The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

15 hours ago, Genie said:

Disney shedding 28,000 jobs in the US. Others likely to follow at their theme parks in Japan, China & Paris.

I assume if Disney are struggling that badly then the likes of Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens etc will be releasing people too.

Anybody that works in a business that sells tickets to people, or to business's that benefit from the presence of those people will be doing the same. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Luckiest company on the planet,  launched the streaming just before Covid.

Without that they would be in even more trouble.  Animation also,  can be made anywhere.

It was originally planned for November launch but they pulled it forward 6 months when they saw the crisis unfolding.

When cash flow is king it was a very smart move.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

On 29/09/2020 at 17:11, Davkaus said:

Thanks mate, that means a lot.

This serves you right for calling me a word removed the other day ;)

(I think that was you, apologies if it wasn't)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This serves you right for calling me a word removed the other day ;)

(I think that was you, apologies if it wasn't)

I’m quite disappointed he didn’t say plethora.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised they've lasted this long. The current release schedule for the blockbusters that keep cinemas going is basically blank. And you'd be nuts to go to any venue where you're sitting indoors with large numbers of other people for any length of time.

Except the office. You must go to the office. The virus is killed by the presence of spreadsheets and Outlook.

On 01/10/2020 at 13:01, OutByEaster? said:

Anybody that works in a business that sells tickets to people, or to business's that benefit from the presence of those people will be doing the same. 

Aren't the US airlines starting lay offs this week as well? The March deal kept them from lay offs until October 5th, but now there's a big number coming from American alone. For the entire sector the numbers are probably massive. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Was reading that towards end of the year there house prices will plummet and there is a real danger of a lot of people going into negative equity.

Scary times ahead

It’s always a risk, i don’t see it happening before the stamp duty holiday ends in March personally. That will keep the market active.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s always a risk, i don’t see it happening before the stamp duty holiday ends in March personally. That will keep the market active.

You could be right although things are slowing down near me i have noticed.

With xmas approachong its usually dead until march time so i thinknit may start before the stamp duty holiday ends

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Was reading that towards end of the year there house prices will plummet and there is a real danger of a lot of people going into negative equity.

Scary times ahead

No chance. Demand still massively outstrips supply. Prices may stagnate or drop slightly but not plummet IMO

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

No chance. Demand still massively outstrips supply. Prices may stagnate or drop slightly but not plummet IMO

Under normal circumstances i agree but the main problem is how bad does unemployment get and how worried people are to spend money.

This seems like its going to be even worse than the credit crunch

13 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

we have tried the masks , lockdown etc ...it has not worked 

at some point you have to let it go, stop all the rule of 6 & open every thing again, 

holidays, gigs, pubs , the lot , just let it go

Not worked? I'm just guessing here, but things could be a lot worse right? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

at some point you have to let it go, stop all the rule of 6 & open every thing again, 

You remember that time when pubs were locked down, people had to work from home and the death figures were approaching single digits. Then things reopened, people started wearing masks as lip and neck warmers, felt they were invincible with them and as a result the figures have started to creep up. What you are suggesting will see a dramatic increase. The selfish won’t care as long as they get their gigs, holidays, football and nights out it won’t matter. It might matter to others, but not to them. 

3 hours ago, cbr600rr said:

You think if everything reopened the infection rate, hospitalisation numbers and deaths wouldn’t rocket up?

Current situation is not as good as it should be, but it’s far better then it would be if everyone completely gave up.

Â