Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

31 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I'd say they'll be forced to play 4 games in a week to get up to 37 games before the last day of the season. They don't have a big squad either so I'd say they are doomed.

That will be the next cry wolf situation, players to fatigued to play 3 games a week to catch up 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

They haven't played since January 2nd. That's one way of getting a winter break!

Wtf is happening at that club. Surely if you just sent all of the players away they'd have been completely clear by now? How have they not managed to contain this in 15 days??

They actually played FA cup match last weekend so happy to basically get knocked out of competition they know they can't do anything in but don't want to put similar line up out in must win prem games.

They don't want to play Watford until they sign Chris Wood replacement as they could play Vydra and Jay Rodriguez if they really wanted to.

I could understand the postponements over xmas when Omicron was going through population but cases in daily population are generally declining slowly so not good enough for clubs to keep calling games off.

Clubs just manipulating the lax rules now, Arsenal didn't fancy playing Spurs after putting in extra shift v Liverpool with 10 men and Leicester calling games off despite having four players at the Darts last week. I bet all clubs could put out reasonable 11s if they had to so that should be the basis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

We appear to be about 2 weeks from teams going 'Sorry , training was shit this week and one of our physios has Covid, we'll postpone this week's game till everyone's up for it'.

“Some of our lads don’t like playing in winter so we’ll postpone until it warms up a bit, thanks”

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They actually played FA cup match last weekend so happy to basically get knocked out of competition they know they can't do anything in but don't want to put similar line up out in must win prem games.

They don't want to play Watford until they sign Chris Wood replacement as they could play Vydra and Jay Rodriguez if they really wanted to.

I could understand the postponements over xmas when Omicron was going through population but cases in daily population are generally declining slowly so not good enough for clubs to keep calling games off.

Clubs just manipulating the lax rules now, Arsenal didn't fancy playing Spurs after putting in extra shift v Liverpool with 10 men and Leicester calling games off despite having four players at the Darts last week. I bet all clubs could put out reasonable 11s if they had to so that should be the basis.

You’re absolutely right, they did play in the FA cup. When you check that line up it’s hard to argue it’s not a first team squad as well.

Arsenal are about to loan out a player.. thought they were struggling to field enough players literally 2/3 days ago? This whole situation has been a farce. Isolation period now cut to 5 days, use your U23s and get on with it now. If the U23s aren’t good enough which is why I suspect these clubs are reluctant to use them - tough, maybe it might get them investing in youth systems again which isn’t a bad thing. 

10 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Arsenal are about to loan out a player.. thought they were struggling to field enough players literally 2/3 days ago? 

Saw close variants of this conversation multiple times on Twitter yesterday:

RANDOM TWITTERER: How can Arsenal be loaning Mari 24 hours after calling off a game because they don't have enough first team players? 

ARSENAL FAN: Mari is a centre back, that's the one position we're not short in. Do you want us to play him as an 8 or something? 

RANDOM TWITTERER: The rules are 13 outfield players and a goalkeeper, it does not say anything about players preferred positions. 

ARSENAL FAN: Yeah, but you've got to admit it's top trolling though. 

- - - - - - 

You can't tell me that Arsenal don't have at least one good prospect in midfield in their youth team anyway, I just don't believe it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

RANDOM TWITTERER: How can Arsenal be loaning Mari 24 hours after calling off a game because they don't have enough first team players? 

ARSENAL FAN: Mari is a centre back, that's the one position we're not short in. Do you want us to play him as an 8 or something? 

RANDOM TWITTERER: The rules are 13 outfield players and a goalkeeper, it does not say anything about players preferred positions. 

- - - - - - 

You can't tell me that Arsenal don't have at least one good prospect in midfield in their youth team anyway, I just don't believe it. 

I bet Arsenal have about 10 players who are over 16 who could play in midfield. They just don’t want to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villaglint said:

Is it just me that’s wondering if this’ll come back to burn them as they’ll struggle with the match congestion later in the season. 

maybe. but it's a gamble they've taken in the hope that they strengthen in jan

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The Prem just seen to be accepting every single postponement request now whereas before they were rejecting some of them.

Allowing Arsenal to postpone their game on sunday has really opened the floodgates, PL can’t really say no to anyone now.

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

- - - - - - 

They played Charlie Patino v Forest who's very highly rated but he massively struggled v them so him and Lokana v Spurs would've been a disaster hence they didn't fancy playing.

Â