Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yeah tends to be. But he’s got all Reading stuff right before. He’s a reading fan. 

But this isn't Reading stuff. It's villa stuff. Also, his next tweet is about how we are after Watkins and he's our main target. And his source is 'close to the top'. Hmmmm

He may be knowledgeable about Reading stuff, couldn't care. He has no track record of knowing anything villa. 

I'm impatient too and want some signings, but I'm not going to worry unduly if we end up picking off championship players. There are plenty of good players there. We had a few when we were down there that we wouldn't want to lose today. 

Look, we stayed up by the skin of our teeth. Maybe this is going to take a little longer and we need to establish ourselves as mid table before attracting more exotic talent. We don't need too much to do that. Our squad was new last year and has had a year to settle in and get to know each other and adjust. We should be a better team next year even without a single signing, but we will sign players. We stayed up despite losing our keeper and only striker for six months, as well as McGinn. That's rotten luck for injuries. We will strengthen our squad, have Wes and Heaton back too, and have more options off the bench. Let's just concentrate on improving season by season. Finish this season in 14th or something, become an established Premier League team then next year if we have another £100m to spend we can try and get the one or two £50m glamour signings and push on. Think we need to play the long game. 

• Like 3

I know very little of John Swift but it feels like if we are after him we have missed out on our first target.  Similar to our pursuit of Benherama and Phillips only to end up with Trezeguet and Nakamba. Like others in the thread, my big fear is we don't have the pull or we are so focused on getting value we walk away from deals we deem too pricey. 

Sometimes you just have to pay a bit more, particularly when good players attract good players. Buy cheap buy twice.

Edited by Tez500
  • Like 1

I don't agree with the sentiment that the Championship is a good place to buy. The earlier statement that "we had a few down there that we wouldn't want to lose today" I disagree with. The best two I can think of are Konsa and Hourihane and I think both are easily replaceable.

How much shite did we buy for big money down in that league? The better players we have now are either homegrown or came from outside of the Championship. I'd prefer us not to buy from the Championship. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't agree with the sentiment that the Championship is a good place to buy. The earlier statement that "we had a few down there that we wouldn't want to lose today" I disagree with. The best two I can think of are Konsa and Hourihane and I think both are easily replaceable.

How much shite did we buy for big money down in that league? The better players we have now are either homegrown or came from outside of the Championship. I'd prefer us not to buy from the Championship. 

There are bargains and potential brilliant players in there as we have seen over the years.  It's just a case of picking the right one but for every Roy Keane there are 100 Robbie Savages.  

They should be a educated gamble and not to be the main purchases as you can never tell if they will do it in the prem.  They can't be bought to start games.

I’m not worried about what kind of pull we have and I trust we will bring in quality. I’ve always thought that with this group you never know where our signings will come from anyway. My issue is mainly with the whole “we have until October 5th before the window closes” mentality. I’m not suggesting we would wait to sign everyone until then but why do we want to be waiting until 3 games into the season to be finalizing our team? Obviously this is a unique time we are living but wouldn’t there be some sort of urgency with that? Why would we not want to try to bring guys in as soon as possible to get acclimated, especially if they’re foreign guys?

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Obviously this is a unique time we are living but wouldn’t there be some sort of urgency with that? Why would we not want to try to bring guys in as soon as possible to get acclimated, especially if they’re foreign guys?

I completely agree that you’d want players in sooner rather than later. But I think the bit in bold is the key to understanding why this market is so odd:

I think teams are holding out for top dollar because of uncertainty with other revenue streams. Their players are really the only assets that haven’t gone down in value. And teams have seen massive inflation in fees over the last three years (Webster from Bristol, Watkins, Benrahma). Teams are artificially inflating the market because of uncertainty elsewhere. And perhaps the lack of liquidity in some clubs has forced them into refusing deals that are structured with lots of add ins in favour of more up front? Then they don’t want to let go of players before they get someone in as a replacement in case lockdown measures are reintroduced.

How much of the negotiations are happening while staff are working from home? Does this slow things down? 

And finally, I wonder how much more carefully players are thinking about moves. Perhaps Rashica wants to stay in Germany so he can get back to Kosovo a bit easier in case of emergency? Or those imports wanting to live in London because that’s where they think they might be able to survive in the event of a lockdown? 

All conjecture but hey, this is the transfer thread on VT.

• Like 1

I think the pandemic is being used more as an excuse. Other sides are making signings to be fair, or are close to signing players. We don't look close to signing anyone and the bookies odds of us being near favourites to go down reflect that. Looking at it now it looks like it's going to be another rough season which is starting to bore me with this club tbh. We can't even tie up a deal for Watkins FFS, a Championship player, though that may be a good thing as it's pretty clear we need better to be midtable next season. 

We've changed the backroom staff around, good, we've brought in some young academy talent, good. But this won't polish some of the turds we have on the pitch in our first team. We needed to entice players like McKennie and Rashica to us by offering them a decent pay packet and proving we have ambitions to be a European chasing side, they clearly didn't buy into it. It's not like we're looking to sign superstars here either, they're decent players who play in the Bundesliga who will make us better, nothing more nothing less. Our wages are one of the lowest in the Prem but to become more competitive we have to start paying the wages that midtable clubs do to attract better players, it's as simple as that. 

Ultimately I'm bored of the transfer merry go round, nothing seems to be happening and I think I'm just going to ignore the constant bile that's spewed by the press while we continue to not sign anyone. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Looking at it now it looks like it's going to be another rough season which is starting to bore me with this club tbh.

Apologies if I’m reading this out of context: I’m as disappointed by this window as the next Villa fan. And I’d rather we were playing in the CL and hadn’t been relegated and spent those years fighting for our lives in the championship. I’d rather Scott Hogan wasn’t on our books as a reminder of the s*it we were in. 

But I will never tire of ‘this club’. It needed us when we were in the Championship and it needs us now. If I need to be ‘bored’ by watching the club I love and have loved for as long as I can remember surviving by goal difference to be in its rightful place, then I’ll watch it and I’ll cry my eyes out at the end. A rough season would be going under - not failing to live up to some imagined and unrealistic expectations. 

And if the strangeness of the current situation - pandemic, shortened preseason, clubs being financially careful - is boring, then I suggest we all get out of the pool, dry off and go home. 

Again, apologies if I have read your post out of context, but your desire to follow the club should not hinge on the busyness of the sky sports transfer ticker.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

There are bargains and potential brilliant players in there as we have seen over the years.  It's just a case of picking the right one but for every Roy Keane there are 100 Robbie Savages.  

They should be a educated gamble and not to be the main purchases as you can never tell if they will do it in the prem.  They can't be bought to start games.

Savage wasn't a bad player at all as much as we dislike him.

20 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think the pandemic is being used more as an excuse. Other sides are making signings to be fair, or are close to signing players. We don't look close to signing anyone and the bookies odds of us being near favourites to go down reflect that. Looking at it now it looks like it's going to be another rough season which is starting to bore me with this club tbh. We can't even tie up a deal for Watkins FFS, a Championship player, though that may be a good thing as it's pretty clear we need better to be midtable next season. 

We've changed the backroom staff around, good, we've brought in some young academy talent, good. But this won't polish some of the turds we have on the pitch in our first team. We needed to entice players like McKennie and Rashica to us by offering them a decent pay packet and proving we have ambitions to be a European chasing side, they clearly didn't buy into it. It's not like we're looking to sign superstars here either, they're decent players who play in the Bundesliga who will make us better, nothing more nothing less. Our wages are one of the lowest in the Prem but to become more competitive we have to start paying the wages that midtable clubs do to attract better players, it's as simple as that. 

Ultimately I'm bored of the transfer merry go round, nothing seems to be happening and I think I'm just going to ignore the constant bile that's spewed by the press while we continue to not sign anyone. 

What evidence to you have to support this? For all you know Villa isn't rushing because they are monitoring the situation of various options. For all you know we are waiting for Chelsea to get a striker so we can offer Tammy a deal. I'm not saying we are doing that, it'd be foolish, it's just an example of how opportunities will come and go throughout the window. As for your claims, I hope I don't come across as a git for saying, I'm not sure they're substantiated by much other than your frustration with wanting the team to see some quality additions before another long and hard season commences.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Take away all his penalties and he scored 0.20 goals per 90 minutes this season. Conor Hourihane scored 0.18. Wesley scored 0.25. Over the last five seasons, 18 of his 47 goals have come on penalties. Take them away and he's quite ordinary.

Not quite sure why you would take away the penalties, though - they still counted as goals last time I looked. Take away Hourihane’s free kicks and where are you?

More generally, you have somehow produced  numbers that purport to show that Wesley did better than Deeney last season.By doing so, you may have reduced the serious science of statistics to a laughing stock.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

With Chelsea spending like there’s no tomorrow, I’d be more than happy to take some of their squad players, either on a loan (with an option to buy) or permanently now:

Zouma, Tomori, Christensen, Ampadu, Kenedy, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek etc

Hudson-Odoi on loan would improve us immensely down the right side. 

Tammy would be the jewel but probably be 50m plus and would Chelsea even sell? Doubt that one would come off but they have a huge pool of talent that’s worth fishing in. 

• Like 2