The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

@chrisp65What have they blocked off as non-essential? Without knowing it looks like duvets and bedding?

There’s no official list.

The advice from ‘the top’ is don’t make non-essential purchases. If you can wait 2 weeks to buy a candle or a pedal bin, you should.

What we have now is bedwetters advance panicking and ‘banning’ the sale of duvets and birthday cards. Plus some plod will love the extra power and try to ban biscuits.

You’ll find the shops will decide birthday cards and socks are banned, £20 bottles of Famous Grouse will be ‘essential’.

I can’t get massively wound up by it, to be honest.

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I can’t get massively wound up by it, to be honest.

I can.

I don't know what pisses me off more. Candidate one is the complete 180 - we've gone from "yeah you can go to the pub" (they were open in Wales too right?), and don't worry about masks in schools (again, I have an English centric view, was this the case in Wales?), to "while you're in that shop you're going to go to anyway, you can't go down some aisles. It feels like there was some middle ground.

Candidate 2 is the lack of definition. "non essential" is meaningless, and if there's one thing I learned in March and April, it's that the nation has no shortage of mini-hitlers, salivating at the thought of being able to abuse these vague emergency powers. And there's no excuse. None at all. We knew this was coming, these restrictions shouldn't need to be rushed out. We've had **** months to prepare, and "don't sell stuff people don't need" is what they could come up with? Absolutely **** useless. I'm surprised people aren't rioting. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Yeah, I do completely get that @Davkaus and you’re right, it’s piss poor.

Still this attempt to rely on some psychic common ‘common sense’ which if it was real, we wouldn’t be in this situation in the first place.

Particularly galling here, because our rate per 100,000 is close to zero.

But being selfish, I don’t currently need a pedal bin or a Yankee candle, and it made my walk this evening wonderfully quiet and peaceful.

Who knows, perhaps it’ll be more difficult to buy fireworks.

I’m knackered, knackered due to work, fatigued with the whole thing. Perhaps I’ll feel different tomorrow when I fancy a walk on the beach and some little hitler tries to stop me.

• Like 1

What if my toaster breaks and I need a new one? I'm not a toaster snob so i'd pick a cheap one up from the supermarket when I do my weekly shop*. Except its not 'essential' so I need to make a separate visit to an electrical retailer (I assume they are still open?) to buy it. Therefore putting me in contact with more people. Seems pointless. 

* The above is a hypothetical solution as I don't live in Wales or own a toaster anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can.

I don't know what pisses me off more. Candidate one is the complete 180 - we've gone from "yeah you can go to the pub" (they were open in Wales too right?), and don't worry about masks in schools (again, I have an English centric view, was this the case in Wales?), to "while you're in that shop you're going to go to anyway, you can't go down some aisles. It feels like there was some middle ground.

Candidate 2 is the lack of definition. "non essential" is meaningless, and if there's one thing I learned in March and April, it's that the nation has no shortage of mini-hitlers, salivating at the thought of being able to abuse these vague emergency powers. And there's no excuse. None at all. We knew this was coming, these restrictions shouldn't need to be rushed out. We've had **** months to prepare, and "don't sell stuff people don't need" is what they could come up with? Absolutely **** useless. I'm surprised people aren't rioting. 

Absolutely.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

What if my toaster breaks and I need a new one? I'm not a toaster snob so i'd pick a cheap one up from the supermarket when I do my weekly shop*. Except its not 'essential' so I need to make a separate visit to an electrical retailer (I assume they are still open?) to buy it. Therefore putting me in contact with more people. Seems pointless. 

* The above is a hypothetical solution as I don't live in Wales or own a toaster anyway

Not sure on this mate. Sounds to me like you’ve been holding out on committing to a toaster until the right one comes along 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Xela said:

* The above is a hypothetical solution as I don't live in Wales or own a toaster anyway. 

You don’t own a toaster? You need to sort out your priorities. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not sure on this mate. Sounds to me like you’ve been holding out on committing to a toaster until the right one comes along 🤔

I've been let down by all the previous toasters, I just don't think there is one out there for me. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, JB said:

Shame. Really fancied catching up on Redknapp’s latest. 

9AC09CFF-9E60-4A68-B631-9AFA54EBA9FE.jpeg

That's an excellently framed photo of this lunacy, IMO. I know we're not talking about the Classics here, but I'm not sure anything sums up Britain quite like chocolate being considered more essential than books.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Toasters are shit. Use the grill.

Thats what I do on the 2 or 3 times a year I fancy toast! 

I generally don't buy bread either.

Â