Match Thread: Villa v Spurs

limpid

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Drinkwater looking a liability

Understatement of the year! He's been poor and, just to rub salt in the wounds, he headed down for Alderwiereld to equalise. 

He's had a poor half and running around like a kid making his debut and looking to impress. 

• Like 1

Just now, PaddytheVillan said:

Well yeah. Let's be honest, we may like some of our defenders individually, but as a unit they are the worst in the league. This is why we will go down. 

We've played over half the season with a pathetic forward line as well. And the midfield isn't great.

If we stay up this season there ought to be a **** parade for Jack Grealish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not read back on this thread, just jumped in so this may have been said, but I have seen in 45 minutes why Engels lost his place and is possibly not up to this level (despite his national call up). He stands watching the game when he is the senior defender.

I don’t know what John Terry does for us? 

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Stated earlier that Villa would rue their missed chances. If Villa are going to stay in the Premiership then they need to be far more clinical.

That being said thought Villa played really well giving Spurs all sorts of problems going forward.

Although Drinkwater gave the ball away several times there’s definitely a very good player in there and that’s why Smith has persevered with him. 

Been one of Luiz’s critics but thought he had his best half of football for Villa.

Grealish his usual brilliant self but went too deep towards the second part of first half.

Defensively though Villa are wide open on the break and that needs addressed at half time or they will concede again.

• Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

Well, yes probably - but the other players didn't even look interested.

The ref went to each of them individually to tell them he was pulling it back if they encroached, literally 2 seconds before he blew the whistle for it to be taken. Alli took a couple's of steps back because of it.

They were being overly wary. Should've reacted, but I can get why.

• Thanks 1

Can I just mention the tactics here. Why are we trying to outplay a Champions League side in our own half? Why are our centre half’s playing one twos with each other? Why are we giving it to our central midfielders with their back to goal under pressure? 

We’ve looked good going forward but it’s an absolutely suicidal tactic playing the way we are in the conditions. Do you think Burnley or Sheff Utd mess around with it like we do 5 yards in front of their own box. 

The style is admiral but you have to have better players to pull it off. They win one challenge 40 yards from our goal and they’re running directly at our defence. 

Get it down the channels and build from there. 

Argh!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was a penalty. Also no player was going to get to the rebound before Son.

I just don’t get why we’re trying to play offside in the oppositions half!

Engels is way too slow to be playing at the centre of a three. With Son and Moura playing, his lack of pace being exposed was always going to happen. 

I dont think it's worth sitting around debating whether it was a penalty. He knocked a quick player going at full speed off his stride before touching the ball. We'd be up in arms if the teams were reversed and we didnt get that.

Plus, we shouldn't let our defence off that easily.  They're dragging us down game after game. Whether it's Vardy, Deeney, Wilson or Son, it seems there is no style of forward we can deal with.

• Like 3