Relegation thread

Knutserov13

3 wins, 3 draws, 3 loss puts us on 38 points which I think will be enough and is doable from the games remaining. Only game I don’t expect we have a chance of getting anything from is Liverpool. 

Just now, Tony said:

Only game I don’t expect we have a chance of getting anything from is Liverpool. 

They will want to finish with as many points as possible. Breaking records.

People that think Liverpool will down tools just because they are champions i think will be miserably wrong.

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

3 wins, 3 draws, 3 loss puts us on 38 points which I think will be enough and is doable from the games remaining. Only game I don’t expect we have a chance of getting anything from is Liverpool. 

I think you are right that 38 points will be enough to survive however i'm struggling to see where the 3 wins are coming from in the remaining fixtures.

Chelsea H 

Newcastle A 

Wolves H 

Liverpool A 

Man Utd H 

Crystal Palace H 

Everton A 

Arsenal H

West Ham A

Maybe, Newcastle, Palace and West Ham??

In my opinion we just do not have enough quality in the team and the squad is lightweight.

With the exception of Newcastle and West Ham every team we have to play has more quality and strength in depth than we have.

If we do not get anything from the next 2 games confidence will be knocked back to where it was prior to the halt.

I'm afraid to say i think we have had it and it's back to the Championship next season. I hope i'm wrong but i just can't see where the wins are coming from.

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I think you are right that 38 points will be enough to survive however i'm struggling to see where the 3 wins are coming from in the remaining fixtures.

Chelsea H 

Newcastle A 

Wolves H 

Liverpool A 

Man Utd H 

Crystal Palace H 

Everton A 

Arsenal H

West Ham A

Maybe, Newcastle, Palace and West Ham??

In my opinion we just do not have enough quality in the team and the squad is lightweight.

With the exception of Newcastle and West Ham every team we have to play has more quality and strength in depth than we have.

If we do not get anything from the next 2 games confidence will be knocked back to where it was prior to the halt.

I'm afraid to say i think we have had it and it's back to the Championship next season. I hope i'm wrong but i just can't see where the wins are coming from.

I’f palace is a winnable game then why aren’t Arsenal and Everton ? Giving more respect to the name rather than their current states. Everton are sat in 12th place. 

Either way I think it’s doable rather being something which is a certainty. We would obviously have to improve. 

• Like 2

I was thinking literally every other team has had results that appear to fall out of the sky (Brighton must have been 3/4-1 before the arsenal game) apart from us. That has GOT to change just with the law of averages. Starting today hopefully! Every other team has also had a good run at some point. You could argue though that ours was at the start of the season when we caught teams cold but just got f all points for it. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I’f palace is a winnable game then why aren’t Arsenal and Everton ? Giving more respect to the name rather than their current states. Everton are sat in 12th place. 

Either way I think it’s doable rather being something which is a certainty. We would obviously have to improve. 

i'd rather play arsenal any day of the week over palace

• Like 2

If you could predict results based on which teams have the most quality and depth then it would be very easy to predict and you could make a lot of money. Our rivals manage to get results against the better teams and a part of that is probably because they're not defeated before a ball has even been kicked, and we have to be the same. In theory we should be capable of getting results from all our fixtures, sometimes the opposition gets talked up too much, Liverpool and Man City are the only standout teams, the rest are average that anyone can beat on a good day.

Arsenal could be the one that saves us. Last but one game of the season, they’ll have nothing to play for. Likely to be more youth playing as Arteta will be shipping out the older players in the summer. 
We just need to make sure we’re getting points on the board before then 

• Like 1

weekend results - brighton win - gpa increases by 2 points on us after our point, no change with watford, but west ham and bournemouth both lost so a reasonable weekend, but Brighton definitely have a bit of breathing space. If we weren't in competition with them to stay up, I'd be quite pleased for Graham Potter. 

A win v newcastle on wednesday is so key for us really, as in all likelihood we will lose today. 

27 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Arsenal could be the one that saves us. Last but one game of the season, they’ll have nothing to play for. Likely to be more youth playing as Arteta will be shipping out the older players in the summer. 

If we can't beat this Arsenal team we will never beat them

Arsenal are a capable team, they could easily pick up form by the time we play them, in fact they're the kind of team that having nothing to play for and no pressure would probably suit. I wouldn't be relyng on us getting anything from that game, people overhype Wolves and Sheffield United but then play down Arsenal, there's not much between the sides. The truth is I don't think we can pick and choose which matches we can win and can't win, as most of the teams we have left to play are much of a muchness, all of them are better than us, but given the right circumstances we're capable of beating all of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Agree

Maybe a bit on the quiet Palace are a good team, not packed with superstars but everyone pulling their weight and maybe a dark horse for Europe if results go their way

On paper arsenal and Everton will be easier games, expectation that they won't have their heads in it 

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

What? You know each game on the fixture list actually has to be played, you can’t just go through the list and say “right we’re down”.

Have a look at every relegation run-in ever - it won’t follow the form book. There will be surprises. Previously solid teams will crash and burn, while lost causes will suddenly find form.

We’re still in with a decent chance of staying up, and, crucially, it’s still in our hands.

I thought I could go through the fixture list and give my own opinion on whether or not I think we'll get enough points to stay up.

Crazy.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Also, did we not just outplay the team everyone’s been raving about all season? Why all the doom and gloom? I’m much more optimistic about our season now than I was pre-lockdown.

I don't think anyone has been raving about Sheff Utd this season, in the context of fla mboyant expansive football, like Man City.

What they have referenced, is their ability to secure points in a very difficult league and going from Div 1 through to the Prem with most of the same players is remarkable.

There is much to be admired about them, even if it can be a tad mundane at times....The defense is an integral part of the game, we as fans would di well to embrace it and appreciate the finer arts of it.

I guess, they will be working on the spectacle, when they feel the time is right.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think anyone has been raving about Sheff Utd this season, in the context of fla mboyant expansive football, like Man City.

What they have referenced, is their ability to secure points in a very difficult league and going from Div 1 through to the Prem with most of the same players is remarkable.

There is much to be admired about them, even if it can be a tad mundane at times....The defense is an integral part of the game, we as fans would di well to embrace it and appreciate the finer arts of it.

I guess, they will be working on the spectacle, when they feel the time is right.

Wednesday was one of the few times Sheffield United actually looked like a side who finished 2nd in the Championship.

We really did make them look like a limited side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Reminds me of the 90s when I think we played Liverpool in the final home game and they barely lifted a leg and it was an easy 2-0. Arsenal have only won 2 away games all season and one was on the opening day v Newcastle.

Classic example of we need to play what's on the pitch rather than get scared by the reputation of their forwards.

• Like 1