Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

30 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Look at this @Delphinho123 is the only one talking sense what has the world come to. Hourihane has to start every game for us. Hourihane is an end of the bench player for most PL clubs but we need him to start. 

And whilst I don't agree with him on el ghazi who I think would be much better in a team with off the ball movement the others he mentioned are not up to snuff and we should invest in cheap young players who can be good as a backup whilst improving in the future as well.

We need at least 2 starting wingers, a striker (given wesley is out until at least October), another midfielder (probably 2 if we want to swap grealish to wing or back to the middle throughout the season, an experienced cb on a free, and a left back. That is at least 6 players we need and whilst we can get some of them for cheap we will still probably be lacking depth. Unless we sign 3 or 4 more cheap backups. 

Jack won’t be here.

I agree with most of the players you’re talking about signing, but I don’t really think there would be much money left to sign these cheap backups. Not players that are actually going to be any good anyway.

Striker £30-40m

Winger £30m

Winger £30m

Midfielder £20-30m

Midfielder £20-30m

Experienced CB £0-15m

(And.. Grealish replacement £30-40m)

That would probably cost somewhere between £160m-205m. I can’t see us then spending more than that to bring in 3-4 ‘cheap’ options, unless we’re literally going to bring in a few free transfers or a £6m ‘James Justin’ type. But even then, we’d probably need to hope that we get some of the A Targets at the cheaper end of the scale.

I’d love for us to bring in 5-6 first teamers and 3-4 backups to knock the Taylors/Elmos/Hourihanes off the bench, but I just think that’s too much too soon.

For a second season in the Prem, something like the below team would be fine:

Heaton

Guilbert, Mings, Experienced CB, Targett

Luiz, McGinn, New £20-30 CM

£30m Winger, £40m Striker, £30m Winger

Bench: Steer, Elmo, Konsa, Engels, New £20-30m CM, Hourihane, Trez, Samatta, Wesley

The remaining squad players could then be used as back-ups to the bench players: Nyland, Taylor, Hause, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Davis

(Plus - the Jack replacement could rotate with the new wingers).

Edit: On recent form, I’d actually be up for Mings & Konsa being our first choice CB partnership next season. Many wanted us to bring in Tuanzebe to partner Mings, but I actually think Konsa is becoming a better player than Axel - and isn’t made of glass like him!

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

There’s nothing wrong with signing 10+ players if they’re good enough.

Just because we messed it up last time doesn’t mean it isn’t a good approach if that’s how many players you need for the squad to be more competitive. 

Our scouting needs to be better. If you scout the right players, there shouldn’t be a limit on how many you should/can bring in. 

I think I'd only get 3-4 proper signings. I'd invest in a Striker, Winger, possibly a CM. (that's without having some of our players out). I'd look at a CB, and another wingers on loan. A young potential FB as a cheap signing. That's for our needs. I won't be against getting a player if we found a chance to get him because of the economy situation and can get gems with cheap prices even if we just bought them and loan them. If for example we sold Trez, we'll need a replacement. I think we'll need two wingers anyway (one which we invest hugely in, the other on loan or so, if we still have Grealish then we could still have a good choice in him).

57 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Jack won’t be here.

I agree with most of the players you’re talking about signing, but I don’t really think there would be much money left to sign these cheap backups. Not players that are actually going to be any good anyway.

Striker £30-40m

Winger £30m

Winger £30m

Midfielder £20-30m

Midfielder £20-30m

Experienced CB £0-15m

(And.. Grealish replacement £30-40m)

That would probably cost somewhere between £160m-205m. I can’t see us then spending more than that to bring in 3-4 ‘cheap’ options, unless we’re literally going to bring in a few free transfers or a £6m ‘James Justin’ type. But even then, we’d probably need to hope that we get some of the A Targets at the cheaper end of the scale.

I’d love for us to bring in 5-6 first teamers and 3-4 backups to knock the Taylors/Elmos/Hourihanes off the bench, but I just think that’s too much too soon.

For a second season in the Prem, something like the below team would be fine:

Heaton

Guilbert, Mings, Experienced CB, Targett

Luiz, McGinn, New £20-30 CM

£30m Winger, £40m Striker, £30m Winger

Bench: Steer, Elmo, Konsa, Engels, New £20-30m CM, Hourihane, Trez, Samatta, Wesley

The remaining squad players could then be used as back-ups to the bench players: Nyland, Taylor, Hause, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Davis

(Plus - the Jack replacement could rotate with the new wingers).

Edit: On recent form, I’d actually be up for Mings & Konsa being our first choice CB partnership next season. Many wanted us to bring in Tuanzebe to partner Mings, but I actually think Konsa is becoming a better player than Axel - and isn’t made of glass like him!

Whilst I don’t think there’s a chance we will spend anywhere near that much just reading this shows how crucial staying up is

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

we've actually got a squad now, we don't need to worry about signing 10 playets, we need 3 or 4 top quality signings this time round , not squad players, first team ready to go starters, hopefully the board recognize this.

That was the problem we had after we stayed up under Lambert in 12/13. We already had an average squad but one that had plenty of numbers. Culled likes of Holman, Lichaj and El-Amadi that summer and then replaced them with even worse players (Tonev, Bacuna, Helenius, Luna)

Of course the budget we have now is world away from summer 2013 but we need to stop falling into the trap thinking we have to try to improve every single position in one window which is near impossible and just creates more squad issues.

Sign 3-4 proven international standard players to weed out the average players we have starting and that will help the existing good players we have in 11 e.g. Luiz would come on further with an experienced DM behind him imo.

Edit: Think I said last summer I'd love to sign someone like Luca Milivojevic. Can take a free kick or penalty like Hourihane but a vastly better defensive midfielder. Palace should be a team we're looking to finish above if we stay up so would be good to deprive them of a key player and they'd rather sell him than Zaha.

Taking Hourihane out and having him alongside Luiz and McGinn in midfield is how we improve our first 11 towards top half standard imo. Just seen he signed a new 4 year deal last summer so that probably rules him out.

Edited by VillaChris

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s absolutely crazy how our entire summer depends on tomorrow.

Stay up and we will be able to really invest in the quality the team needs to kick on and try and avoid relegation fears next season.

Go down and it becomes about who goes and for how much and how we re build.

No point any speculation about targets until we know our fate but targets for both outcomes will already be in place.

Monumental day ahead of us tomorrow, let’s hope that come Monday we are taking about building rather than rebuilding.

Very true but it’s also been true the last three seasons. We seem to love drawing ourself into these final day show downs. 

Having a first eleven of superstars is of course what everyone wants, but look at most sides outside top 7/8 and they have 3 or 4 good to great players maximum.

Having a known and consistent playing structure and style with a few good players can’t be underestimated. 

For us, Heaton, Mings, McGinn, Luiz, Grealish (hope so), new striker, new winger would be more than enough for us to progress. 

We’ve tightened up under Smith now and have a platform to grow from. 

That said, go down and we risk losing it all  

• Like 2

The squad needs pace, depth and studding with quality. We stay up and we can do that. Our owners can flex their financial muscles too as FFP is clearly a farce.

We need to scoop up the best youth, or the best we can get. Replace the likes of Nakamba, El Ghazi and Hourihane with genuine quality starting players. 2 credible players for every position and kids knocking on the door.

• Thanks 1

On 24/07/2020 at 14:15, useless said:

Domagoj Vida is a Croatian footballer who plays as a defender for Turkish club Beşiktaş and the Croatia national team. He is capable of playing in any defensive position but is mostly deployed as a centre-back or right full-back. His father Rudika is a former football player. Was linked last summer, and now Beşiktaş being linked with Trezeguet, maybe we could work out a swap.

We were strongly linked with Vida in the summer and Christian Luyindama. Would love either, but Vida is 31y.o. Luyindama would give Mings a run for cult hero status, but I reckon him and Mings have their fair share of mistakes in them. Sign Luyindama and I reckon we play 3 at the back: Konsa, Luyindama, Mings

Edited by thunderball
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Stay up and we will be able to really invest in the quality the team needs to kick on and try and avoid relegation fears next season.

No point any speculation about targets until we know our fate but targets for both outcomes will already be in place.

Monumental day ahead of us tomorrow, let’s hope that come Monday we are taking about building rather than rebuilding.

This. Absolutely.

We could be getting excited about Joe Lolley on Monday.

6 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

I’m trying to hold off thinking about how we might possibly bring, or who might leave until after tomorrow’s game. It’s difficult though!

Where is the game tomorrow being shown, Sky or BT Sports?

This.

Until we know what league we will be in next season, it's impossible to try and think what and who will be needed.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Bang on Trent. Only just seen this post now after responding.

4pm tomorrow can't come quick enough.