Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The tv deals are easy as I said before. SKY and BT will be ok losing 10 games of a dead season in terms of title excitement for a full season  

Will they? I think that's very kind to them.

If you expect Sky and BT just to shrug and say fair enough about losing the games they had remaining I think you're mistaken.

Edited by Stevo985

On 19/03/2020 at 12:26, The Fun Factory said:

Self isolate all radio presenters and fire up the DJ3000.

My suggestion for the owners of TalkSport would be to fire all of their presenters, play elevator music for a week or two, and then wait to see if anybody writes in to ask for any of them back.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Will they? I think that's very kind to them.

If you expect Sky and BT just to shrug and say fair enough about losing the games they had remaining I think you're mistaken.

If the option is 10 rounds and next season is reduced, they will take the full season 

I dont think a 38 game season is possible before Euro 2021 if they play these 10 rounds 

• Like 1

Player contracts is the major issue for me as an open window will cause headaches and confusion. If La Liga and Serie A finished, what will stop them bidding and tapping up Premier League players at this time

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah there's plenty of complications if you delay the season. 

But if you void the season what about unfulfilled TV deals? Unfulfilled sponsorship deals? Teams not being promoted who should have been promoted having ploughed millions of pounds in. European places undecided. etc

There's plenty of complications.

If the season was delayed a few months you wouldn't have any of that (well you would, but to a far lesser extent). There's still complications of course.

Like I said, I don't think any of us know enough of the details to say which one is more or less problematic than the other. But there seems to be a bit of a perception that voiding the season would be easy. it wouldn't. It would be very problematic.

I think those seem minor compared. Unless it's a big no from the companies involved, why can't you just compensate them by adding time on the deal that's gone missing for the new season? European footy should and could just get cancelled. Promote automatics and no relegation. The only compensation issue would be the play offs.  

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If the option is 10 rounds and next season is reduced, they will take the full season 

I dont think a 38 game season is possible before Euro 2021 if they play these 10 rounds 

Absolutely. This season has been over at the pointy end for months and that is what brings in the biggest audience and sponsors.

Whatever happens will have plenty of negatives but finishing the season in a few weeks or months wouldn’t feel like it’s the same season, especially if behind closed doors. Fans could still congregate outside grounds too.

Best for everyone except Liverpool to void. Even for them it would feel like a hollow victory now.

Edited by Elton

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They may take that option, but I bet they'll be looking for compensation for it. hence it's a complication

17 minutes ago, Elton said:

Absolutely. This season has been over at the pointy end for months and that is what brings in the biggest audience and sponsors.

Whatever happens will have plenty of negatives but finishing the season in a few weeks or months wouldn’t feel like it’s the same season, especially if behind closed doors. Fans could still congregate outside grounds too.

Best for everyone except Liverpool to void. Even for them it would feel like a hollow victory now.

What about Leicester? Or Sheffield United? or leeds or west brom or nottingham forest or coventry or Rotherham or portsmouth or Crewe or Swindon or Plymouth?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think those seem minor compared. Unless it's a big no from the companies involved, why can't you just compensate them by adding time on the deal that's gone missing for the new season? European footy should and could just get cancelled. Promote automatics and no relegation. The only compensation issue would be the play offs.  

You might be able to do that. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's a complication.

What about teams like Nottingham Forest who have spent loads of money, are in with a shout of relegation and would have it taken away form them?

LIke I said voiding probably is the easiest, but I think there's a perception that it would be really easy. It wouldn't, there would be loads of complications.

Perhaps we can finish this season whenever possible, then next season have some sort of American-style conference system with fewer matches depending on how much time there is, but have them all live on Sky/BT and a one-off final.   Negotiate a delay for contracts running out with the PFA to cover the end of this season and a shorter transfer window after it.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You might be able to do that. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's a complication.

What about teams like Nottingham Forest who have spent loads of money, are in with a shout of relegation and would have it taken away form them?

LIke I said voiding probably is the easiest, but I think there's a perception that it would be really easy. It wouldn't, there would be loads of complications.

I think any way of ending it will have complications we're not used to, but to me it seems the voiding it solution is the least uncertain way of doing it. 

You're right that the play off sides needs to be financially compensated, but I imagine Forest's net spend is rather small. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think any way of ending it will have complications we're not used to, but to me it seems the voiding it solution is the least uncertain way of doing it. 

You're right that the play off sides needs to be financially compensated, but I imagine Forest's net spend is rather small. 

You're possibly right, I just think the legal issues with those clubs adn TV companies could be very complicated. If they find some way of finishing the season, I think those are far less complicated.

I think Forest have ploughed a lot of money into a promotion push. They might be an interesting case as failure to get promoted might have big financial repercussions for them

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What about Leicester? Or Sheffield United? or leeds or west brom or nottingham forest or coventry or Rotherham or portsmouth or Crewe or Swindon or Plymouth?

I get your point. Although nothing stopping UEFA inviting various clubs into comps based on current positions and leagues inviting teams to be promoted with no relegation. This has been widely discussed. There is no magical solution unless the leagues can restart with fans in stadiums within weeks, which isn’t possible 

Liverpool would clearly be the biggest victims and it wouldn’t be their fault, this time..

The CL final and the Europa League final has officially been postponed. No new date set.

Same goes for the summer Olympics that will not start on July 24th, no new date set there either.

With regards to the remaining TV games. No relegation + top two from championship promoted would create 78 additional games next year (correct me if I’m horribly wrong). 

surely they could do some sort of deal around Offering those in place of the current year. 

52 minutes ago, Elton said:

I get your point. Although nothing stopping UEFA inviting various clubs into comps based on current positions and leagues inviting teams to be promoted with no relegation. This has been widely discussed. There is no magical solution unless the leagues can restart with fans in stadiums within weeks, which isn’t possible 

Liverpool would clearly be the biggest victims and it wouldn’t be their fault, this time..

I disagree that Liverpool would be the biggest victims. 
it would be gutting for them. Don’t get me wrong. 

But the team they have, the players, the manager, the money. They’ll probably win the league next season or the season after. Not a guarantee of course. But it could happen quite easily. 

Forest or Leeds could be condemned to another 10 years of championship football if their finances aren’t great. 

Sheffield Utd are challenging for European football. It would be the first time in their history that they get that. 

Liverpool would of course be a victim. But the biggest? I doubt it. Like I said, the title is the least complicated part of it imo

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree that Liverpool would be the biggest victims. 
it would be gutting for them. Don’t get me wrong. 

But the team they have, the players, the manager, the money. They’ll probably win the league next season or the season after. Not a guarantee of course. But it could happen quite easily. 

Forest or Leeds could be condemned to another 10 years of championship football if their finances aren’t great. 

Sheffield Utd are challenging for European football. It would be the first time in their history that they get that. 

Liverpool would of course be a victim. But the biggest? I doubt it. Like I said, the title is the least complicated part of it imo

Depends if you value the ultimate prize better than promotion, possibly to be relegated again or get a round or 2 into a European comp.

No one has achieved anything yet but Liverpool are by the far the closest. They are 99.9% there already and that is to win the biggest prize of the lot. To say they wouldn’t be the biggest victim is plain wrong in my view. Which is why void would be perfect.

Edited by Elton

I sense that most people on here who want the season voided is about self interest. If villa stay up just because the season is voided it’s just fake. I want us to finish the season and stay up because we deserve to. Finish the season in a time period of 14 days. It’s the same for every team 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I sense that most people on here who want the season voided is about self interest. If villa stay up just because the season is voided it’s just fake. I want us to finish the season and stay up because we deserve to. Finish the season in a time period of 14 days. It’s the same for every team 

You want us to play 10 games in 14 days 

Â