• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Nakamba (Drinkwater 59)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Samatta (Bastón 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/20 at 23:59

52 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Deserved a point. Not surprised by the usual overreactions though. That wasn’t a performance from a team that is nailed on for relegation like so many claim.

No we was unlucky imo.

but the teams at the bottom are so much better than yesteryear.

The cold facts remain we conceded 3 goals at home. And look wide open on the counter.....we have to stop it.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Just want to wish everyone at the match well for the difficult journey home - stay safe.

Also thoughts and wishes to the residents of the Witton area. Hope you are not too messed up by the flooding.

Flooding?

Do you mean from rainwater, or the amount if goals we concede

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Spurs are very average and terrible away. Should have got at least a point and not let them win it like we did at the end. 

Aston Villa, the gift that keeps on giving.

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Spurs are very average and terrible away. Should have got at least a point and not let them win it like we did at the end. 

Aston Villa, the gift that keeps on giving.

Tongue in cheek , I know......but so depressingly apt.

Defence is shocking, and has been all season, with and without mings.

I, personally, blame poor defensive coaching.

Also, after a 2 week break, i struggle to understand why so many players looked dead on their feet after 60 minutes!  Is it poor conditioning?  Or, are we training too hard?  Either way, its poor coaching.

Going forward, we can look amazing, despite some really poor moments from el ghazi and trez.  Grealish and samatta looked very good today.

Drinkwater should not be in this team.  In every game he has played, everytime the ball goes near him it leads to a shot against.  The guy is a liability of the highest order and should be sent home.  Complete waste of time and money and i 100% blame anything he does on DS as he was a DS signing - shockingly bad player.

Overall, most of the issues that have plagued us all season, from individual errors, poor passing, poor fitness, are all coachable.  Pretty much none of these players, other than Grealish, looked better today than match day 1, and that falls at DSs feet.

I love the guy, and want him to secceed, but wanting it doesnt make him a better coach.

He has shown himself to be naieve time and again at this level.  I see no progression, and no improvement, no sign that he is learning from his experience in the Premier League.

It kills me to say it, but i really think DS needs to move on if we are to establish ourselves at the top level again.  I truely feel the coaching team are holding the players back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Also we give some pretty poor balls away cheaply......that encourages the opposition back in to the game.......we simply can't contain, opposing teams.

its not just the defence, its the defending......and if we do go down, it still needs to be addressed.

We gave it everything physically for 20 minutes before that, the last 15 of the regular 90 got more and more disjointed and by the time the stoppage time started we were **** knackered. We're light on CBs if we're going to play a 3, didn't have one on the bench today. The annoying thing is on the whole, we look good playing the 3, but it's like saying a keeper concentrates well 99% of the time. That 1% is nearly always a goal against. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

if you aint going to tell me what it's about then it's meh

The first link is primarily for xG stuff. Main thing there is the quality of chances each side got in the match as well as a few other stats.

Second link is for every other stat. If you want to check how many times a certain player gets disposessed. attempted a dribble, etc as well as the ratings the players got overall for their performance in the match.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

No real change from the first game of the season. We have not learnt our lessons. JT and Smith what do you do at Bodymoor.  Individual errors (Engels how could you) could cost us our prem league position. In periods we can look like a decent top flight team, but in other periods look like a league one side.  Horrible weather, a real long journey to and back and then lose in the last minute. The joys of following the Villa. Oh well. I suppose being philosophical it was better to get the winner (plus 2 points) v watford in the last minute than losing today (1 point lost).

I thought Samatta looked lively in the first half. I don't think Drinkwater was that bad but he is still not fit and his legs have gone tbh.  I would not keep him on after the summer. Luiz though has promise is not a central defensive midfielder. We should have bought a experienced DM in the summer.   If we have a slightly better and 10 years younger version of Glenn Whelan and had Samatta in august I think we would be in lower mid table by now.

No one played really badly but we are still to naive, too soft and you have no confidence that we will keep a clean sheet for the rest of the season. That immediately puts you on the back foot in every game. Our forward play at times was very good today but we have thrown yet another chance to get points v a top 10 side.  To be honest Southampton is a must win now. We just smell of relegation. Nice on the eye but soft.

Edited by The Fun Factory

It has been a continual theme of the season that we gift the opposition easy chances, usually by overplaying at the back or loss of concentration, and today it happened again numerous times. 

Poor defending has cost us alot of points this season and could be the difference between staying up and going down. 

Well I am going to play the overreaction card. Sorry but I feel I am due. The blatant incompetence/ corruption of referees and VAR has killed a lot of my enjoyment of this season.  Its just not much fun going into every game wondering how you are going to get cheated/ screwed rather than looking forward to a game of football. 

Yes I am angry :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

Anyone saying we were 2nd best in that game really needs to keep their mouths shut to stop embarrassing themselves;  We were really good today, to a man. Even engels played well except for that late mistake.

Just how spurs found themselves in the lead at half time is mystery, we really could have been 3 up before they even started. 

Our front 3 were simply dangerous today. Love samatas energy, and el ghazis ability to recycle from defence to attack was top notch too. We really did cause some problems.

However when they went off we felt it. No problem with smith on this one, they were the subs that needed to be made, it's just that the subs were not good enough.

This makes the result even more gutting. You could understand if we had lost to a superior side. Even when they stepped it up in that 20 minute spell in the 2nd half we got through it, thanks to an inspired performance from Reina. 

Good performance but no points......Feelings are still raw but It currently feels as if its pre destined that we go down!

Some good points raised Nigel . Can't agree with your last sentence though. Nothing is 'pre destined'. If we go down then it will mean that we have not been good enough and that the 146 million spent in the summer was wasted.

Regards,

VLD.

Had to watch at work so missed a few mins here and there.

Same thing happens every week, walk straight through our midfield.

We either say that the 2 wing backs jack el ghazi and samatta will have to do the attacking on their own and the 2 midfielders do not go forward full stop or the 3 cbs ate ordered when an attacker walks past our midfielders to go straight to close them down as they normally just stand off inviting the player closer to goal.

It was an end to end game from what I saw, samatta looked good as did jack target el ghazi and reina.

Hause was decent until the last 20 minutes then reverted back to his cant pass to a team mate.

Konsa looked flat footed several times as did engels.

Central 2 were pretty useless offering limited cover support defence or anything.

When a centre midfielder is played the ball to feet by a defender in acres of space only for the midfield to hit it right back to the defender several times througjout the game you really do wonder what is the point of that player being there.

Exciting game with a few odd decisions and jack, shoot when near the 6 yard box, 2 or 3 pull backs when a shot was on each time.

Fingers and toes now crossed 

Â