Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Why are people on here so paranoid with the death figure. Chill out guys, as horrible as it is, no one in there right mind is gonna get through this dwelling on the amount of deaths every day of the week. "Is it this many, is it that many, maybe they have missed 1000s", etc. We are into our 4 week of lockdown, let's start talking a bit more positive. To me (trying to stay positve) it looks to be levelling off, to a few are here it's trying to find more deaths to justify how terrible it all is. I dont mind the figure for the day, but looking to justify how wrong it must be every day is not good for our wellbeing surely.

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think that's right . . . I was looking earlier, but couldn't find it, but I recently saw a graph with 2019 and 2020 mortality in NY state mapped against each other, and January and February tracked each other very closely, but March 2020 was a bloody enormous uptick. I don't think it's hard to see all these people dying in the data.

you can't just compare 1 year can you, It isn't a complete like for like, It can & does vary by hundreds/thousands every year

The uk march 2020 total is more than march 2019, but is hundreds less than the 5 year average

Edited by LakotaDakota

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That was exactly my argument when I skittled that old lady off the zebra crossing.

I wasn't trying to be flippant. Every life is important. I lost a very good friend in February who was 59, had COPD, but died of Pneumonia. Who knows whether he had coronavirus. Then another three people who are neighbours died at the beginning of the year. My point was that people die all the time and who knows how many would have died from their condition anyway in the next month or so. This is very serious but a lot of cases are being reported as death by covid-19, which maybe hastened it but would otherwise been reported as heart attack, copd, pneumonia. 

Edited by PaulC

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I wasn't trying to be flippant. Every life is important. I lost a very good friend in February who was 59, had COPD, but died of Pneumonia. Who knows whether he had coronavirus. Then another three people who are neighbours died at the beginning of the year. My point was that people die all the time and who knows how many would have died from their condition anyway in the next month or so. This is very serious but a lot of cases are being reported as death by covid-19, which maybe hastened it but would otherwise been reported as heart attack, copd, pneumonia. 

I’m struggling to understand your point.

Are you saying that if someone already had a condition that could kill them then we needn’t bother trying to protect the community?

What sort of timeline would you put on it? Estimated to die within 12 months anyway, don’t bother protecting them.

Personally, if I had another 2 months to enjoy with my kids and watch some more Killing Eve, I’d like to take the option on that.

• Like 2

The questions make my blood boil.

LK: When can restrictions be lifted, 3 weeks or 3 months?

DR: Well we don’t know, it’s dangerous to predict how it will go. We can’t say yet.

LK: But why won’t you tell people when restrictions will be lifted?

**** OFF

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't know what the point is of this graph they keep showing with regard deaths in comparison to other countries as when comparing UK with France is showing a false picture as France includes deaths in care homes. Apparently if France was only showing deaths in hospital they would be over a thousand deaths behind us.

Agree, its pointless to compare to any other country as everyone is doing things slightly differently. France are adding care home deaths, Germany have rumoured to be not putting cv19 as cause of death where possible (not sure how true that is). Add in different population densities and it ends up being like comparing apples to oranges. 

Is there any need for these daily briefings/questions now?

Release the completely pointless daily figures that may or may not be somewhere within a million of the actual numbers, nobody knows. Do the briefings once/twice per week on a monday & thursday or something and only allow the press to ask questions after one of them.

There is not enough to talk about every 24 hours, the exit plans will be worked on & changing constantly. When they have fixed information they will announce it at one of the briefings anyway, not just throw it in as an answer to a random question & The journalists still don't seem to have grasped that everyone can see/hear the responses to their questions so they should probably ask something different than the people before have asked. This is fine when they are just doing their own interviews for their own tv stations/papers etc but not now & they haven't changed. If the person before you has just asked the exact same question either ask something else or say you were going to ask the same thing and this has now been answered...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Theres a case to be said that a lot of people who have  being included in the coronavirus figures for fatalities would have died anyway from one of their underlying health issues.  100 thousand people die annually in England in care homes. 

Because of the issues around establishing whether or not a death is attributed to covid19 or not, I would argue that it becomes more important to track the all-cause mortality totals. 

The last weekly totals released by the ONS showed 6,082 more deaths in the week ending 3rd April (or week 14) than in the corresponding week based on the 5 year average

Here

So while it is difficult to analyse cause specific mortality you can't get away from the reality that loads more people are dead. (Than we would expect to see) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m struggling to understand your point.

Are you saying that if someone already had a condition that could kill them then we needn’t bother trying to protect the community?

What sort of timeline would you put on it? Estimated to die within 12 months anyway, don’t bother protecting them.

Personally, if I had another 2 months to enjoy with my kids and watch some more Killing Eve, I’d like to take the option on that.

Not saying that at all. I am just stating that you might find a reduction in cases of deaths by heart attacks and Pneumonia in the coming months because they have been reported as deaths by covid 19. 

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

Because of the issues around establishing whether or not a death is attributed to covid19 or not, I would argue that it becomes more important to track the all-cause mortality totals. 

The last weekly totals released by the ONS showed 6,082 more deaths in the week ending 3rd April (or week 14) than in the corresponding week based on the 5 year average

Here

So while it is difficult to analyse cause specific mortality you can't get away from the reality that loads more people are dead. (Than we would expect to see) 

100% agree

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

DR: Well we don’t know, it’s dangerous to predict how it will go. We can’t say yet.

**** OFF

Infuriating. I was literally shouting “NO HE CANT TELL YOU WHEN IT WILL BE LIFTED”

words removed. Ask some proper **** questions. The questions from outlets you’ve never heard of put the BBC and Sky News to shame in these press conferences. 

I realise Raab and co are holding their cards close to their chest as to when this might end, but they’ve made it very clear they aren’t going to tell us. So why keep asking the same question?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Infuriating. I was literally shouting “NO HE CANT TELL YOU WHEN IT WILL BE LIFTED”

words removed. Ask some proper **** questions. The questions from outlets you’ve never heard of put the BBC and Sky News to shame in these press conferences. 

I realise Raab and co are holding their cards close to their chest as to when this might end, but they’ve made it very clear they aren’t going to tell us. So why keep asking the same question?

I’ve never sent a tweet in my life but do have a Twitter account, I’m tempted to log in to just to send her some abuse.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The discussion around people who “might have died anyway” is really pissing me off. 

Im sure if it was your 75 year old mother who was dying now instead of in 5 years time you’d be a bit more bothered. 

People are dehumanising them as if they don’t matter. 

Quite, that's probably why some of us felt compelled to reply...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The discussion around people who “might have died anyway” is really pissing me off. 

Im sure if it was your 75 year old mother who was dying now instead of in 5 years time you’d be a bit more bothered. 

People are dehumanising them as if they don’t matter. 

Is dying now instead of dying in 5 years time being considered in the ‘might have died anyway’ discussion?

My much loved step-dad died last April. He had occupational asbestosis and died of heart failure because of his constant struggle to absorb enough oxygen. If he’d died this week and also had a symptom(s) of COVID-19, I wonder if his death would have been attributed to Corona virus and whether it should.

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

**** OFF

Bloody Lorraine Kelly should just stick to daytime chat show hosting, stop asking dumb **** questions, and leave the hard hitting questions to proper journalists such as Laura Kuensb....oh, wait! 

Today’s most stupid question paraphrased: Everyone else is speculating about the lockdown and dates, why don’t the Government join the speculation?

Surely it’s pointless any Government adding to speculation that can only be based on too many currently unknown variables?

• Like 3

Â