Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

not really, they could have appointed Henry

Not necessarily saying he will be a terrible choice - who knows, he might not - but you can't use this as an argument. They only 'could have appointed Henry' because they were sniffing around him; they don't get credit for a bad decision just because they were also contemplating a different bad decision at the same time.

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Woodgate almost ruined boro. Woodgates already hit a poor run of form after 5-6 games

Ruined Boro? They have had 1 top flight season in about 15 seasons. Boro have bigger issues

Woodgate might be shit but has wom 3 out if 6 including at Burnley in the cup. Bournemouth were obviously not great in the 1st place if they sacked the othet manager

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ruined Boro? They have had 1 top flight season in about 15 seasons. Boro have bigger issues

Woodgate might be shit but has wom 3 out if 6 including at Burnley in the cup. Bournemouth were obviously not great in the 1st place if they sacked the othet manager

The point is they have replaced a very inexperienced manager with another that flopped at his last job and his had a coaching history there. 

Poor appointment and i predict he wont even get them in the play offs

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

Colin rocket polisher has won as many games at Boro than Woodgate did, despite playing half the games

Woodgate was the worst of a poor run of managers there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Norwich look certs to go up automatically, and the race for the other auto promotion place looks to be dwindling. And if Barnsley win their game in hand there looks to be a gap between 6th and 7th that might separate the pack

If Norwich goes up (very likely), I would like to see Brentford and maybe Barnsley join them. Not that they would survive in the PL, but I would like the jojo teams to be more than the regulars (Norwich, Fulham, WBA,...). Spreading the parachute payments across more different teams should make the championship more competitive.

• Like 2

No reason why Brentford if promoted shouldn't be able to give staying up a good go, they've probably already got a number of players good enough for the premier league, some of them maybe good enough for midtable clubs and potentially higher, looking at their squad David Raya, Pinnock, Henry, DaSilva, Mbeumo, and Toney all stand out, and I've probably overlooked some of the others as haven't seen much of them this season, but I think Canos, Forss, and Jensen are all meant to be highly rated.

They've probably got a stronger squad than the one that Leeds came up with last season and Sheffield United the season before, so if they do manage to get promotion and they spend wisely then wouldn't be surprised to see them do well. All that said promotion far from guaranteed at the moment as championship is more competitive than usual at the top.

After today, 5 point gap between 5/6 spot (& playoffs) and Bournemouth in 7th. Looking like that might be growing too as well

The promotion race is really heating up b/t Swansea, Brentford, and Watford though 

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Everyone they beat calls them long ball merchants, Rooney other day said they were most direct team he's ever come across.

Ive not seen them play but Valerien Ismael is getting a lot of praise. Apparently very high pressing and low budget team with Billy Beane on the board 

I watched the first half of Barnsley vs small heath last weekend and both teams looked as bad as each other, was surprised by Barnsley as they'd just won six games in a row. That said I also watched about twenty minutes of small heath v Bristol City today, and again Bristol City weren't very good either, so might just be that small heath bring the opposition down to their level.  Either way don't really mind how they play, would rather see Barnsley come up rather than one of the teams that have recently been in the premier league.

11 hours ago, useless said:

I watched the first half of Barnsley vs small heath last weekend and both teams looked as bad as each other, was surprised by Barnsley as they'd just won six games in a row. That said I also watched about twenty minutes of small heath v Bristol City today, and again Bristol City weren't very good either, so might just be that small heath bring the opposition down to their level.  Either way don't really mind how they play, would rather see Barnsley come up rather than one of the teams that have recently been in the premier league.

Barnsley have 

• Like 1

Jordan Rhodes with the goal, remember his Dad (former pro) battering a young Shepshed Dynamo fan after a non league game because he'd been shouting "You fat bastard" at every goal kick. Rhodes (not the most intelligent), shouting "it's after the game" over and over again at the shocked crowd as he swung punches into the young lads head!

20 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Barnsley have 

Off topic but whenever I think of Barnsley in the premier league, I immediately think of Neil Redfearn who was quite sought after despite Barnsley’s  subsequent relegation. He joined Charlton the next season and once again got relegated only to move to Bradford the following season who ultimately finished.... 17th. 

Third time’s the charm I guess.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Barnsley have 

Nearly 25 years ago. Can remember that open away end they used to have behind the goal. Won at Villa Park that season.

I agree it would be incredibly boring if it's just Norwich and Watford straight back up as top 2. Bournemouth don't look like they'll make the play offs at least so should have someone reasonably new come up.

• Like 1

Â