Relegation thread

Knutserov13

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We still have a tough game and need to get something. I just want the football gods to shine down on us and get watford and bournmouth 2/3 goals down at half time so we can all relax.

That would be nice. I think there will definitely be a moment when the table is flashed up and we're looking like going down, only for it to change shortly after (or not!) It won't be pleasant.

we need to win. I'm going to be at my family house, the first weekend of meeting up with an extended household, and after 4 months away I'm going to still be distracted by football on sunday :D 

I can't bear to follow. I mean, we have momentum and are playing well, but the moment we start to think we've done the hard work, we're toast. To lose it now, would be such a gut punch

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

Arteta wont want to go into the final on 2 defeats so I think he will have them up for it 

This is what I think too. He's the protégé of Pep Guardiola and will want to set a winning mentality. Also, they have lots of starting places up for grabs so players will want to impress him to get into the team for the final. 

Bournemouth might get a win at Everton but Ancelotti is another with a winning mentality so will want his side to perform to the very end. 

Villa have to go to West Ham to win the game. There's no hiding place for us as we have the easier game without any doubts. If they want to stay up those Villa players have to win that game. 

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The beauty of last night is that we've put ourselves in a position, where if we are shit on the final day we can still survive. Which was pretty much unthinkable before lockdown. 

We still have a tough game and need to get something. I just want the football gods to shine down on us and get watford and bournmouth 2/3 goals down at half time so we can all relax.

Yep.

The best I was really hoping for a week ago was that we could go into the final day knowing that a win against West Ham would put us level on points with Watford and then we had to hope they lost their remaining games.

To already be level with them is better than I could have hoped for.

We've given ourselves a great chance

• Like 2

I do think we can get a result at West Ham so it is a luxury to know that we can have fate in our own hands again. I didn’t think it would be the case 3 weeks ago. 

Edited by The_Steve

Someone needs to arrange a massive ‘staying up’ party for the West Ham players on Friday Night In London. Maybe encourage some high-injury-risk drinking games as part of it. Treat it like a proper season wrap up - awards, videos to remind them of their upcoming holidays...the lot 😅

Surely someone at Villa has connections to make this happen!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Any team worth their salt would want to avoid finishing the season by losing to two bottom three teams in a row.

I also think currently Watford look a lot worse than us.

I'm more worried about us losing and Bournemouth beating Everton, than Watford to be honest.

Exactly the way i see it.  Bournemouth are the risk.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Did exactly the same thing but I had a bit more consideration for the neighbours!  I bet a few of us collapsed in a heap on the floor when Davis missed that chance as well.

My loudest exclamation of the night was definitely when Davis' chance slowly crept the wrong side of the post.

• Like 1

Who would have thought, even a week ago that we would be in this position? I had resigned myself to the thought that we would be in the championship next season. Now.... it is totally in our hands. On paper, we have the easiest game of the three relegation candidates, and despite the results, we have looked a lot better since lockdown - we can do this, we can stay up and push on from there. Can't wait till Sunday, but will probably be feeling sick from 4pm onwards until it is all done and dusted. 

2 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Actually if they lose 7-0 we’d only need to win 3-0 would we due to the swing?

For us to swing the GD against them yes, but not Watford too in order to relegate West Ham.

It’s totally unrealistic, especially since they are playing well, but actually the more goals Man Utd can win by tonight, the more they can lose by to Leicester on the last day and still get 4th. If Man Utd beat West Ham by 5 (or 6) goals then they can lose to Leicester by 2, for example. I’d imagine this is what they would be aiming for, depending on how the game starts out. They will be at least aiming for a 3 goal win, which would allow them to lose against Leicester by 1 goal.

8 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Someone needs to arrange a massive ‘staying up’ party for the West Ham players on Friday Night In London. Maybe encourage some high-injury-risk drinking games as part of it. Treat it like a proper season wrap up - awards, videos to remind them of their upcoming holidays...the lot 😅

Surely someone at Villa has connections to make this happen!

Mate, Pepe Reina is part of the squad.

Wherever the party is, it's gonna be a banger

"Soy Capitan Soy Capitan

BAMBA, BAMBA....

BAMBA BAMBA!!"

I'm a little worried to how Bournemouth fit into this relegation scrap, they are always capable of a shock win. That said I think Everton are strong at home...

Watford are in disarray and can't see them winning.

Hopefully we can stay up now!

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

At least with Bournemouth we know that no matter what they do, a point is enough for us to put us out of reach.

The thing that worries me now is our tendency to sit back and try to cling on, we often invite more and more pressure onto ourselves. We didn't do that last night though.