The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

A well earned 4% payrise for MPs. They'll hide behind it being recommended by an independent body, but then, lots of other public sector workers have pay reviews and recommendations by independent bodies. It's funny how it's only the ones for MPs that seem to sail through every time.

80k plus expenses isn't bad to ignore some letters and walk through the doorway you're instructed to, is it. I'm sure some well justify the role, but my new Tory backbench mp appears to be happy staying a living knowing he's almost certainly being kicked out again next time.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 13:06, Davkaus said:

A well earned 4% payrise for MPs. They'll hide behind it being recommended by an independent body, but then, lots of other public sector workers have pay reviews and recommendations by independent bodies. It's funny how it's only the ones for MPs that seem to sail through every time.

80k plus expenses isn't bad to ignore some letters and walk through the doorway you're instructed to, is it. I'm sure some well justify the role, but my new Tory backbench mp appears to be happy staying a living knowing he's almost certainly being kicked out again next time.

It’s not an awful lot of money, you can see why so many tory MP’s then need second and third jobs as consultants for these PPE start ups.

• Haha 1

A friend of mine was shopping yesterday and it was absolutely heaving.

I wonder if the pubs were last night? people having one big blow out before the new closures taut the government have made little effort to keep under wraps.

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We have a dilemma at the moment, at the football.

We’re in what is, financially, the worst possible position. The season is underway, we’ve played 7 games, we have to pay expenses, insurances, travel, pay for officials, lighting, all that.

But no fans are allowed in. We have a 2,500 seat stadium and standing space for that many again.. A gate of 500 would be exceptional, but apparently 500, or 400, or even 250 people stood watching footy in a stadium that could comfortably take thousands, is too much of a risk.

Personally, I still wouldn’t attend, but plenty would, and plenty want to and 200 or 300 times £8 would be an absolute lifeline. Not all the clubs in this league are going to make it to Christmas at this rate.

We know we can do advance ticket cashless entry with controlled numbers and we can set the social distancing in excess of 2 metres. 

I went to the beach yesterday, the cafes, the promenade, the chip shops were all really busy. Too busy for me to feel comfortable, I moved on elsewhere. How is that safer than 300 people in a stadium that had an attendance of 7,000 for a game against Aberdeen and 6,000 for a friendly against Man Utd?

What sort of money are the players on?

I was gobsmacked about 15 years ago when players at Tamworth were on more than £500 a week to train twice and play 1 game in non-league football. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

What sort of money are the players on?

I was gobsmacked about 15 years ago when players at Tamworth were on more than £500 a week to train twice and play 1 game in non-league football. 

It varies tremendously. Some players will literally have their legit expenses covered, others in three or four of the teams are on full time salary.

Rumour at the moment, the last two players ‘part time’ Bala signed were on £800 a week. That’s mind boggling against their income. We have exactly zero players on anything close to that sort of money. We pay less now than we did 20 years ago, literally less, not just ‘adjusted for inflation’ less. But we still have to get 15 players plus coaching staff to north wales 2 or 3 times a month. 

On a very rough round number, ground rent, lights, officials, travel and everything else is probably costing £15k a month. With almost zero income.

I’d guess, there are three or four clubs with costs that are double that and one club with costs around £50k a month.

• Sad 1

Imagine getting £42k a year to play football part time. People do it for free, or even pay to do it.

Even outside of a pandemic some non-league clubs are taking enormous risks financially with their wages.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If your company said "It's been a hard year this year, so to say thank you we've booked two tables at a Christmas party event, 20 of you can go and there will be 800 people there on the night" would you go?

Is this a real scenario?

Its amazingly reckless for a company to do it if so. 

On 09/10/2020 at 06:58, cbr600rr said:

we have tried the masks , lockdown etc ...it has not worked 

at some point you have to let it go, stop all the rule of 6 & open every thing again, 

holidays, gigs, pubs , the lot , just let it go

Madness

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If your company said "It's been a hard year this year, so to say thank you we've booked two tables at a Christmas party event, 20 of you can go and there will be 800 people there on the night" would you go?

How is that even legal?

You cabt even have a wedding fir more than 30 so how can a venue have 800 ppl there?

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

We’re in what is, financially, the worst possible position. The season is underway, we’ve played 7 games, we have to pay expenses, insurances, travel, pay for officials, lighting, all that.

But no fans are allowed in. We have a 2,500 seat stadium and standing space for that many again.. A gate of 500 would be exceptional, but apparently 500, or 400, or even 250 people stood watching footy in a stadium that could comfortably take thousands, is too much of a risk.

Personally, I still wouldn’t attend, but plenty would, and plenty want to and 200 or 300 times £8 would be an absolute lifeline. Not all the clubs in this league are going to make it to Christmas at this rate.

We know we can do advance ticket cashless entry with controlled numbers and we can set the social distancing in excess of 2 metres. 

I went to the beach yesterday, the cafes, the promenade, the chip shops were all really busy. Too busy for me to feel comfortable, I moved on elsewhere. How is that safer than 300 people in a stadium that had an attendance of 7,000 for a game against Aberdeen and 6,000 for a friendly against Man Utd?

I presume your stadium has no indoor/poorly-ventilated areas that are necessary to access (ie, concourses)? I can't see any reason why, assuming it doesn't have any such areas, that it couldn't be open and allowing fans in, especially if it were restricted capacity as you are suggesting. Governments need to get on top of this before an awful lot of sports teams go under soon.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2020 at 10:39, chrisp65 said:

Is it a general country-wide thing in Wales or can certain levels have crowds in?  I went to Horsham v Kingstonian in the FA Cup, they're allowed to let in 30% capacity which works out at 600 which is roughly the average attendance anyway.  The next round had to be played behind closed doors because the oppo were the league above.  They must be finding it really tough whereas our club so far, touch wood, have done OK with the measures the govt have introduced.  

Here's the highlights, it was pretty much exactly the same as before the virus (including the shit penalty decision at 3 mins).

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Is it a general country-wide thing in Wales or can certain levels have crowds in?  I went to Horsham v Kingstonian in the FA Cup, they're allowed to let in 30% capacity which works out at 600 which is roughly the average attendance anyway.  The next round had to be played behind closed doors because the oppo were the league above.  They must be finding it really tough whereas our club so far, touch wood, have done OK with the measures the govt have introduced.  

Here's the highlights, it was pretty much exactly the same as before the virus (including the shit penalty decision at 3 mins).

Wales, Welsh Govt and FAW.

Most football is just not allowed, so they are effectively mothballed. ‘Top’ level can’t be mothballed as it would complicate Europe, so playing strictly behind closed doors.

It’s a farce we could see coming last March and put suggestions forward 1 week after the March lockdown. Here we are, October, and they are ‘looking at it’.

We’re not dealing with the brightest people here, the FAW went nuts when we played a friendly against a team from Bristol during the summer. We pointed out the wording was that we couldn’t play other Welsh teams. They had to re write their rules.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

Taxes rises of more than £40bn a year are 'all but inevitable' to protect UK government debt from spinning out of control, a think tank has warned.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said borrowing this year will hit levels not seen in peacetime due to the pandemic.

It said the state had pumped an extra £200bn into the economy to support jobs, businesses and incomes this year.

This was necessary but would mean big tax hikes into the middle of the next decade, the IFS said.

BBC

Fortunately the loaded Tory Filth and their chums slip their cash through the system different ways, leaving the tax burden to the less well off - Phew.

Â