sne

7 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

-----------------------------------Edouard -------------------------------

Benrahma -------------------------------------------------- Rashica

------------------------------------ Jack -----------------------------------

-------------------McGinn -------------------- Luiz --------------------

Targett ---------- Mings ------------Konsa ---------- Guilbert

---------------------------------- Heaton ---------------------------------

Steer, Nyland, Hause, Elmo, Taylor, Engels, Nakamba, Lansbury, Hourihane, ELG, Trez, Wes, Samatta, Davis

Assuming Hogan, Kalinic, Bree, and Jota are gone. Think we need some more steel in the middle.

Jack needs to play left inside forward.

We need someone more combative in that midfield 3 imo to help mcginn and luiz.

That doesn't mean they can't be good footballers, but they definitely need to also have some steel, our midfield got played through a lot last season, we need to fix that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

-----------------------------------Edouard -------------------------------

Benrahma -------------------------------------------------- Rashica

------------------------------------ Jack -----------------------------------

-------------------McGinn -------------------- Luiz --------------------

Targett ---------- Mings ------------Konsa ---------- Guilbert

---------------------------------- Heaton ---------------------------------

Steer, Nyland, Hause, Elmo, Taylor, Engels, Nakamba, Lansbury, Hourihane, ELG, Trez, Wes, Samatta, Davis

Assuming Hogan, Kalinic, Bree, and Jota are gone. Think we need some more steel in the middle.

Wow, that front three is a dream

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I think it's naive to think that we just need to strengthen our attack and we'll go from a team that barely escaped relegation to a team that's comfortably midtable which is the aim for next season.  I'm expecting us to strenghten defence, midfield and attack.

It's about priorities. The greatest needs are in attack.  

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

It's about priorities. The greatest needs are in attack.  

Based on our pre lockdown goals conceded? 

Maybe we don't buy another defender, I think our defence gets better with another top quality midfielder, mckennie made perfect sense

Then it's wingers and a striker

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Eze expected to join Palace at the weekend

Shame that one, looks like a Londoner staying in London thing, not sure if we were ever that interested in him 

For 16m and 4m add ons i think that is a very good deal. Would have offered them conor and 10m. 

Not sure what the hell we are doing in but im goubg to expect the same excuses like luiz we signed him late no pre season takes a while to get use to how we play blah blah

• Like 1

We had one of the worst defences in the league last season, we only fixed that towards the end of the season because we went ultra defensive, overall our attack wasn't actually that bad, we need to improve in that area, but we need to improve all over the pitch, if the only changes to the team were a couple of wingers and a new striker then we'd be liable to struggle again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

We had one of the worst defences in the league last season, we only fixed that towards the end of the season because we went ultra defensive, overall our attack wasn't actually that bad, we need to improve in that area, but we need to improve all over the pitch, if the only changes to the team were a couple of wingers and a new striker then we'd be liable to struggle again.

Id get rid of hause or taylor as neither i think is good enough. We need a left back to compete with targett and a rb to do same with guilbert. Elmo is getting on abit now to be a starter impact sub/cup games only for me.

Konsa/engels with mings is decent so we could do with another cb maybe. 

But we desperately need a striker and winger

Personally:

Heaton

Guilbert - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Grujic - Luiz - McGinn

Rashica - Edouard - Grealish

Would ofc also sign watkins and benrahma to challenge :)

Edited by MaVilla

Things I want from this transfer widow 

Jack signing a new contract 

new singing that improve the team and allows us to play the football we want. Fast and and attacking. 

so, pacy players on the wings and a striker that convert his chances. 

faster and more robust full backs

a solid number 8 in the middle of the park. As good defensively and offensively 

hogan, Lansbury, jota, kalinic, Davis, samatta find new homes 

and a signing today 😅 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Things I want from this transfer widow 

Jack singing a new contract - the biggest thing that could happen this window

new singing that improve the team and allows us to play the football we want. Fast and and attacking. 

so, pacy players on the wings and a striker that convert his chances - for me, Rashica, Watson and Edouard but I think it will be players we haven't even seemingly been linked to that come through the door 

faster and more robust full backs - starting to get too much to wish for :D 

a solid number 8 in the middle of the park. As good defensively and offensively - John McGinn is this player mate?

hogan, Lansbury, jota, kalinic, Davis, samatta find new homes - agree with all except Davis, think he has something to offer

and a signing today 😅 - would be amazing!

See bold

I think the drop off in intensity, fitness and motivation from other teams and players after the lock down helped our defense quite a bit.

Not saying we didn't also improve our performances but I would not rely on this current group being as solid once the new season starts and our opponents have something to play for again.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Agreed you would be pissed off - but you wouldn't pull out of the deal totally ????

Plus - I ve not heard anything substantial leaking to the press.

Yeah they'd probably not pull out of signing someone they really want because of it but maybe cancel the meetings till things calm down a bit or something

21 minutes ago, useless said:

I think it's naive to think that we just need to strengthen our attack and we'll go from a team that barely escaped relegation to a team that's comfortably midtable which is the aim for next season.  I'm expecting us to strenghten defence, midfield and attack.

I see it like this and I said it alot last season.

If our team is weak up front, we can not hold the ball, intercept the ball and our defence gets bombarded and stressed out where mistakes happen, they will eventually let goals in our defence will. Making the frontline priority and bringing in one or two midfielders as well should lift the pressure our defence and keeper was facing before lockdown. Look at how much our midfield improved after lockdown suggest that what I'm saying is right, our defence seen alot less of the ball and from memory I do not recall a game after lockdown where we was bombarded and backed up in defence for 50+ to 70 mins. I dont think bombardment for massive periods happened one bit and that change was due to players in front of our defence making things happen like holding the ball, passing smarter, higher interception rates and moving the ball around better.

So yes I think we need to make frontline a priority and add one or two midfielders as well.

We get that bit right we can always go after a couple of players in January window that would make our defence and keeper situation better.

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. 

A better winger and a goal scorer and we would have won a few more games after lockdown. 

We didn't go ultra defensive, we still created good chances. Our expected goals stats were still ok. 

Our defence now have a season together under their belt and luiz offers so much more protection now he's got up to premier league speed. 

The priority has to be out wide and upfront. 

Additionally to this, the defence wouldn't have looked so bad if the ball stuck up top. The main reason the defence looked so poor was the ball was constantly coming back at them, and even if you have the best back 4 in the league, if you don't keep the ball and protect them a bit then they will conceed goals. More dangerous threats in the attacking areas not only make us more liable to score, it also creates a danger that can push opposition teams backwards, and in turn, allow our defence an easier time. In January for example teams didn't need to keep players back in case we countered because the likes of El Ghazy weren't going to threaten them, and it meant we had to constantly sink deeper.

I actually think the defence would be fine if we added real threats in the attacking areas, and another combative central midfielder who can help alleviate the pressure like Luiz did during the restart.

• Like 3