The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Which industry is this?

Third party software for the NHS.

I expected things would grind to a halt because they'd be too busy to allow deployments, but if anything, we've had a period of intense crunch because of their keenness to get better systems in place before the winter moratorium. I think we're probably safe, because if there's one thing they're not going to want to cut, it's NHS funding. I thought focus might shift away from IT projects, but it certainly hasn't so far, and we've been able to offer extra functionality to support with Covid. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I expected things would grind to a halt because they'd be too busy to allow deployments, but if anything, we've had a period of intense crunch because of their keenness to get better systems in place before the winter moratorium. I think we're probably safe, because if there's one thing they're not going to want to cut, it's NHS funding. I thought focus might shift away from IT projects, but it certainly hasn't so far, and we've been able to offer extra functionality to support with Covid. 

That’s good to hear!

I’m in automotive, it’s still pretty dicey but ironically it’s demand in China keeping the lights on. Hopefully the second wave isn’t too brutal and people keep buying cars.

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Our software sucks at our trust

14 minutes ago, villakram said:

Ran past a sign for a commercial lease (office space of the dental practice/tax advisor size) yesterday morning.

Large red letters "6 months free rent (plus some build outs)".

6 months rent free is pretty standard for commercial properties, in the UK at least. It's not at all uncommon to get high demand, top of the market offices with 12-18 months rent free agreed in London.

I can see how that makes sense for commercial property, actually. It's a big investment, but once a company picks a location, it typically takes a lot to get them to move, once you've got one, they could stay put paying rent for decades.

Just now, Davkaus said:

I can see how that makes sense for commercial property, actually. It's a big investment, but once a company picks a location, it typically takes a lot to get them to move, once you've got one, they could stay put paying rent for decades.

It also helps landlords to try and push prices up on new lettings as they can advertise achieving a higher 'headline rent' (ie what is paid after the rent free ends).

35 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

6 months rent free is pretty standard for commercial properties, in the UK at least. It's not at all uncommon to get high demand, top of the market offices with 12-18 months rent free agreed in London.

In the US they don't even get free text messages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Our software sucks at our trust

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

My company produces software which the NHS uses. It may begin with a Q.

I came across from the financial regulatory business when they acquired my last company.

I'm guessing it's the software which Dem is referring to.

45 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm guessing it's the software which Dem is referring to.

He could be referring to pretty much any NHS software, its all pretty shite

I'm guessing, but I presume this is because NHS managers will be involved in the design brief, sadly these rocket polishers rarely have much of a clue as to what the staff that will be using the software need it to do to function.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm guessing, but I presume this is because NHS managers will be involved in the design brief, sadly these rocket polishers rarely have much of a clue as to what the staff that will be using the software need it to do to function.

In my experience this is spot on.

It is shit. Not trying to be horrible to @Davkaus but its very true. Its not very good software- we have countless problems with it our trust.

You would think nhs should have good software when you consider how inportant the nhs is

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is pretty fair. I'm pretty proud of the product I work on, but that's probably because we're not live yet, we've been burned on our last version, and this time we've basically just sat in our own bubble and built something new from the ground up, based on our learning from previous NHS related disasters.

On my last project we spent about 4 years in 6 monthly cycles of "we're about to go live" before the trusts replaced senior staff, and some billy big bollocks came in swinging his dick, redefining how everything should work. Then when it got out there, staff feedback was "well we generally like this, but why does it do this, and what does this mean? And this workflow makes no sense". Yeah, you don't say. That's the shit your bosses told us to put in.

This time, we're doing it all ourselves, when it's done, we'll be demoing it, and seeing what people think. If you don't like it, **** off, don't buy it. We basically needed our senior developers and QA staff to band together and say "this is what we're doing, if you don't let us, we quit" to management to make this happen though. It wasn't all NHs project managers, to be fair, we also had an unfortunate period of outsourcing, on which we've taken a similar stance. We won't work with offshored devs. Try to make us? We all quit, simple as that.  I **** hope it works. :)

None taken, @Demitri_C. I don't know which trust you work at, but I'm pretty certain you don't use anything I worked on :D 

Edited by Davkaus

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is pretty fair. I'm pretty proud of the product I work on, but that's probably because we're not live yet, we've been burned on our last version, and this time we've basically just sat in our own bubble and built something new from the ground up, based on our learning from previous NHS related disasters.

On my last project we spent about 4 years in 6 monthly cycles of "we're about to go live" before the trusts replaced senior staff, and some billy big bollocks came in swinging his dick, redefining how everything should work. Then when it got out there, staff feedback was "well we generally like this, but why does it do this, and what does this mean? And this workflow makes no sense". Yeah, you don't say. That's the shit your bosses told us to put in.

This time, we're doing it all ourselves, when it's done, we'll be demoing it, and seeing what people think. If you don't like it, **** off, don't buy it. We basically needed our senior developers and QA staff to band together and say "this is what we're doing, if you don't let us, we quit" to management to make this happen though. I **** hope it works. :)

None taken, @Demitri_C. I don't know which trust you work at, but I'm pretty certain you don't use anything I worked on :D 

I work for royal free in london. 

Maybe we should hire you then as it cant be as bad as our existing one!

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I work for royal free in london. 

Maybe we should hire you then as it cant be as bad as our existing one!

Ahha, you're not one of our customers. Tbf, I'm not especially proud of a lot of software our company has pumped out over the years, but we're getting there.

I work on electronic prescribing and administrations for an unspecified company, and most of the trusts we're looking to work with still use paper charts in 2020 ffs. 

Prescribers writing down all the drugs on paper in their shite handwriting, pharmacists trying to validate it, nurses giving doses on it, then when they run out of paper, they have a highly trained and paid pharmacist write the whole **** thing out again by hand. They may as well get a boulder, hammer and chisel.

Disney shedding 28,000 jobs in the US. Others likely to follow at their theme parks in Japan, China & Paris.

I assume if Disney are struggling that badly then the likes of Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens etc will be releasing people too.

Â