• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Nakamba (Drinkwater 59)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Samatta (Bastón 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/20 at 23:59

Samatta , Grealish , el ghazi, Douglas and Reina were all very good - sadly drinkwater and the back 3 were not up to scratch and it cost us dear - we have 4 centre backs of which only mings is good enough for this level - that  will cost us dear .

unfortunately the Walsall and brentford fans who warned of smiths sides poor defences were correct - not sure what JT brings to the party as our defence has been dreadful all season 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Terrific performance, well done to every player and Deano and the Coaching staff.

In no way did Sours look like a team with years and millions of pounds advantage over us.

If we repeat that level of performance we will stay up comfortably.

Not read any comments yet but I’m certain there will be a few that are critical.

Will make it nice and easy to update my Ignore list.

Understatement of the century! 😂

Fwiw, I still think we'll be in this league next season. It doesn't feel that way after that heartbreaking defeat, but let's be honest, if Engels doesn't make that howler and we come away with the point, the posts would be mainly fully of optimism and Engels would be praised to the heavens for getting us that vital point. In no way are we doomed to go down, although right now it's hard to see any hope. Such is the life of a Villa supporter. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Watched the whole game on Sky, thought you were very unlucky to not get at least a point, as a neutral it's easy to see your defence is the major problem, John Terry is supposed to be coaching your defence, Am I right?, well,  on that showing, as well as others, he's stealing a living and just trading on his name alone, he needs replacing urgently with a experience defensive coach for the remaining games, if you were to do that I think you will survive, and I hope you do.

Wasn’t smith also a defender and weren’t his teams at Walsall and brentford also poor at the back  ? Whereas JT rightly deserves to be questioned so does the manager whose record defensively has been poor everywhere he’s been 

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Samatta , Grealish , el ghazi, Douglas and Reina were all very good - sadly drinkwater and the back 3 were not up to scratch and it cost us dear - we have 4 centre backs of which only mings is good enough for this level - that  will cost us dear .

unfortunately the Walsall and brentford fans who warned of smiths sides poor defences were correct - not sure what JT brings to the party as our defence has been dreadful all season 

But if Smith and RoK can't organise a defence - Terry who is learning off those two is unlikely to have much of an impact.

1 minute ago, Villa94 said:

Well I thought we were fantastic......... very unlucky in the end.........on to the next utv

First 30 minutes we were superb and should have been 3 up - those are the times you have to kill teams off at this level , attack was very good including the wing backs and luiz and Reina both superb - back 3 will send us down ,  nowhere near good enough , it’s just a question of which defender will cost us each week 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Therein lies the problem Terry. I'm already bracing myself for a shite 2-0 performance at Southampton. 

That is indeed a major worry. At our best, we’re capable of some very good fotball, but we’re too inconsistent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

But if Smith and RoK can't organise a defence - Terry who is learning off those two is unlikely to have much of an impact.

Terry probably knows more than both of those about organising defences  , which makes it puzzling why we are so poor at the back ,  Cahill in the summer would have been far better than spending so much on konsa or Engels 

Edited by Eastie

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Terrific performance, well done to every player and Deano and the Coaching staff.

In no way did Sours look like a team with years and millions of pounds advantage over us.

If we repeat that level of performance we will stay up comfortably.

Not read any comments yet but I’m certain there will be a few that are critical.

Will make it nice and easy to update my Ignore list.

well you can add me for a starter then.  Smith's mistakes cost us massively today.  the team played well going forward but taking off el ghazi and samata just handed the initiative to spurs when we should have been pushing them back.  he clearly shouldn't have played engels in a back 3 as he can't play there.  konsa and hause aren't good enough without mings to organise them.  even then they struggle.  If Terry is meant to be coaching that defence he should resign in shame asap.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Terry probably knows more than both of those about organising defences  , which makes it puzzling why we are so poor at the back ,  Cahill in the summer would have been far better than spending so much on konsa or Engels 

Yes - but the rookie coach can't be seen to be better than the head coach.

Thought Engles looked ok until he got injured. Never really seen Konsa as anything above adequate...don't get the big fee paid ....he's sort of Nathan Baker calibre.

• Like 2

Â