Generic Virus Thread

villakram

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Have you any evidence that decisions in Italy being made on the basis of age are officially about 'importance to society' rather than one part of a clinical assessment of treatment priorities? There may well be such evidence but might it also be that you're reading something in to it which isn't there?

Sure, some people may well find themselves in medical situations that are dissimilar to the vast majority of the population, i.e. I doubt those kinds of people to whom you refer are going to be rocking up at A&E and looking to be placed in the converted OR, on the whole.

There are some really quite bizarre leaps here. You appear to have decided upon a (potential though likely) problem - that simple clinical assessment won't be sufficient to properly distribute the available resources - and thought that they then absolutely must find a further way of restricting those resources, taken what may happen to a very small section of the population (i.e. VVIPs) and jumped to the idea that this is what is or would happen across the board in the public health service.

That sounds like it's going well beyond "clinical assessment of treatment priorities", no? The concept of "officially" has gone out the window - these doctors have to make judgment calls on the fly. You're focusing too much on one phrase in my post, and not the broader theme about how triage will force very tough ethical decisions on doctors, which will go beyond treatment priorities.

I meant "importance to society" very broadly - it could be whether they are of working age, whether they have children, etc. There's no doubt that these kinds of decisions are being forced on doctors in Italy already. Maybe I shouldn't have brought in the VVIP point, although yes it is relevant - the ones I mentioned all receive state-funded healthcare.

Edited by KentVillan

Around xmas time the place i work at had an outbreak of flu, it passed around most of us that work together and lasted at least two weeks and seemed to come and go. We thought we was passing it back and forth amongst ourselves. I had it and it was the worst case of flu i had ever had and led to a lung infection that eventually went after 2 weeks.

I have a strong suspicion that the outbreak started well before the hype did at least in my area. 

As a side note we have Chinese contractors who have been working on site for 6 months and are from the Wuhan area........

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

That sounds like it's going well beyond "clinical assessment of treatment priorities", no? The concept of "officially" has gone out the window - these doctors have to make judgment calls on the fly.

Perhaps but I don't think so.  Clinical assessment of treatment priorities doesn't mean (or have to mean) a detailed assessment, analysis and comparison of each individual patient against each other. A swingeing and crass assessment that those over a particular age AND those below that age with comorbidities are going to be the ones who are not prioritised (in favour of those who are younger and without those comorbidities) is some kind of clinical assessment, i.e. it's a choice about resources based upon a likelihood of recovery (with those relevant resources).

I think it's a leap to be saying that the decision is based upon other reasons as you did. Even if it were so, It doesn't necessarily follow that it will or does happen here.

You're focusing too much on one phrase in my post, and not the broader theme about how triage will force very tough ethical decisions on doctors, which will go beyond treatment priorities.

No, I'm focussing on the assumption(s) you have made and I'm questioning it/them.

I meant "importance to society" very broadly - it could be whether they are of working age, whether they have children, etc.

Again. You're making leaps here that are really quite profound and which wouldn't appear to be justified by one tweet (which I also read earlier when the link was either posted here or in someone else's twitter feed) or even a series of similar anecdotes.

I think we should leave it there as we're just going round in circles.

E3, traditionally the premier gaming convention where the entire industry descends on LA for a week, cancelled.

This is less of a big deal than it first appears as the event was dying on its arse anyway but looks like its cancelled, which might just do it in entirely.

Seem some articles that North Korea has confirmed 180 dead soldiers and 3700 quarantined. No numbers on regular citizens and the article disappeared. So might be fake.

Also some noise coming out of China that the Wuhan recovery is a hoax and that the  Xi Jinping visit was simply a publicity stunt.

According to "the internet" people are heard shouting from the windows "it's fake, it's fake" I have no idea since I don't speak the language and there are certainly regime critics who would want to spread false information so huge pinch of salt. Don't think there is any doubt that they are running plants and factories on empty just to give the illusion of production going on thou.

It would be pretty fantastic if they actually have managed to stop the spread and contain it. Can't see that myself sadly. 

7 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Man City Arsenal has now been called off.

27 minutes ago, snowychap said:

BoE cuts interest rates back down to 0.25%.

24 minutes ago, Chindie said:

E3, traditionally the premier gaming convention where the entire industry descends on LA for a week, cancelled.

This is less of a big deal than it first appears as the event was dying on its arse anyway but looks like its cancelled, which might just do it in entirely.

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Also New Street this morning was obscenely quiet for a Wednesday morning.

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Seem some articles that North Korea has confirmed 180 dead soldiers and 3700 quarantined. No numbers on regular citizens and the article disappeared. So might be fake.

Also some noise coming out of China that the Wuhan recovery is a hoax and that the  Xi Jinping visit was simply a publicity stunt.

According to "the internet" people are heard shouting from the windows "it's fake, it's fake" I have no idea since I don't speak the language and there are certainly regime critics who would want to spread false information so huge pinch of salt. Don't think there is any doubt that they are running plants and factories on empty just to give the illusion of production going on thou.

It would be pretty fantastic if they actually have managed to stop the spread and contain it. Can't see that myself sadly. 

the mueller report see GIF

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

the mueller report see GIF

The guy in charge of this in Sweden had been dubbed Corona Bob after this lovely chap

Bildresultat för bagdad bob

He's also been sent to Somalia ( I kid you not) for some reason that is 100% damage control.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, sne said:

Given the history wont be at all surprise by this. "Rumours" has it Xi wasnt even at Wuhan yesterday even though this was widely reported at state news.

Was reading an article re their mortality rate as well, they only include the numbers coming from death rate at hospital, and any deaths at home self quarantined process were not included. Hence why mortality rate doesn't quite correlate to numbers of cremation within Wuhan.

• Like 1

Just now, kwoktolai said:

Given the history wont be at all surprise by this. "Rumours" has it Xi wasnt even at Wuhan yesterday even though this was widely reported at state news.

Was reading an article re their mortality rate as well, they only include the numbers coming from death rate at hospital, and any deaths at home self quarantined process were not included. Hence why mortality rate doesn't quite correlate to numbers of cremation within Wuhan.

That sadly would be my guess at what is happening.

I see some cafes are stopping using cups because of this. I suppose its only a matter of time before the pubs have to stop selling pints. 

The pub industry will be up in arms if this happens 

@Risso

how you getting on with the home-brew hand gel? 

I’ve made some today using isopropanol and pure Aloe Gel, but I’m not sure it’s worked properly

The Aloe Gel hasn’t really mixed in very well and now it looks like bits of spunk floating about in the alcohol!! 

I mean it probably still does the job, but not sure if I’m doing something wrong!? 

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Do we think it’s likely?  Similar situation for me

I don't think anyone really knows really. We haven't seen anything like this in the modern era (the last 'proper' pandemic being 1918).

The rates can't really get any lower so the central banks are running out of road to deal with economic shocks, so if we see issues on the level of 2008 I think we're looking at best at recession and at worst depression. In that case, the rates won't matter too much as people might not have jobs to pay mortgages in any case.

I was just trying to lighten the mood that if I still have a job in January my mortgage will at least be cheaper!

Â