Generic Virus Thread

villakram

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Thank for the offer but I’m familiar with the situation.

Currently TUI are only offering free amendments on holidays up to end of June. So my options are either not to pay the remaining £1600 and lose my £800 deposit. Or pay the balance and wait and see if/when July holidays get cancelled I request a refund (which they don’t want to do but law says they have to) or transfer it to something else.

I was off to Dubai with Emirates. They have been great. I either apply for a refund, which admittedly may take a while, or they will send me a voucher to fly anytime in the next 24 months.

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've got a horrible feeling that the American approach will be lead by hedge fund managers, not scientists or economists. Trump's "open everything by Easter" speech was a direct result of a meeting he'd had that day with managers of some of the worlds biggest funds - they'll be putting some pressure on him to open up asap - they're the people he listens to.

America is a federal country, so decisions on stay-at-home orders and business opening restrictions come from state governors, not the president. His preference for inaction and a desire for a return to normalcy is certainly going to be an obstacle for instituting radical plans involving an equivalent of a wartime mobilisation though, yes.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s important that the exit strategy begins soon.

Everyone 50 and over was an integral part of our victory in World War II and needs to be able to organise a booze up. Everyone under the age of 50 couldn’t possibly go an entire month without a shitty fast food burger.

Let’s get Covid done.

Not quite 50 yet, unsure where I should stand. 

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I was off to Dubai with Emirates. They have been great. I either apply for a refund, which admittedly may take a while, or they will send me a voucher to fly anytime in the next 24 months.

This is the annoying thing, it’s naughty of them to take my money if they now it’s unlikely the holiday will go ahead. They should push the due date for the balance back a few weeks.

• Like 1

I'm in a pickle. Got my stag doo at the end of July in Benidorm. My fianceě has hers in Ibiza end of August and our wedding is middle of September in the UK. 

I personally think none of it will happen and we should already be discussing with the venue to postpone until June 2021 (earliest). 

The stag do (build up) is all part of it for me but I'd say its 99.9% not happening, anyone think there's any possible chance whatsoever?

By the way, this is totally a minuscule worry to what is going on in the world right now and I pray for everyone to stay safe and well in these extremely worrying times 😔

9 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'm in a pickle. Got my stag doo at the end of July in Benidorm. My fianceě has hers in Ibiza end of August and our wedding is middle of September in the UK. 

I personally think none of it will happen and we should already be discussing with the venue to postpone until June 2021 (earliest). 

The stag do (build up) is all part of it for me but I'd say its 99.9% not happening, anyone think there's any possible chance whatsoever?

By the way, this is totally a minuscule worry to what is going on in the world right now and I pray for everyone to stay safe and well in these extremely worrying times 😔

Same, I’ve got my stag do (not particularly bothered about given the current situation) in Berlin in June that we’re arranging a one day backup for in the UK at the end of August, but my wedding is mid September in Krakow. Not close to postponing that yet but it sounds like I’ll get pelters on here reading the last few pages.For what it’s worth only some close family have booked flights and I’ve told some friends to definitely not back now if they haven’t already.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Same, I’ve got my stag do (not particularly bothered about given the current situation) in Berlin in June that we’re arranging a one day backup for in the UK at the end of August, but my wedding is mid September in Krakow. Not close to postponing that yet but it sounds like I’ll get pelters on here reading the last few pages.For what it’s worth only some close family have booked flights and I’ve told some friends to definitely not back now if they haven’t already.

September is tough to call as it might be during a phase of "business sort of as normal" where you can carry on, but the problem is that decisions are only being made so many weeks in advance. My wedding is obviously off next month, but trying to speak with some companies - i.e supplying the band etc, they won't confirm it or accept force majeure until govt. decisions confirm it so. If we're doing it 3 weeks at a time, I can't start organising refunds or re-scheduling until the week before the date it's supposed to be happening, which is a pain. 

We've provisionally re-arranged for June 2021, but I can't help but think it's going to be still at risk then, but the venue won't let us re-book to 2022  - they still need permission to hold alot of these postponed 2020 events and weddings in that year as they only are allowed a certain amount per year.  Without a vaccine, it's hard to imagine how public gatherings like that really go ahead without either proper testing and measures in place to establish the risk to individuals going. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Not quite 50 yet, unsure where I should stand. 

Do you ever get an urge to paint the meth lab olive green and hang around WWII re enactment societies with felt tip black lines drawn up the backs of your legs?

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Do you ever get an urge to paint the meth lab olive green and hang around WWII re enactment societies with felt tip black lines drawn up the backs of your legs?

Often. I also watch Christmas TOTP and say well this is just noise. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Often. I also watch Christmas TOTP and say well this is just noise. 

Welcome my friend, pick up your complimentary copy of the Mail on your way through to the lounge.

The ladies are in the kitchen doing something or other.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

America is a federal country, so decisions on stay-at-home orders and business opening restrictions come from state governors, not the president. His preference for inaction and a desire for a return to normalcy is certainly going to be an obstacle for instituting radical plans involving an equivalent of a wartime mobilisation though, yes.

They've given or allowed Trump to invoke many emergency powers over the past couple of months. He is quite close to being - legally - a dictator, if he desires right now!

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villakram said:

They've given or allowed Trump to invoke many emergency powers over the past couple of months. He is quite close to being - legally - a dictator, if he desires right now!

Could this push him over the edge and the country allow him to effectively change the constitution? I know there are things in place to stop this sort of thing but these days all bets are off.  

Just now, Seat68 said:

Could this push him over the edge and the country allow him to effectively change the constitution? I know there are things in place to stop this sort of thing but these days all bets are off.  

I don't think he could or would be allowed to do that (there is much other power in the entire government than just legal), but under the right circumstances, he could cancel the congress and the elections. He and the republicans more generally are in love with the imperial presidency idea, hence, some of the logic behind his recent "I decide when the country re-opens" statements.

Now, I don't see any possibility of either of those things happening without the implicit consent of the congress and under a very short leash... but, I can't help but thinking of or gaming out other outcomes.

• Thanks 1

I just don't think Trump has the kind of buy-in from the military/intelligence services/other parts of the 'deep state' that he would need to mount a coup like that. If we look at what actually happens, rather than the darkest possibilities, what we see is people from permanent government positions and the intelligence services *love* briefing against and leaking against him to the media.

Brazil, now that's a country that could well stop being a democracy in the next few months. America, I don't see it.

• Like 1

It might be confirmation bias, but it feels like whenever the number of deaths goes up, they release the figures for the countries separately (i.e 740 in England, 80 in Scotland, 20 in Wales etc)

When it's a drop they release it as a UK figure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It might be confirmation bias, but it feels like whenever the number of deaths goes up, they release the figures for the countries separately (i.e 740 in England, 80 in Scotland, 20 in Wales etc)

When it's a drop they release it as a UK figure.

It's almost as if you can no longer trust the government or media at all.....................

Â