Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

National league now suspended until at least April 3rd too, NPL suspended indefnitely. Will be a few small clubs go tits up over this

Surely football is rich enough to help out the smaller clubs in such times 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Surely football is rich enough to help out the smaller clubs in such times 

I was listening to the price of football pod with Kieran Maguire earlier. He was saying that most clubs in league 1, and 2 will need something like a 300 k loan to get through until we can get football back on again. Some clubs like southend and Mansfield (maybe macclesfield?) Cant pay wages now so will probably be deep in it by the time football resumes.

13 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

I was listening to the price of football pod with Kieran Maguire earlier. He was saying that most clubs in league 1, and 2 will need something like a 300 k loan to get through until we can get football back on again. Some clubs like southend and Mansfield (maybe macclesfield?) Cant pay wages now so will probably be deep in it by the time football resumes.

300k until april 3rd or if they write off the rest of the season??  If so I think a premier league player could adopt a club for a few months that would be a nice gesture.

UEFA to make a decision on the EURO's tomorrow but if you want a hint of what it will be they have apparently cancelled all their bookings of all the hotels they had booked in Copenhagen Denmark for this summer.

RIP EURO's, obviously the correct call.

In other news Valencia who were forced to go to Bergamo and play Atalanta in the CL have now had 9 players or 35% of their squad test positive for the Corona virus.

Edit: Game was moved to Milan but same region Lombardy 

Edited by sne
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

300k until april 3rd or if they write off the rest of the season??  If so I think a premier league player could adopt a club for a few months that would be a nice gesture.

I think if they were to cancel the season. And rules mean this cant happen, it would have to come from the FA, or EFL I think. See when Bill Kenwright tried to give Bury 1.5 million to help them last year. The EFL dont have that money, and the FA have loads of money tied up in euro 2020. 

He also said clubs that are up for charges for example Southend, wouldnt be allowed any help either due to financial problems/issues already. Will probably have to a special off situation as a lot of these clubs are definitely going to need help during this period of time! He was pretty adamant that more clubs will go under unless something is done. 

Edited by leighavfc

2 hours ago, sne said:

UEFA to make a decision on the EURO's tomorrow but if you want a hint of what it will be they have apparently cancelled all their bookings of all the hotels they had booked in Copenhagen Denmark for this summer.

RIP EURO's, obviously the correct call.

In other news Valencia who were forced to go to Bergamo and play Atalanta in the CL have now had 9 players or 35% of their squad test positive for the Corona virus.

Was played in San Siro but take your point, have any of the Atalanta players tested positive yet?

• Like 1

There will be 2 meetings today. First UEFA and the national associations and the second with the clubs. It was being reported this morning that UEFA will be asking for £275m from the associations and clubs to defer the Euro's.

Edited by Genie

You'd have thought we would have cancelled it followed by the idea of the games being played in June met with us saying we need pre season first pushing it back until July making it impossible 

Could back fire on us though I spose, mcginn especially we need to get fit 

Chelsea owner has lost 1/5 of his fortune since the outbreak started, 2.5 billion. Bo-ho serves them right you might say but this will go for most club owners, ours included.

Abramovich is still filthy rich and the stock market will recover some day but how many of these guys will drop their interest in football, at least for a while to get their house in order?

We are pretty much 100% dependent on our owners bailing us out, time and time again. And so are a lot of other clubs.

Will our owners still be interested?

Edited by sne
Typo
  • Like 1

Chinese league looking like it will be started on April 18th.

Sill a lot that can happen before then but as I mentioned in another thread I think this one will be up and running long before any European league is restarted.

If nothing else this will let us put all this Rafa Benitez nonsense behind us.

• Like 1

Â