• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Nakamba (Drinkwater 59)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Samatta (Bastón 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/20 at 23:59

Can we dispense with the joke votes in the refs performance?

I really don't believe anyone but Spuds fans would vote the word removed good or very good unless on a strange wind-up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

because he and/or Terry sets us up so we get murdered on the break, every time Spurs broke they nearly scored.

I high line when Konsa and House both have good speed is not setting up to get murdered.  it's staying compact and generally considered a good thing.

Engels had a horror missed ball.  Son punished it.

For ****’s **** sake! We had the winning of that and should have got at least one more, probably two, before they got a sniff at goal in the first half. Spurs were panicky in defence and wasteful in attack. 

Jack had a great game as usual but I worry that we have now got into the habit of feeding him for every attack, and his decision-making around the final ball wasn’t great today in terms of when to shoot and when and how to pass. So relying so much on him has a downside.

Reina was superb in goal and we may have taken a bigger beating without him. Felt so sorry for him over the penalty. 

Silly defensive mistakes let us down as so often. May I hereby take back all the nice things I said about Engels in the match thread? 😡

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Just now, srsmithusa said:

I high line when Konsa and House both have good speed is not setting up to get murdered.  it's staying compact and generally considered a good thing.

Engels had a horror missed ball.  Son punished it.

well it didn't work today, it wasn't just Engel's late mistake that was punished.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Absolutely sickening. Shows what a horrible decision it was to send your second best CB out on loan because if Chester had been playing instead of Engels Villa would have got a point at least.

Manager also needs smacked for substituting Sam who was coming into the game more. Horrid decision to do that because it allowed Spurs to push up.

Its actually the best I’ve seen Villa play this season but managerial decisions and mistakes has nullified that.

I would like to ask again why are Villa so open at the back when you have John Terry as coach? Either Terry is a much better player than a coach or Smith and players aren’t listening to him?

Really fear for Villa now after a loss like that.

• Like 2

This shower will always let you down. Grealish is to greedy with the ball, a couple of times the pass for Samatta was on but he decided to go on a one man solo journey.

MOTM for me was Samatta. Unbelievable hold-up play and intelligence.

Engels has been a liability all season, just look at the stats.

If we never bought 3 championship centre backs in the summer we would have stayed in this league comfortably. We played some excellent stuff in that first half and looked a very good football team. But you can’t win games with defenders like that 

• Like 2

Another game where we don't just shoot ourselves in the foot we take a shotgun and kneecap ourselves too

Not just engels fault, Luis should have put us 2 up, el ghazi should have scored, drink water should be sent back to Chelsea after another game bringing nothing to the team, Hause isn't good enough

A trip to Southampton up next who've taken less points at home than any other team this season, and we all know villa love to give a team a helping hand

4 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

If we had half decent centre backs we'd be a different team.

Hause thinks he's far better on the ball than the Trainwreck he is.

Engels can't deal with any space in behind him. 

The amount of times we had opportunity to clear the danger and just gave it right to a spurs player today was obscene.

However we created so much today, and controlled large parts of the game and deserved more.

Find it surprising that some can blame smith after the individual errors made this game.

You might not want to blame him - but he is accountable for results.

I never understand the individual errors line. It is the managers job to keep such errors at a minimum. He trains players, come s up with tactics , make s decisions to reduce such errors.

Sure if once in a blue moon player X has a stinker - but when it's a regular feature - it's a problem - you can't just shrug you're shoulders and say "not me guv"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Exactly. Defend from the front and all that. 

Samatta was bossing thier defence, giving us an out ball, winning some of those long balls cleared from defence. 

I have no idea who this borja is, but he came on and looked slow, and ineffective. 

You do have to wonder what goes through Dean smiths mind sometimes.. 

Samatta was brilliant and pulling their defenders out which was giving our full backs and JG opportunities to get on the ball. 

Borja was signed from Swansea and couldn't even get in their team in the Championship, he looked terrible and I sincerely hope he doesn't play another game for us this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, striker said:

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Absolutely sickening. Shows what a horrible decision it was to send your second best CB out on loan because if Chester had been playing instead of Engels Villa would have got a point at least.

If you read match reports and supporter comments for the last two Stoke games you'll find Chester has had two pretty bad games. Mainly because he has played so little this season and lack sharpness and match fitness. If he played today things could have been even worse.

• Like 2

Just now, VillanousOne said:

If you read match reports and supporter comments for the last two Stoke games you'll find Chester has had two pretty bad games. Mainly because he has played so little this season and lack sharpness and match fitness. If he played today things could have been even worse.

Doubt that.

7 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Can we dispense with the joke votes in the refs performance?

I really don't believe anyone but Spuds fans would vote the word removed good or very good unless on a strange wind-up.

What did the ref do wrong? I voted average as I'd say all in all he didn't get much wrong.  Aurier probably should've been booked. 

It feels like we are using the ref as an excuse to cover up that shocking defensive display.  

• Like 3

Â