Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Very easy to say, how many big money signings at the same level of Dybala (at the time) have totally flopped in the PL?

It's all getting very Captain Hindsight in here.

EDIT: Page break monster got me again :( 

Edited by StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

but he went from Palermo to Juventus for 32 million Euros'...... we are in that market according to reports now.

We need to be intrepid moving forward.

In 2015, market has moved a bit in 5 years...

It's more than speculation, if you do some research.

Point is, 'statements of intent' are all well and good, but you

1) Need to be willing to pay absurd cash (talking 100m+ and 250k/300k wages)

2) Will the player's motivation be there?

3) FFP

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

but he went from Palermo to Juventus for 32 million Euros'...... we are in that market according to reports now.

We might be able to afford the fees but we can't compete with the draw of other teams (and as Vive said the wages if that's the case).

Edited by Rolta

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

But, going by the signings you're advocating, we wouldn't be allowed to go and sign a player from Palermo or equivalent! 😜😜

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

But, going by the signings you're advocating, we wouldn't be allowed to go and sign a player from Palermo or equivalent! 😜😜

We would, but only the fringes of Palermo.

Seriously, nearly two weeks in to the window and not one proper link, let alone a signing.....

The suspense is nearly as bad as the relegation fight stress......

Edited by MaVilla

From the looks of things our budget is probably closer to150m. As we have links to full back on both sides, wingers on both sides, central midfielders and strikers. I reckon the 100m figure is the minimum spend expected.

This is what I thought would be the amount we need to spend. Because of the relatively low wages we got the players in for last summer, plus the 150m TV revenue the shedding of high earners our wage bill for last season probably wasn't higher than our promotion season.

Also another window of huge investment is absolutely necessary given we barely finished 17th with a quite pitiful points tally of 35.

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Also another window of huge investment is absolutely necessary given we barely finished 17th with a quite pitiful points tally of 35.

Agreed, but different investment. We need 4-5 players averaging 30m a player to really improve the 1st team and knock some of our 1st teamers back to squad players.

If I were to choose 5 positions, it would be:

LB
CM
LW
ST
RW

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Seriously, nearly two weeks in to the window and not one proper link, let alone a signing.....

The suspense is nearly as bad as the relegation fight stress......

No, it's really not. Relax and enjoy it. We have 2 months of the window left.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Agreed, but different investment. We need 4-5 players averaging 30m a player to really improve the 1st team and knock some of our 1st teamers back to squad players.

If I were to choose 5 positions, it would be:

LB
CM
LW
ST
RW

What's wrong with Targett? He creates a lot of chances, and he's good looking too.

I like the idea of a young backup LB to challenge him instead of Taylor. The Aaron Hickey link will do for me, even though I've never seen him play or even heard of him before this window.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

What's wrong with Targett? He creates a lot of chances, and he's good looking too.

I like the idea of a young backup LB to challenge him instead of Taylor. The Aaron Hickey link will do for me, even though I've never seen him play or even heard of him before this window.

Alright Matt ;)

All jokes aside, nothing really, but high quality competition for him would be good for the team and for him to be honest!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

From the looks of things our budget is probably closer to150m. As we have links to full back on both sides, wingers on both sides, central midfielders and strikers. I reckon the 100m figure is the minimum spend expected.

This is what I thought would be the amount we need to spend. Because of the relatively low wages we got the players in for last summer, plus the 150m TV revenue the shedding of high earners our wage bill for last season probably wasn't higher than our promotion season.

I actually agree with you, I doubt we will have a "set budget".

I feel it will depend on:

- What/who becomes available.

- Who we are willing to push the boat out to get.

- Outgoings?

- Asking prices for top targets.

- Wages

- FFP limit and what we are willing to sacrifice this season. (The more we spend this, the less we have for January or next season?)

- 4 - 6 top quality signings. (Possibly 4 guaranteed starters and 2 potential/future stars)?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Pound for pound we might be able to compete with a lot of clubs when it comes to players who have not made their big move yet.

But as a club we are not the same draw as Milan, Lyon, Sevilla, Benfica, Leverkusen and so on to a lot of players I'd wager. The PL is attractive but we are a new entity for young foreign players and our manager is unknown to most. Even the clubs below the usual title contenders in the European leagues are likely more attractive than us currently. In that respect I agree we need to make a marquee signing to get others to take notice. But it wont be someone who is already earning 3 times as much as our highest paid player. We need to be smart about it.

If we could snap up someone like Jonathan David or Dominik Szoboszlai it wouldn't perhaps break the internet and it would be a gamble of sorts, but it would be a show of intent.