Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

That's why I think FIFA might have to put some sort of blanket rules in place.

Not a clue what they could be though. Agents will do their usual and players will follow.

I don't think any players should be allowed to move clubs and compete in the 19-20 season for a different team.

as limpid said on the previous page it then throws up various employment laws, competition laws, European laws and blah blah goes beyond the remit of FIFA so they would be powerless to stop it

best example I could give of that is the PL trying a few years back to cap the number of non English players in squads but they couldn't because the European employment laws which say you cant stop Europeans from being employed trumped anything football could do

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

as limpid said on the previous page it then throws up various employment laws, competition laws, European laws and blah blah goes beyond the remit of FIFA so they would be powerless to stop it

best example I could give of that is the PL trying a few years back to cap the number of non English players in squads but they couldn't because the European employment laws which say you cant stop Europeans from being employed trumped anything football could do

If you can guarantee one thing, it's that whatever happens will probably be worst for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Even if it’s dates based but they are not available to play during their contract because there’s no football so really the contracts should be revoked ,  it will be very much frowned upon if players are not willing to play for their respective clubs when the season restarts . 

I think a compromise will be made under the circumstances 

There's 0 chance of this happening. Players who are out of contract legally wouldn't be able to play anyway due to insurance and whole load of other things. Then you're asking players to sign new deals when they may not want to, especially if it's for a short period. What about players who have already agreed to move to a different club on a certain date? 

There won't be any in-contract players refusing to play. That's the easy bit. But there's no way you can force players to continue playing once their contracts have expired. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I did have a quick look a few weeks ago and you could say in theory if games resume 1st july we aren't that bad, we'd lose reina, drinkwater and davis, west ham was ok they were just 1 or 2 squad players.

I think West Ham also lose their stadium, I'm sure I read their rental agreement doesn't cover the summer when priority goes to other events.

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

According to The Athletic, if the PL doesn't give the fixtures it has promised to broadcasters they're going have £762m less than they expected coming in. Eyewatering.

This year's clubs have already been paid for the full season so that money will have to come out of next year's pot if they try to recoup it.

It's just too much, so they'll probably end up messing up football for 2/3 years to avoid it.

It is eyewatering but in reality this is "only" ~£38 m per club that they could take off next season's payments instead. Relax FFP and this is manageable, even more so if it is recouped over a few seasons, although that adds some complication for the payments to promoted and relegated teams.

Russian hockey league KHL has cancelled the rest of the season. It's the 2nd biggest league after the NHL which has also been cancelled. Just like the Swedish, Finnish, German and Swiss league.

Surely football is bound go to the same way. No way will Serie A or La Liga finish, and if they cancel more leagues will follow.

Latest idea being circulated in Swedish football is to cut the season by half and only have a single meeting season with 15 games in total. (16 team league)

I don't think this will happen either but at least it's possible.

Season was scheduled to start first week in April. 

And why should there be, it's realistic to want to focus on our health first and most importantly. 

Speculation that suggests it could be 6-12 months before social distancing measures are relaxed; two teams competing and moving in close-proximity to each other would undermine this completely. Either the season is voided or season 2019-2020 gets played in 2021, the latter seems absolutely impossible now.

The way things are going season 2020-2021 seems in jeopardy because it might not even start in the year 2020!

Brmingham players on more than 6k per week are only taking 50% of their wages from next month to keep the non playing staff employed & paid. Payment is just being defered & the other 50% will be paid back later in the year in 4 installments if/when football resumes.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

And why should there be, it's realistic to want to focus on our health first and most importantly. 

Speculation that suggests it could be 6-12 months before social distancing measures are relaxed; two teams competing and moving in close-proximity to each other would undermine this completely. Either the season is voided or season 2019-2020 gets played in 2021, the latter seems absolutely impossible now.

The way things are going season 2020-2021 seems in jeopardy because it might not even start in the year 2020!

It’s just speculation. If people respected the governments me measures of only going out if it’s essential and for one form of exercise a day and safe distancing we could get a grip on this a lot quicker and could probably resume the football season in July but unless everybody takes it seriously then it could drag on for 6 months or more. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

One thing I have noticed from people not Liverpool fans or "experts". Doesn't seem to be any real appetite from the general public for football to restart 

I think people have realised its just not that important. I get it, its a nice diversion in 'normal' life but that is all it is. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think people have realised its just not that important. I get it, its a nice diversion in 'normal' life but that is all it is. 

Yeah I think the footballing bodies are in for a shock if they think people are going to flock back and crucially think its an important part of life anymore

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm surprised that I havent been that bothered overall by it tbh!  Theres moments where I've got nothing to do and wish just a game was on but generally it's been a welcome relief for a change. 

• Like 1

The Oxford University study that theorises that about 2/3rds of the UK population has already been infected is starting to gain more traction in the media.

If the antibody mass testing comes along quickly and supports this study I guess life and football may get back to normal quickly, if this turns out to similar to a normal bad flu season.

Obviously that would be extremely good news and if it sounds to good to be true, there is of course a heavy price to pay, which would be Liverpool winning the league..

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yeah I think the footballing bodies are in for a shock if they think people are going to flock back and crucially think its an important part of life anymore

Yeah when football does continue I think it will take some time for attendances to recover. I remember in the 80s football attendances dropped alarmingly because of football holliganism mainly. It just takes something serious like this for people tp decide not to go. could become more of a tv sport. 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, Elton said:

The Oxford University study that theorises that about 2/3rds of the UK population has already been infected is starting to gain more traction in the media.

If the antibody mass testing comes along quickly and supports this study I guess life and football may get back to normal quickly, if this turns out to similar to a normal bad flu season.

Obviously that would be extremely good news and if it sounds to good to be true, there is of course a heavy price to pay, which would be Liverpool winning the league..

Appreciate you're largely joking, but the Oxford study doesn't say anything of the sort, and there's no reason to think we're at any point other than the very beginning of a long period of lockdown or distancing which is completely incompatible with playing football.

Genuine question, how many people die each year on average from normal flu?

Indontnknow ignites less or more than covid-19, the difference may be every single covid death is tracked, where death from cold/flu related illnesses year on year just isnt publisised.

No idea.

Â