Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Appreciate you're largely joking, but the Oxford study doesn't say anything of the sort, and there's no reason to think we're at any point other than the very beginning of a long period of lockdown or distancing which is completely incompatible with playing football.

Yes, from what I understand (probably not a lot) the reported headline does rely on modelling based on very speculative data.

I prefer to believe good news so I retain some optimism. As let’s face it months of lock down is soul destroying even if not personally affected by the virus.

However, I do think that some of the worse case scenarios will be way off. The cruise ship (which was a  virus incubator) is a good example here as the mortality rate wasn’t that high considering the age and health profile of the passengers. 

So far 20 000? deaths worldwide, of course this will go way up but will it be significantly worse than a bad flu season? I guess we’ll see. If it isn’t much worse the worldwide lockdowns will be heralded as a success.

I agree though, no chance of sport in the next few weeks. If cases dry up in late spring/early summer things could change. Obviously I’m only speculating. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Genuine question, how many people die each year on average from normal flu?

Indontnknow ignites less or more than covid-19, the difference may be every single covid death is tracked, where death from cold/flu related illnesses year on year just isnt publisised.

No idea.

If Covid-19 was allowed to spread unchecked (in the same way cold and flu are), it'd kill far more than flu.

43 COVID19 deaths in UK today (or last 24 hours). About half of the figure of the day before. Lowest death rate for a week and  ‘lockdown’ wouldn’t have had an affect yet due to lag. Only 1 day but still encouraging.

Some reports that deaths in Italy classed as COVID19 when deceased had other serious health issues that may have been cause of death. 

Not playing down seriousness but maybe things will turn quicker than we have been led to expect (again hopeful speculation).

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Genuine question, how many people die each year on average from normal flu?

Indontnknow ignites less or more than covid-19, the difference may be every single covid death is tracked, where death from cold/flu related illnesses year on year just isnt publisised.

No idea.

a shitload, half a million or more worldwide. If it was something new like corona the lockdowns would be far worse than this as there would be 10,000 dying every day rather than 20,000 total in 3 months, a good chunk of which would have probably died anyway given the average age is around 80

This year in the states :

With flu season still winding down, at least 144 children younger than 18 have died, a toll topped only by the 2009 H1N1 pandemic since health authorities began tracking flu data in 2004.

So far this season, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recorded 36 million flu cases in the U.S., with 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-03-20/coronavirus-pandemic-overshadows-a-deadly-flu-season

This is actually down a good chunk on the past couple of years

18/19 in the states 35,000 flu deaths

17/18 in the states 61,000 flu deaths

Edited by LakotaDakota

6 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

a shitload, half a million or more worldwide. If it was something new like corona the lockdowns would be far worse than this as there would be 10,000 dying every day rather than 20,000 total in 3 months, a good chunk of which would have probably died anyway given the average age is around 80

This year in the states :

With flu season still winding down, at least 144 children younger than 18 have died, a toll topped only by the 2009 H1N1 pandemic since health authorities began tracking flu data in 2004.

So far this season, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recorded 36 million flu cases in the U.S., with 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-03-20/coronavirus-pandemic-overshadows-a-deadly-flu-season

This is actually down a good chunk on the past couple of years

18/19 in the states 35,000 flu deaths

17/18 in the states 61,000 flu deaths

I guess the difference is:

1) We know how to treat regular flu
2) Those ill are accounted for in budgeting for health service
3) Flu is not as contagious, nor is it as deadly
4) Just because, say, 100 people die every year in a car crash, if there is a wild driver out there killing 10 people one day, 15 the next, 25 the next, 38 the next, it doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned because we are used to 100 people dying every year anyway.
5) Because of the above, many more people will die of normal Flu because they will not get the necessary help because the healthcare system will be put under so much pressure.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Flu is not as contagious, nor is it as deadly

The best explanation I've seen of this was some guy on channel 4 the other night 

If you have the flu and you meet 10 people, who meet 10 people, who meet 10 people... To 10 layers... You will infect around 14 people with your flu

If you have corona and meet 10 people, who meet, 10 people... To 10 layers... You will infect around 59,000 people with your corona 😳

• Like 3

Great bunch of lads, triffic' 

Should add that AS is a Madrid based paper

Captains say no to cut
The players reject, for the moment, the ERTE proposed by the club during confinement. With or without agreement, Bartomeu intends to implement it; ERTE is legal.

The Barça players have said no, for the moment, to the salary reduction proposed by the Barça club for the period of time that the confinement lasts. Josep Maria Bartomeu called a Board of Directors for yesterday at noon, which was finally delayed until today. Thus, he tried to buy time to convince the players to accept a proposal that, according to various sources, is somewhat more benevolent than the one made with the other sections. The ERTE, which has to propose the same cut for all sections, would leave without 70% of the salaries to all professional teams. However, Bartomeu could offer certain 'compensations' to first-team players so that their downgrade does not exceed 50%, admitting the difference between the sections in generating income.Still, the captains' response to that proposal has been negative. It should be remembered that the Temporary Regulation File is only protected by legality while the state of alarm lasts.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/03/25/primera/1585162301_850380.html?m1=cG9ydGFkYV9wb3J0YWRh&m2=QUNUVUFMSURBRA%3D%3D&m3=MQ%3D%3D&m4=bm9ybWFs&m5=MjE%3D

6 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I guess the difference is:

1) We know how to treat regular flu
2) Those ill are accounted for in budgeting for health service
3) Flu is not as contagious, nor is it as deadly
4) Just because, say, 100 people die every year in a car crash, if there is a wild driver out there killing 10 people one day, 15 the next, 25 the next, 38 the next, it doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned because we are used to 100 people dying every year anyway.
5) Because of the above, many more people will die of normal Flu because they will not get the necessary help because the healthcare system will be put under so much pressure.

Also there’s a flu jab and there’s nothing for coronavirus at the moment but yes it’s far more contagious and would kill more people if it was left unattended 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Big 4 teams in Bundsliga have set up a 20 million pot for struggling clubs

The four Bundesliga clubs in this season's Champions League have pledged 20m euros (£18.3m) to support fellow German teams during the coronavirus.

Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig and Bayer Leverkusen will forego their share of the national media revenue and donate the remainder from their own funds.

The German Football League (DFL) will decide how the money will be distributed.

Christian Seifert, a spokesman for the DFL executive committee said: "The initiative shows that solidarity is more than just lip service in the Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52052650

And in other new Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid is currently used as a storage place for medical equipment and the Italian FA headquarter is used as an emergency treatment center for Corona patients.

Anyone still thinking that the CL will finish this season is dreaming.

Im not a fan of the attitude some people have about footballers wages, they arent connected. Footballers have donated a lot during this time but some people have an attitude that they have to do this or if they donate money the next complaint is oh thats all he could afford.

We all know footballers get paid too much and that frontline staff are underpaid and overworked compared to them but they arent competing with each other. Man United arent taking money from the NHS to overpay Jesse Lingard

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Im not a fan of the attitude some people have about footballers wages, they arent connected. Footballers have donated a lot during this time but some people have an attitude that they have to do this or if they donate money the next complaint is oh thats all he could afford.

We all know footballers get paid too much and that frontline staff are underpaid and overworked compared to them but they arent competing with each other. Man United arent taking money from the NHS to overpay Jesse Lingard

I'm the opposite because nobody needs that much money and whilst they are not competing against each other,  I just believe in a more balanced fairer society. 

14 hours ago, PaulC said:

I'm the opposite because nobody needs that much money and whilst they are not competing against each other,  I just believe in a more balanced fairer society. 

Balanced does not equate to fairer.

• Like 1

Bit of trouble and dissent brewing in the Juventus squad against Ronaldo, Higuain and Douglas Costa who left Italy to be with their moms according to them but who mostly seem to be partying and living it up at the pool while the rest of the squad is in isolation. 

No doubt Ronaldo is keeping in shape but they'll still have to spend 14 days in quarantine once they fly back to Italy. 

Â