• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Nakamba (Drinkwater 59)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Samatta (Bastón 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/20 at 23:59

42 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We signed and spent a lot but lacked premier league experience - Cahill rather than Engels or konsa would have allowed us to consolidate in this division and then kick on for the future 

Perhaps so. Or perhaps with our luck he would have got injured on his debut and we would have been forking out wages that we couldn't sustain due to FFP. Who knows eh?! 

Anyway, I respect your opinion, we do look weak in the centre half position but if Tyrone plays today I think we win that comfortably! 

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

How did Samatta and Baston look?

Samatta looked really bright. Some good hold up play and touches. 

Baston looked ok. Didn't have much time and we were quite defensive when he came on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely gut wrenching way to lose a game, but we have done it to others the last few weeks. Swings around. We deserved a point or more today.

At times going forward we were very good. AEG carried a threat which had been missing for weeks, so the mini break has done the trick for him. Samatta was bright throughout and caused them problems. Grealish was his usual self, if a little selfish at times, but I can’t blame him really. If he lays one on a plate, like the Luiz chance then what more can he do. I don’t want to talk about the Baston cameo.

Drinkwater is an issue, no doubt about it. Was he pushed onto Smith? Who knows, but crikey is he off the pace. He will play more games it’s obvious, but he’s going to cost us. Luiz, barring his bad miss was pretty decent and Nakamba made some important blocks. However, we do lack industry and a spark from midfield though.

Defence. Well, we missed Mings it’s as simple as that. Engels still doesn’t seem fully fit to me or does he simply lack match sharpness? At times, people just run past him. Thought Targett, Konsa and Hause were good today. Reina was excellent.

Overall, we can’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives and ultimately it’s going to cost us. No point dressing it up or saying it’s negative. It’s a fact. We have the worst defensive stats in the division.

Edited by ferguson1

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

How did Samatta and Baston look?

Samatta played well, worked hard, linked up play, not a typical hold-up striker but still capable of doing that at times but also has the ability to run into channels, pressurised Alderweireld for the opening own goal and wasn't too far off with an header, tidy in possession and harassed when he could. He was tired when he came off but in hindsight we should have kept him on because Baston was poor when he came on to be honest. Nearly set them up for a goal then came to challenge for a header when he didnt need to which ultimately led to the goal. Not the best 8 minutes or so but hopefully he will settle in and prove to be of use.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skell said:

What exactly did he get wrong?

He got it wrong by sitting and watching our defence for 94 minutes and not changing a single thing. That back 3 were shambolic today and we looked like conceding at every simple ball pushed over the top or in between. We were 1-0 up and kept pushing forward with a shit defence, stupid. We got back level at 2-2 and still didn’t learn, and kept trying to go forward rather than defend properly. Mourinho took Smiths pants down. He calculated it would be won in midfield, as I have said, and he made the changes that saw Spurs go pretty much the entirety of the 2nd half unscathed. Targett &Guilbert were nullified, as was Grealish. Because Mourinho got his team to control midfield, in the full knowledge that we were defensively shit. Spurs didn’t have to do anything even remotely special to win that game. When I see us like this I cannot see anything other than relegation, it’s like we are learning nothing tactically. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Deserved a point. Not surprised by the usual overreactions though. That wasn’t a performance from a team that is nailed on for relegation like so many claim.

Love your optimism Robbie. Are you saying ' too good to go down'. I don't know if you noticed but our goalkeeper was voted MOM again.....

Regards,

VLD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

If Danny Drinkwater starts another game for us we are down. He looks a stone and half overweight, has the look of a bloke who turned up after a night on the tiles and hoping a run around would sweat it out of him. Far too slow mentally as well as physically for where we are at this moment. Whoever sanctioned this signing wants shooting.

This loss was on others, not Drinkwater.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Twelve more chances remain - if we can perform like we did today, cut out a couple of errors and find a level playing field, there's no reason to think we can't take some of them.

Completely agree, we could have won that, we played some really good football at times and on balance looked better than them for much of the 90 minutes. We *had* to find a reaction to the last away game where we just didn't play at all and we did and then some. 

Result is not great, we're still not in the bottom 3 though and if we play like that in 10 of the next 12 games we'll get the points we need to stay up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

only Villa could hand a team the game in the last twenty seconds of injury time!

Also we give some pretty poor balls away cheaply......that encourages the opposition back in to the game.......we simply can't contain, opposing teams.

its not just the defence, its the defending......and if we do go down, it still needs to be addressed.

Plenty of good performances today from us. The main thing I took home from that though is the conviction that the referees are on the take. No yellows for Spurs in that game is so demonstrably corrupt it's unbelievable. They're obviously all at it though so no one does a thing. 

• Thanks 1

That was only Spurs 3rd away win of the season.

We simpy cannot continue conceding goals at the rate we do, without consequences.

We made some good passages of play and started very brightly, but the result is oh so familiar.....Engels approach to that long ball was half soaked, he has to concentrate better than that.......overall despite us being unlucky, we was beaten for pace quiet often.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Also we give some pretty poor balls away cheaply......that encourages the opposition back in to the game.......we simply can't contain, opposing teams.

its not just the defence, its the defending......and if we do go down, it still needs to be addressed.

We are able to go from domination to succumbing under pressure in 20 seconds. All we need is one poor pass. It's just unbelievable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

This loss was on others, not Drinkwater.

I thought he showed tenacity in the challenge and was picking up many bits and pieces....not great, but better.

not seeing why chelsea parted with such a huge sum for him.

but our fitness training does raise questions ,how players get knackered so easily.

40 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

He got it wrong by sitting and watching our defence for 94 minutes and not changing a single thing. That back 3 were shambolic today and we looked like conceding at every simple ball pushed over the top or in between. We were 1-0 up and kept pushing forward with a shit defence, stupid. We got back level at 2-2 and still didn’t learn, and kept trying to go forward rather than defend properly. Mourinho took Smiths pants down. He calculated it would be won in midfield, as I have said, and he made the changes that saw Spurs go pretty much the entirety of the 2nd half unscathed. Targett &Guilbert were nullified, as was Grealish. Because Mourinho got his team to control midfield, in the full knowledge that we were defensively shit. Spurs didn’t have to do anything even remotely special to win that game. When I see us like this I cannot see anything other than relegation, it’s like we are learning nothing tactically. 

Most of our games are lost in midfield...no domination from the centre.

but the reaction of our players to the penalty save was poor.

Engels attempt to trap that ball was meh!!!

Edited by TRO

Â