Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

current standing is final? hope its not the start of something...

Charleroi miss out on the CL and relegated team were 1 point off survival (were playing 2nd in the league)

the crazy thing seems to be cercle brugge were on 11 points 5 games ago, 9 points off safety, won 4 of them to stay up and Anderlecht finished 8th!

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

current standing is final? hope its not the start of something...

Charleroi miss out on the CL and relegated team were 1 point off survival (were playing 2nd in the league)

the crazy thing seems to be cercle brugge were on 11 points 5 games ago, 9 points off safety, won 4 of them to stay up and Anderlecht finished 8th!

Says no team to be relegated.

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Says no team to be relegated.

yeah sorry I re-read it, 18 teams last year

so the only team who ca complain are chaleroi but like I said 2nd place were playing bottom so realistically it was never happening

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

yeah sorry I re-read it, 18 teams last year

so the only team who ca complain are chaleroi but like I said 2nd place were playing bottom so realistically it was never happening

Think either something similar or voiding the season is the way to go in most leagues.

But TV-deal and money will complicate things in the bigger leagues.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Wilfred Zaha makes a nice gesture by opening his property for NHS staff. 

Comments section is just abuse aimed at him. **** world full of morons.

Allison also got abused on same site because he uploaded a harmless video of him throwing a ball into his house 

Nothing better to do but sit and knock other people. Its what I hate about social media. 

16 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's disgusting really their mantra in light of today having the highest rate of deaths in the UK.

Silverstone is scheduled for July and it's on the verge of being cancelled, why is the PL and EFL any different to the same problems....am I missing something? 

I guess it's these one off events in the UK are fixed to a certain date so if a grand prix or Wimbledon can't take place in July then there's little desire to move them to August or September through logistic reasons.

Same with the music festivals. I normally go to Download one up at Donington Park in Mid June but apparently it is (or was) fully booked up to October with events there. Add in 100s of vendors and helpers to construct site and simply too dangerous in the current climate.

Football is a little bit more flexible but of course I'm not underestimating everyone involved in even BCD match and again it's going to be far too dangerous for next two months (and probably beyond).

Now the government is finally being held to account for lack of mass testing that should help a little bit more going forward. It was after all the inital advice by the World Health Organization.

Edited by VillaChris

Dosen't Belgium have some wierd play off system they used to finish the league and decide champions and champions league contenders? So they were probably a game or two off finishing normal season and will probably pick up again at a later date.

Italian Sports minister openly talking about Serie A restarting on May 31st. I can't believe Italy will get going again that early but first government official I've seen directly talking about restarting in the major leagues.

His plan is to self isolate any squad member who returns from abroad for 14 days (so Ronaldo would start training middle of May compared to early May) and weekly test all squad and staff members.

https://www.football-italia.net/151720/serie-resume-may

Minister for Sport Vincenzo Spadafora confirmed he was talking to the five biggest sports federations in the country to discuss a plan for getting back on track, hoping to conclude the season.

According to news agency Adnkronos, a potential date to start playing again would be May 24 or 31, rather than the May 20 floated by FIGC President Gabriele Gravina.

This would mean resuming training after Easter or at the latest on May 2.

The protocol for easing players back from self-isolation into training sessions has to be worked out, but Adnkronos claims this will include blanket testing of all squad members and staff to ensure nobody is positive for coronavirus.

More tests would be made weekly to maintain that level of certainty all the way to the end of the season.

You put the date back a month-6 weeks and that will pretty much be the premier league plan.

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Dosen't Belgium have some wierd play off system they used to finish the league and decide champions and champions league contenders? So they were probably a game or two off finishing normal season and will probably pick up again at a later date.

One game off finishing the regular season, but even that won’t be played. Rumour now in a Belgian newspaper that the UEFA is not happy with the decision as they wanted leagues to play in june.

At the same time, PSV Ajax and AZ are calling for the dutch league to end as well. I hope they follow  the Belgian example to show the greedy UEFA bastards that health is more important than money.

EDIT: UEFA is supposedly now threatening to bar all Belgian clubs from european leagues next season if they don’t play the remaining fixtures.

Edited by AXD
Extra info
  • Like 4

There is absolutely nothing wrong with federations planning to continue the season and doing everything they can to make it happen. In fact, I expect the FA to try and complete the season.

Massive businesses like the Premier League can't just stop and put their feet up now.

However, as time will likely show, we will simply be unable to complete the season. Not finishing it will be the correct decision.

Not discussing the options and not trying to make things happen will be the wrong decision. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

UEFA considering banning clubs from Europe if they leagues are voided

Of course they are, what an utterly deplorable organization UEFA (and FIFA) is.

Just gotta hope that one of the bigger leagues follow suit and does like Belgium. Germany, France or Italy maybe.

Think La Liga and the PL will go down swinging and try whatever cockamamie idea possible to keep their money. China, Qatar, an oil tanker on international water or a base on the moon. They will try anything.

52 minutes ago, sne said:

Of course they are, what an utterly deplorable organization UEFA (and FIFA) is.

Just gotta hope that one of the bigger leagues follow suit and does like Belgium. Germany, France or Italy maybe.

Think La Liga and the PL will go down swinging and try whatever cockamamie idea possible to keep their money. China, Qatar, an oil tanker on international water or a base on the moon. They will try anything.

Italy has been hit so hard by the virus, there is already talk of them doing the same (Brescia chairman I believe)

hopefully Holland follows quickly, maybe Portugal and Greece (no idea where they stand) so a lot of the second tier leagues are on the same page.
UEFA might still use this to start their dream competition with only teams from top 5 leagues though.

considering how hard Spain has been hit, I’d be amazed if they would still consider playing in the next few months.

8 minutes ago, AXD said:

Italy has been hit so hard by the virus, there is already talk of them doing the same (Brescia chairman I believe)

hopefully Holland follows quickly, maybe Portugal and Greece (no idea where they stand) so a lot of the second tier leagues are on the same page.
UEFA might still use this to start their dream competition with only teams from top 5 leagues though.

considering how hard Spain has been hit, I’d be amazed if they would still consider playing in the next few months.

Agreed, the problem with La Liga is that they have a president in Javier Tebas who is as greedy as anyone. I think in the end they'll be forced to cancel but I'm sure he'll look at the option of finishing the league in China or Qatar before admitting defeat. Think he'll gladly risk a few lives if he can make money.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

did anyone say breakaway European super league?

UEFA need to be careful with how big they think their stick is

You can bet that the lawyers for the G-14 clubs are working overtime to find any loophole they can use during this crisis to break away and start their beloved Super League.

And meanwhile in Sweden the FA have decided it's OK to play friendlies again 🤪

No more than 50 people at the games and players are supposed to change at home before and after the games. 

It's so, so retarded.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sne said:

And meanwhile in Sweden the FA have decided it's OK to play friendlies again 🤪

No more than 50 people at the games and players are supposed to change at home before and after the games. 

It's so, so retarded.

Read a comment from that dude you got in charge of your take on this situation... he said it was dangerous keeping kids out of the school etc. Norwegian journalist asked why they let people go to bars, hairdressers etc. and he countered that the research showed that's not where people get infected. People got infected in their homes. I'm not even sure where to start with his reasoning lol 

Â