Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Now that the league has been suspended there really is no logic in bringing it back for several months. The infection numbers reported today are the absolute BEST they are going to be for at least 3 months and possibly 6 months if you believe the government models.

So any attempt to bring it back before then would be walking into a worse situation than we currently have today...which was bad enough to suspend all matches. I can see the league, all cups and Euro's being cancelled now and a fresh start being made next season, possibly even delaying the start of the season by month or two to be safe. 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The numbers are only the ones reported aren’t they. There could be up 10000 infected people in this country all ready and 10 deaths doesn’t seem higher mortality rate than normal flu

There will be WAY more people already infected than reported. Every single death will get recorded but I bet less than 50% of cases get reported. The mortality rate is going to be impossible to accurately calculate, but whatever it is recorded as, it should be much lower in reality.

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

For once, and seeing rugby still playing games as normal, I think football is thinking about the welfare and safety of supporters and players for once. Fair play to the premier league and all involved for making the decision to postpone things. Something the government didn't want to do.

Not sure on that, they were going to play this weekend (with fans in the stands) before players/staff came down with Covid which left them with no option but to cancel and suspend for weeks.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

There will be WAY more people already infected than reported. Every single death will get recorded but I bet less than 50% of cases get reported. The mortality rate is going to be impossible to accurately calculate, but whatever it is recorded as, it should be much lower in reality.

I bet it’s more like 10% or even less. If they are telling you to stay at home if you have a persistent cough and fever and not ring 111 unless your condition worsens then the figures could be anything. The only cases reported are the severe ones. 

Thinking about it. The situation will be worse in early April so the suspension will carry on to may or even may or even June so the only sensible solution is to cancel the eurus and finish the season in August and start the following season in November. Anything else would be a mockery

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Thinking about it. The situation will be worse in early April so the suspension will carry on to may or even may or even June so the only sensible solution is to cancel the eurus and finish the season in August and start the following season in November. Anything else would be a mockery

Meanwhile over the next two seasons aren’t the league trying to make adjustments in order to fit in a winter World Cup in Qatar? 

There’s hardly time to fit in the missed fixtures and what happens if it extends into the next transfer window let alone expiring player contracts etc. It’d potentially be such a mess 

If the suspension is continued for another 4 weeks, Void the league (maybe work in the use of Var in the meantime) and transpose this seasons fixtures to 20/21 and start again. 

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Either void the season or start the next season with the clubs on the same points as this season from game one.

Thats not gonna happen - what if team a) got 1 point from playing Man City and Liverpool and team b) got 4 points from playing Watford and Crystal Palace?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I thinking voiding the season gives the Premier League a get out over VAR. I can see a relegated team or 2 suing over it

They voted the rules in. Can't then sue because you don't like the results. Vote to change them for next time, yes. But they should've voted it down if it wasn't up to scratch

Edited by HalfTimePost

As it stands I can't see any way the season can be finished in a fair manner, so in my eyes a cancellation of the rest of the season seems the only option. If the coronavirus isn't under more control by May, which doesn't seem likely, then there will surely be no time for finishing the season and having a proper pre-season, even if the Euros are delayed a year, as all these delays will only be pushed further along the calendar.

The question is what is fairer - finishing the season as it stands now, voiding the entire season, or carrying on next season with last season's points. None of them are 'fair' per se, but I think the FA/PL/EFL will have to decide which is the least unfair of the 3.

Villa and Norwich may well be handed the most unlikely get out of jail free card in the history of English football. I for one am absolutely 100% behind this level of shithousery if it were to happen.

4 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

As it stands I can't see any way the season can be finished in a fair manner, so in my eyes a cancellation of the rest of the season seems the only option. If the coronavirus isn't under more control by May, which doesn't seem likely, then there will surely be no time for finishing the season and having a proper pre-season, even if the Euros are delayed a year, as all these delays will only be pushed further along the calendar.

The question is what is fairer - finishing the season as it stands now, voiding the entire season, or carrying on next season with last season's points. None of them are 'fair' per se, but I think the FA/PL/EFL will have to decide which is the least unfair of the 3.

Villa and Norwich may well be handed the most unlikely get out of jail free card in the history of English football. I for one am absolutely 100% behind this level of shithousery if it were to happen.

We are in a stronger position than 2 of the teams above us, having a home game in hand. It's really more of a get out of jail free card for 6 clubs, but mostly for Norwich who were considered down by January :lol: 

Â