Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rugby have postponed the Champions Cup, I expect UEFA might have to cancel the Champions League as well

Is there any money in Rugby? The money in CL and now also EL football is so huge that UEFA and the clubs will walk over dead people to get it done.

I know nothing about the money in rugby but I imagine it's nowhere close?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Is there any money in Rugby? The money in CL and now also EL football is so huge that UEFA and the clubs will walk over dead people to get it done.

I know nothing about the money in rugby but I imagine it's nowhere close?

Its nowhere near as close but I am sure some French teams pulled out as they cant travel. I can imagine borders closing for football 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I just can't see how elite football can keep on going for much longer. I reckon about another 10 days and it will be paused. The covid numbers are horrific, even worse than the original outbreak. How they can then finish the league season is a different matter.

and elite football is proving to be not doing a very good job of keeping the players Covid free. They really need to pause it.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

and elite football is proving to be not doing a very good job of keeping the players Covid free. They really need to pause it.

but seems to be just in the UK though, Serie A has had one game cancelled because of Covid and Bundesliga zero and I think La Liga has been zero as well but have forced some teams to play youth teams

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

It isn't really an option, they either keep playing or the season gets canned as there just isn't the available space to run over into the summer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It isn't really an option, they either keep playing or the season gets canned as there just isn't the available space to run over into the summer.

Unless the Euro’s is under threat again. It can’t be a certainty to go ahead. 

I might be wrong in a few weeks time (in which case a hat will be eaten) but nothing is getting cancelled. 

Worst case, next season will be pushed to start in September. 

People say they don't understand how the season was stopped in March and is carrying on now.

Well, now we know that while it's a dangerous disease that will affect many volnourable, it's not the apocalypse we thought we'd be facing. Footballers are fit, young and healthy and it's most likely they will be unaffected by the virus. 

Of course, they could catch it and transfer it to others, but I'd attribute that to their lifestyles rather than playing in probably the most controlled and regulated job in the country. It's what they do off the pitch that will cause risks.

We also have drugs that minimise death, we have the jabs, we have far more knowledge.

There is just too much money involved to stop it now with the knowledge that we have, that we lacked in March.

Edited by Mic09

4 hours ago, Genie said:

they'll have a 1 country tournament contingency plan, probably qatar or the states 😜

id be surprised if that isn't already in place they've just waiting to see which country does what in the build up before announcing it around April

i honestly wouldnt put it past them to put it in the middle east with no fans and night time kick offs for the heat and the time difference 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

The problem there is that UEFA will want to hold on until the last possible moment to see if it's possible before a cancellation - if it goes, it'll cost them hundreds of millions of pounds - it's one of, if not their biggest source of revenue.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The problem there is that UEFA will want to hold on until the last possible moment to see if it's possible before a cancellation - if it goes, it'll cost them hundreds of millions of pounds - it's one of, if not their biggest source of revenue.

In the scheme of things I’d have thought it would be preferable to finish all the European domestic seasons plus the Champions League and Europa Leagues rather than cut them all short to host the Euro’s. But I could be wrong on that.

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

In the scheme of things I’d have thought it would be preferable to finish all the European domestic seasons plus the Champions League and Europa Leagues rather than cut them all short to host the Euro’s. But I could be wrong on that.

If football was all one game, then yes, I'd agree, but UEFA make next to nothing from the domestic leagues - from their perspective it'd be better to cancel the league and get the Champions league and Europa cup finished in plenty of time for the Euro's.

Premier League has sent a memo urging players not to celebrate goals so that covid protocols aren't breached. The league doesn't need to worry, celebrations are already muted as a result of VAR.

On 13/01/2021 at 17:40, a-k said:

Premier League has sent a memo urging players not to celebrate goals so that covid protocols aren't breached. The league doesn't need to worry, celebrations are already muted as a result of VAR.

It looks like only Leicester got the memo judging by this report on the BBC.

Maddison and Leicester adhere to goal celebrations

Leicester City were the only team to follow the Premier League's new guidance on goal celebrations - but they had a bit of fun with it.

Saturday was the start of the first full round of top-flight games since players were told to curb their celebrations because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Not only has there been a recent rise in cases in the UK, but footballers and clubs have been criticised by politicians for repeated breaches of Covid-19 rules, and warned not to abuse their privilege that elite sport has been allowed to continue while the country is under a strict lockdown.

Â