The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Well the cliff is clearly visible now, and we’re still convinced it’ll be alright in the end. If it isn’t then it’s someone else’s fault.

Who’s convinced it will be alright in the end? Perhaps the average dullard who voted Tory but actually couldn’t even tell you what the EU is but for anyone with half a brain cell this has been the writing on the wall for a long time now.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Who’s convinced it will be alright in the end? Perhaps the average dullard who voted Tory but actually couldn’t even tell you what the EU is but for anyone with half a brain cell this has been the writing on the wall for a long time now.

Yes, those people who gave the Tories the huge majority. There are a lot of them. 

In a better world, a better system, there would be meaningful scrutiny of this bill, but it's worth saying that with a government with an 80-seat majority there was never going to be any meaningful scrutiny, and that would have been true even if it had been given the whole of September for discussion. All that will be missing is parliamentary time and effort pretending, not any actual scrutiny.

Even if this was going to be a 3 line whip to get it all of the way through without any rebellion, I suspect there's not even going to be time for MPs to even read this before voting on it. I'll be very surprised if the Lords play ball with this expedited timeline.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Has it ever happened in a day before?

Not as far as I'm aware but I welcome corrections if anyone knows otherwise! Bills have been fast tracked through the commons before. The Terrorist Offenders Bill was fast-tracked earlier this year and got through the commons in a day, but still took another week for the Lords to have a look. The Coronavirus emergency bill took about a week too. To get a bill through both houses in a day would be unprecedented as far as I know. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Link

That's the latest prediction from the Bank of England. It says the economy is expected to shrink 4.2% in the first three months of 2021, amid tighter lockdown restrictions, but the UK's vaccine rollout will help it "recover rapidly" this year. It is thought that a rebound will come in the spring as people become more confident about spending.

UK economic growth chart showing a dip in the first three months of 2021

• 4 weeks later...
Â