6 at the end of the season, barring something strange happening.

Dont see anyone pulling a Villa this year 😜

Brentford were never in this position last season, they were always chasing, they should have beat one of Stoke or Barnsley at the end of the season, but only reason they were in with a chance in the first place was because of Albion's sudden drop in form, Albion went from being as good as Leeds up until lockdown to midtable form after lockdown.

After 28 games last season they were on 47 points, that's ten less than they have now. Also interesting to note that Albion and Leeds were on 53 and 52 points, so doing better than those two were doing this time last season as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Brentford were never in this position last season, they were always chasing, they should have beat one of Stoke or Barnsley at the end of the season, but only reason they were in with a chance in the first place was because of Albion's sudden drop in form, Albion went from being as good as Leeds up until lockdown to midtable form after lockdown.

After 28 games last season they were on 47 points, that's ten less than they have now. Also interesting to note that Albion and Leeds were on 53 and 52 points, so doing better than those two were doing this time last season as well.

Hope they do it just to see what they'd do with the Prem money. They've had the best transfer strategy in the country for the last few years but brexit will hurt them and they'll have to deal with more of the extortionate fees associated with English players.

They could just go and sign loads of South Americans though I guess.

• Like 4

Ivan Toney is the the leagues top scorer, and has provided the most assists. They did alright replacing Watkins didn’t they?!

I hope they come up, will be refreshing having them in the Premier League. The way they operate I could see them going from strength to strength too. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

One of the biggest suprises for me is stoke.  I thought they would be challenging for the title. 

Agricultural football that's their issue.  Most teams that do well play decent footy these days in the Championship.  Top 3 Brentford, Norwich and Swansea for example.

I would like to see Brentford come up but we'll have to accept they'll be taking 4 points off us if our previous record against them is anything to go by.

Selfishly I want Reading too as it's just down the road from me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Ivan Toney is the the leagues top scorer, and has provided the most assists. They did alright replacing Watkins didn’t they?!

I hope they come up, will be refreshing having them in the Premier League. The way they operate I could see them going from strength to strength too. 

I've come to respect them a lot. They'd be a credit to the league, and I think they'd cope well.

I also can't quite believe just how good Toney has been for them. They just keep finding these gems over and over. Just think what they could uncover with a PL budget.

• Like 1

Â