Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

In reality, Villa should go to Europe with Man City punishment. We're the only considered runner-ups this season (with a champion that can't play). I think we deserve we Europa League spot for that if the season was voided.

I agree about the other euro places though. It's really hard call.

But in reality, giving a place for Villa is much fair than giving it to Arsenal because of last season table. It's even much fair than giving it to the current 7th as the league didn't finish and most likely going to be voided.

The league cup is the only competetion that has been completed. It should have the priority.

Aston Villa staying up and being in the Europa League is the biggest lifeline given to any team ever :lol:

Marouane Fellaini has it now apparently so one has to wonder where this leaves the Chinese idea of restarting their league in a couple weeks?

Just wildly optimistic to think they can get the league up and running.

9 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Yes I know, but it’s logically right. 

It definitely isn't logical, and sadly won't happen. It doesn't matter if it's been completed or not; the Carabao Cup losing finalists were never going to be awarded a European place. This can't be changed retrospectively. Europa League places are assigned to Cup winners or 5th/6th/7th. City won the Carabao Cup, and so that place goes to a league position. I strongly believe the league will be finished, but if not, it'll be teams in contention for those positions who will be considered for Europe.

• Like 1

Brescia are calling for Serie A to be cancelled, granted they are pretty much relegated already but they are based in the centre of the hotspot

On another note some countries saying borders will be shut longer than a year for foreigners, that will obviously impact European games

23 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Why? Does the wealth that movie stars accumulate sicken you too? I take no issue with professional footballers making a lot of money, especially the dedicated players like Neville who weren't especially naturally talented but worked hard to get there. It's a short career after-all. They're dedicated professionals playing at the top level of a professional sport. 

Ok Neville probably didn’t earn as much as the current players.  but he’s probably been paid a fortune by sky for his rants. Yes disagree with anybody earning that type of money when many people can’t even afford to keep warm in the winter. 

Maybe they have a natural talent for kicking a ball around and work hard to get to the top but it’s only football, they aren’t doing anything special like the nurses and doctors working around the clock to save people’s lives

Edited by PaulC

On 21/03/2020 at 00:52, PaulC said:

I don’t honestly know how sky sports can carry on at the moment. No-one surely wants to watch old re-runs and carragher and Neville have their rants. Are they suspending charging people fir their subscriptions. I cancelled nowtv. 

Gary Neville saying he has closed his hotel. It sickens me how wealthy these people are. Half of me wants the Premier League to go bust and sky too 

Sky’s website has a button to press which pauses Subscription Charges for Sports. 

Just now, terrytini said:

Sky’s website has a button to press which pauses Subscription Charges for Sports. 

And it's currently a ball ache to use, as I've been trying to pause it for the last hour :

Screenshot_20200322-163437_Chrome.jpg

Mentioned it somewhere else but should football season have continued after Hillsborough? Was only weeks old at time and many on this forum not even alive but interested what the mood was from those on the forum who were around and following us in the late 80s.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Mentioned it somewhere else but should football season have continued after Hillsborough? Was only weeks old at time and many on this forum not even alive but interested what the mood was from those on the forum who were around and following us in the late 80s.

I don't know the answer but it's a very very different situation to Hillsbrough

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes it should have, and would today as well if there was anything as horrendous. Maybe take a 1/2/3 week break but you have to carry on.

This is a once in five lifetimes world event that is stopping the world from turning, not just football.

I'd also be interested in what the feeling was like at the time though.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Sorry Chris but how could it have been only weeks old when it was a semi-final of the Fa Cup unless I am misunderstanding. At the time was it was still perceived as a football hoolignism problem not police or ground safety 

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sorry Chris but how could it have been only weeks old when it was a semi-final of the Fa Cup unless I am misunderstanding. At the time was it was still perceived as a football hoolignism problem not police or ground safety 

Chris is saying that he was only a few weeks old at the time, I think...

• Like 1

Some sports journalists actually understand the severity of the situation. I was reading the weekend that the Premier League is in denial over Covid-19.

Playing games behind closed doors still requires an ambulance on standby in case of injuries.  That will not be happening anytime soon.

Also players are human too not in some bubble because they earn a fortune! They have family and elderly relatives like the rest of us.  They will not want to be training or playing anytime soon.

Premier League and these stupid pundits need to drop it must be finished.  They need to be saying football will stand by the country in its time of need and do what needs to be done.  If that is supporting the smaller clubs to protect the football pyramid then so be it.  They have the money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To get the season in before 30th June, we'd need to be playing in three weeks time. Frankly, the suggestions from the Southampton CEO this weekend are irresponsible and ludicrous. 

The desperation of the Premier league's members to ensure they get the TV money for completing the season is saddening and a pretty damning indication of what the game has become - there's a thread on the effect this crisis will have on politics going forward, perhaps there's an opportunity to do something different with football too?

If they attempt to play games during this crisis, before we're safe, before people stop dying - for money - then I think as fans we have a responsibility to do everything possible to prevent them doing so.

It's logistically becoming an impossibility to finish this season, and there's increasingly a risk that we won't be ready to go on August the 8th when the new season is planned to start - with the increasing likelihood of the cancellation of the Olympics towards the end of July it's well past time that the Premier league started to talk sensibly about sport and about the health of those people within football and those that support it and stopped ignoring them to grab at TV money above any other factor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Some sports journalists actually understand the severity of the situation. I was reading the weekend that the Premier League is in denial over Covid-19.

Playing games behind closed doors still requires an ambulance on standby in case of injuries.  That will not be happening anytime soon.

Also players are human too not in some bubble because they earn a fortune! They have family and elderly relatives like the rest of us.  They will not want to be training or playing anytime soon.

Premier League and these stupid pundits need to drop it must be finished.  They need to be saying football will stand by the country in its time of need and do what needs to be done.  If that is supporting the smaller clubs to protect the football pyramid then so be it.  They have the money.

I don't really have an issue with what the Premier League are doing. They're planning based on the latest info. They clearly prefer to finish the season so they're moving things back as and when.

As long as they're not putting people's safety at risk by actually playing games then I don't really have an issue

• Like 1

Â