Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Just now, Zatman said:

Womens Euros next summer plus World Club Cup with top 8 teams from Europe. Interesting where UEFA schedule this

The EURO's is to be played between June 11th to July 11th.

As you mention, a lot of stuff will have be shuffled. Womens EURO's, FIFA club WC and the U21 EURO's

1 hour ago, sne said:

The EURO's is to be played between June 11th to July 11th.

As you mention, a lot of stuff will have be shuffled. Womens EURO's, FIFA club WC and the U21 EURO's

Those yeah, but people keep mentioning the Nations League too. Like who gives a ****, just bin it that year.

• Like 2

Think it's funny that it was the Norwegian FA, a nation that isn't even qualified yet that leaked that the EURO's are to be postponed to 2021.

I doubt that was the plan :D 

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Think it's funny that it was the Norwegian FA, a nation that isn't even qualified yet that leaked that the EURO's are to be postponed to 2021.

I doubt that was the plan :D 

Norway are in the play offs which have been scheduled for the 1st or 9th of June. They probably got leaked that info first

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Norway are in the play offs which have been scheduled for the 1st or 9th of June. They probably got leaked that info first

Just wasn't supposed to go public with it before UEFA did.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

We were supposed to face Serbia this week I think, but I'm not surprised. Our FA are a disgrace from top to bottom. 

Interesting situation for the Denmark manager Åge Hareide who took his team to the Euro's but who's contract expires in the summer after the Euro's should have finished.

He'll now not get to manage Denmark as the new guy takes his place on the bench. Rough.

8 hours ago, sne said:

Chelsea owner has lost 1/5 of his fortune since the outbreak started, 2.5 billion. Bo-ho serves them right you might say but this will go for most club owners, ours included.

Abramovich is still filthy rich and the stock market will recover some day but how many of these guys will drop their interest in football, at least for a while to get their house in order?

We are pretty much 100% dependent on our owners bailing us out, time and time again. And so are a lot of other clubs.

Will our owners still be interested?

His fortune will recover. My portfolio is up 7% today (after dropping about 25% in the last few weeks!). Although i'm no oligarch! 

These rich folks usually come out of disasters like this in a better place. 

27 minutes ago, sne said:

Interesting situation for the Denmark manager Åge Hareide who took his team to the Euro's but who's contract expires in the summer after the Euro's should have finished.

He'll now not get to manage Denmark as the new guy takes his place on the bench. Rough.

similar to Ireland, Mick McCarthy is only contracted to the end of Euro 2020, Stephen Kenny waiting to take over

• Like 1

So 30 June is the deadline to complete the season, most likely for contractual reasons and to keep the integrity of the ‘season’. As such we can safely assume the season will be voided.

As far as I understand, the ‘flattening of the peak’ is designed to spread the cases over a longer period of time, probably many months rather than a quick uncontrolled spread that would overwhelm the health service, albeit end quicker. The resumed season would have to start by late May even playing 2 games per week. They won’t allow more than that. There is no chance this can happen.

Behind closed doors will also not be possible due to regulations about emergency services being in attendance and it will be the wrong message when the country may be in lock down by then and would still be an unnecessary gathering.

Training is unlikely to recommence prior to the deadline of 30 June passing. To do so would be off message with what the rest of the population is expected to do. Even now kids can’t train at their junior amateur clubs even with schools still open.

The PL will not allow the season to continue into the time frame allowed for next season, as this season they will get approximately 75% of the due TV money and next season, when it is possible to start, they will likely have to play a lot of midweek games to get in a full season and therefore full revenue. With players still being paid, the PL will want to lose as little income as possible.

And then there’s still Roy Hodgson in lockdown..

I guess we‘ll get a statement on Thursday saying that the league will have to recommence by 20 something of May or the season will not be completed.

I loved seeing Jamie Redknapp give him opinion on how the season can't be null and voided

Especially after that opinion came after he struggled to count how many weeks it would take to finish the season if they played 3 games a week

• Haha 1

Norwegian league was due to start up in a couple of weeks. Instead, clubs are already having to lay off staff (players included) due to liquidity issues following the inevitable income loss they are now facing. Hardly any Norwegian clubs have any meaningful cash reserves and most rely heavily on gate receipts. You just have to hope no players are poached by other clubs while this is going on. 

No GCSE/A Levels to be sat this school year. UEFA etc are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think football leagues can restart and be completed by 30 June. Football and sport is done for months.

Â