Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

28 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

The Championship is categorically far weaker than La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga. To argue otherwise is akin to saying the Championship isn't far weaker than the Premier League, which, of course, it is. 

I don't really want to get into a semantics debate over 'far', because I'd say that the Hungarian league, for example, would constitute 'far weaker' and the championship is definitely a lot better than that.

44 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

The Championship is categorically far weaker than La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga. To argue otherwise is akin to saying the Championship isn't far weaker than the Premier League, which, of course, it is. 

Well, no it isn't akin to saying that. Teams not good enough for The Premier League are relegated from it and only the best teams from The Championship get into it so it is clearly weaker than The Premier League. 

Those other leagues have strength at the top end only.  I am pretty sure that most Championship teams would survive mid to lower table in those leagues.   They are well weaker than The PL. 

Edited by sidcow

Just now, sidcow said:

Well, no it isn't akin to saying that. Teams not good enough for The Premier League are relegated from it and only the best teams from The Championship get into it so it is clearly weaker than The Premier League. 

Those other leagues have strength at the top end only.  I am pretty sure that most Championship teams would survive mid table in those leagues.   They are well weaker than The PL. 

Nah, I think some of the promoted teams might, depending on what team and which year.

Just look at this West Brom team that finished 2nd. It's god awful. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't really want to get into a semantics debate over 'far', because I'd say that the Hungarian league, for example, would constitute 'far weaker' and the championship is definitely a lot better than that.

La Liga sides knocked Liverpool, Man United and Wolves out of Europe this season. Bundesliga sides knocked Chelsea and Spurs out. 2 French teams made the Champions League semi finals (one of them knocking Man City out). These are good leagues. Neil Warnock teams full of plodders routinely get promoted from the Championship. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign anyone from the Championship, just that it's wrong to say Championship players are safer bets. They haven't proven that they have enough ability to play in a top league, and so £28m, etc is a massive gamble. Players who have performed well in top European leagues have at least proven that they have the ability required at a similar level to the PL. They're also often very affordable. Kevin Volland is a fantastic striker/wide attacker, and moved the other day for just £15m (just over half what Watkins will reportedly cost!). Yes, they might need help settling into a new country, but that's why clubs invest in player liaison teams. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Those other leagues have strength at the top end only.  I am pretty sure that most Championship teams would survive mid to lower table in those leagues.   They are well weaker than The PL. 

Totally disagree

• Like 2

I've changed my tune but i'd try and hijack the Ryan Fraser move. What we need are players who have performed well in the Premier League. 

Would be a decent signing on a free. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

La Liga sides knocked Liverpool, Man United and Wolves out of Europe this season. Bundesliga sides knocked Chelsea and Spurs out. 2 French teams made the Champions League semi finals (one of them knocking Man City out). These are good leagues. Neil Warnock teams full of plodders routinely get promoted from the Championship. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign anyone from the Championship, just that it's wrong to say Championship players are safer bets. They haven't proven that they have enough ability to play in a top league, and so £28m, etc is a massive gamble. Players who have performed well in top European leagues have at least proven that they have the ability required at a similar level to the PL. They're also often very affordable. Kevin Volland is a fantastic striker/wide attacker, and moved the other day for just £15m (just over half what Watkins will reportedly cost!). Yes, they might need help settling into a new country, but that's why clubs invest in player liaison teams. 

But as we've seen with Rashica, we're struggling to get players of the requisite quality from those leagues. 

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Percy saying West Ham are looking to spend the Diangana money on a CB and are in for Tarkowski. Surely they have no chance of affording Benrahma too. Could he end up here after all?

Tarkowski is surely going to cost 40-50m? 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Tarkowski is surely going to cost 40-50m? 

I'd have thought so. Apparently they've had a £20m bid plus significant add ons rejected but are expected to bid again. Seems like Benrahma is way down their list of priorities.

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

But as we've seen with Rashica, we're struggling to get players of the requisite quality from those leagues. 

That's only one player! They're not a homogenous mass! Leeds are newly-promoted and have signed Spain's number 1 striker, as well a Germany international CB. They're also closing in on Rodrigo De Paul who's a fantastic player. There are loads of good players who would improve us to be found in other leagues, but we seem to be intent on spending huge amounts on Championship players if reports are to be believed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I'd have thought so. Apparently they've had a £20m bid plus significant add ons rejected but are expected to bid again. Seems like Benrahma is way down their list of priorities.

Their priorities will be defence 

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Tarkowski linked to eest ham for 20 mill by percy. Should be all over that

They won’t be getting him for 20m - no chance. If we could get him for 30m with a fair few add ons it would be good business but I don’t think our budget will stretch that far and we’d have to move Engels on at the very least. 

Unless the club just don’t abide by FFP this summer and really try to strengthen.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Looks like Chelsea have got Havertz, I put that as them having 11 midfielders/wingers. Surely they’ll be looking to sell now. Wonder if we could get Loftus Cheek, if fit would be great in our midfield

Their squad depth is absolutely insane, almost to the point it shouldn’t be allowed. 

There will be a few available in that squad now for sure. 

The front 4 in their ‘B’ team is:

Abraham, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson Odoi, Barkley. 

Edited by Delphinho123

Chelsea got havertz for 71m.

they have a net spend of about 150m currently (suppose that isnt too bad tbh)

They must want to sell some players now to recoup some money???, a few good players there who in reality will now be bit part players (Ampadu, Loftus Cheek, Batshuayi.....)