The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

On 11/10/2020 at 08:56, bickster said:

One step beyond...

True, but given the behavior of people in many disparate countries during this time, one does wonder how many years would it take for a proper majority (>67%) to think this way?

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

True, but given the behavior of people in many disparate countries during this time, one does wonder how many years would it take for a proper majority (>67%) to think this way?

c35.gif

• Haha 2

That is awful @OutByEaster? . Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that because I'm seriously considering doing weird stuff on webcams for oligarchs at the moment .

Luckily it's just myself I have to worry about but this must be a nightmare for people with family and mortgages. 

UBI is going to have to come in soon.

• Like 1

A thread on borrowing to pay for the pandemic costs, question posed by Armando Iannuci with the reply from a former professor of economics at Birmingham university.

I don’t really understand it, but it may be of some interest to others.

• Thanks 1

Marcus Rashford is a remarkable young man. I know he has the platform but full credit to him for using it in such a positive way. That his plea comes from personal experience only makes it stronger.

Fair play play to the Welsh government for stepping up not just for the next school holiday but for the school holidays during the next 6 months or so. Hopefully others will follow suit it is a shame though, although zero surprise,  that once again The Tories have be dragged and almost shamed into it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finchley Tube Station has a car park alongside it that charges £6 a day.

Parking around Finchley / Barnet is pretty scarce, so I thought I’d try the tube car park at just after 8:00am, to be honest, just thinking there’s always the chance 1 car has just left.

Parking capacity for 160 cars, there were about a dozen, maybe twenty cars in there. At 8:00am on a Monday.

On 17/10/2020 at 15:44, markavfc40 said:

Marcus Rashford is a remarkable young man. I know he has the platform but full credit to him for using it in such a positive way. That his plea comes from personal experience only makes it stronger.

Fair play play to the Welsh government for stepping up not just for the next school holiday but for the school holidays during the next 6 months or so. Hopefully others will follow suit it is a shame though, although zero surprise,  that once again The Tories have be dragged and almost shamed into it.

I read something recently that Roc Nation want all of their clients to get involved in activism and the Twitter accounts of their top players are managed by the same lady.

Still very smart for him to identify a problem that is close to his heart and use his lived experience to amplify it.

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Finchley Tube Station has a car park alongside it that charges £6 a day.

Parking around Finchley / Barnet is pretty scarce, so I thought I’d try the tube car park at just after 8:00am, to be honest, just thinking there’s always the chance 1 car has just left.

Parking capacity for 160 cars, there were about a dozen, maybe twenty cars in there. At 8:00am on a Monday.

What you doing round my areas? Got lost 😉

Barnet/fincherly is notoriously shit for parking. They have made most of the area resident parking. 

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What you doing round my areas? Got lost 😉

Barnet/fincherly is notoriously shit for parking. They have made most of the area resident parking. 

Not lost no, although the sat have on the new car has some hysterical pronunciations, there’s literally not a town it can get right. 

I think now is as good as parking is ever going to get, there were spaces everywhere. Although street parking in Isleworth did cost me £7.50 for a few hours to park on an otherwise empty street. Ordinarily, I’d park up in the Westfield for the day and zip round on that awful tube. But I’m going nowhere near the tube right now, I don’t care if its relatively quiet, tubes and trains are off limits for me for the time being.

I drove up the M4, up along Wembley, Finchley, a quick drive by errand in Muswell Hill and then down to Brentford, then Isleworth, along Heathrow and then home along the length of the M4 and not once there or back on a week day did I encounter anything you could describe as congestion or queuing. There’s an upside to every pandemic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Not lost no, although the sat have on the new car has some hysterical pronunciations, there’s literally not a town it can get right. 

I think now is as good as parking is ever going to get, there were spaces everywhere. Although street parking in Isleworth did cost me £7.50 for a few hours to park on an otherwise empty street. Ordinarily, I’d park up in the Westfield for the day and zip round on that awful tube. But I’m going nowhere near the tube right now, I don’t care if its relatively quiet, tubes and trains are off limits for me for the time being.

I drove up the M4, up along Wembley, Finchley, a quick drive by errand in Muswell Hill and then down to Brentford, then Isleworth, along Heathrow and then home along the length of the M4 and not once there or back on a week day did I encounter anything you could describe as congestion or queuing. There’s an upside to every pandemic.

Come round enfield at 3pm and you will change your mind 

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Amey hand back the contract and the keys to the trains in Wales.

Transport for Wales now nationalised.

While its good news aren't all rail services nationalised at the moment?

7 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

While its good news aren't all rail services nationalised at the moment?

16 private rail franchises still operating at the moment. That’s my understanding unless someone else can update me.

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Amey hand back the contract and the keys to the trains in Wales.

Transport for Wales now nationalised.

So Amey make profit from it during the good times, and can chuck in the contract at will during the bad times?   
Making the whole contract risk-free and overall profitable for them?  

Surely they should be made to stick to the contract terms at all times, not just when they feel like?

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So Amey make profit from it during the good times, and can chuck in the contract at will during the bad times?   
Making the whole contract risk-free and overall profitable for them?  

Surely they should be made to stick to the contract terms at all times, not just when they feel like?

I think the model collapsed, the trains are empty.

So technically, yes, they could have let them collapse and then picked up the pieces. I think they’ve decided to underwrite the costs of keeping it going and keeping people employed and keeping a service for those that absolutely need it. That’s an absolute guess.

Â