Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

I get the flu jab every year and every covid vaccine offered to me. I have no idea why people wouldn’t - but we live in a strange world.

Also, I had a bad cold maybe 5 weeks ago - almost flu like, but not quite that. I did 2 covid tests which were both negative but I’ve had a cough since. It’s so **** annoying now :D. Missus has it as well. I presume it still could be covid? Anyone else had/heard of such a long-term “cold” recently?

Earlier this year my wife had a cold/cough that went on for blooming weeks. It certainly wasn’t covid but there was a very nasty cold doing the rounds, I know a few people that suffered with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Was a bit ill on Wednesday but feel pretty fine now.  I'm 'ard me.

My dose was pretty mild too. Congested sinus, sorted with nasal spray for 10 hours at a time. Couple of paracetamol for headache 2/3 times. Felt tired for 2-3 days. 

Then it was over.

Are the variants losing their strength, or is there some residual effect from the vaccination? Reports I hear of people having it recently is that it wasn't too bad, in relative terms compared to when I had it a year or so ago, it kicked my arse, I was a mess. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Are the variants losing their strength, or is there some residual effect from the vaccination? Reports I hear of people having it recently is that it wasn't too bad, in relative terms compared to when I had it a year or so ago, it kicked my arse, I was a mess. 

I had it couple weeks ago, and last summer.

In both cases it felt very similar in terms of type of symptoms but the recent one was milder for sure.

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

I get the flu jab every year and every covid vaccine offered to me. I have no idea why people wouldn’t - but we live in a strange world.

Also, I had a bad cold maybe 5 weeks ago - almost flu like, but not quite that. I did 2 covid tests which were both negative but I’ve had a cough since. It’s so **** annoying now :D. Missus has it as well. I presume it still could be covid? Anyone else had/heard of such a long-term “cold” recently?

That's a weird take.

It's not strange at all, people make there own decisions, if they decide not to have them, like myself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and it shouldn't even need justifying.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

That's a weird take.

It's not strange at all, people make there own decisions, if they decide not to have them, like myself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and it shouldn't even need justifying.

Agreed but also being judged by others for taking that decision is also reasonable.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Agreed but also being judged by others for taking that decision is also reasonable.

Not really, you can have a opinion, but you shouldn't judge.

I have an opinion on people having all these vaccines, but I wouldn't judge them, they can do as they please.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not really, you can have a opinion, but you shouldn't judge.

I have an opinion on people having all these vaccines, but I wouldn't judge them, they can do as they please.

Certainly can judge when your decision can impact others even at little more than marginal impact.  Something that impacts only you we can only have opinion on but something that you do that can impact others we can judge you on.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Gotta love the superiority complex that comes with having had the ‘vaccination’ jabs.

I suppose we all have to find ways to convince ourselves we’re better than others.

Really? That’s what you take from it rather than those unvaccinated/not boosted only thinking of themselves and not the wider community.  

If thinking about the wider community and talking about it means I have a superiority complex then so be it but if even one person changes their mind and gets the jab then it’ll be worth it.  

Multiply that by others that have been influenced by others and we build more herd immunity and then the community becomes safer for those who are elderly or vulnerable or who aren’t able to take the jab.  

Surely it’s those who decide not to take the jab are the issue especially if they talk and comment about it in various forums…

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Gotta love the superiority complex that comes with having had the ‘vaccination’ jabs.

I suppose we all have to find ways to convince ourselves we’re better than others.

No superiority complex here - just common sense.

There are jabs available which help protect both yourself and the rest of society - one of which has been around for as long as I can remember. I don’t understand why people wouldn’t get one.

This anti-vaccine stuff that’s happened during/since Covid is now impacting on children getting fewer vaccinations than before leading to increased cases of, for example, measles (which I’m pretty sure was non-existent not so long ago). Again, I don’t understand why people wouldn’t want their children vaccinated.

But sure, free country and all that. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

It cant be one way nick if your going to judge someone for taking a vaccine then someone can judge you or whoever for taking vaccine. Its not a one way street because one side says its ok whether we agree or not 

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It cant be one way nick if your going to judge someone for taking a vaccine then someone can judge you or whoever for taking vaccine. Its not a one way street because one side says its ok whether we agree or not 

Yeah I’m very happy for anybody to judge me for taking the vaccine/booster.

If they think I’m wrong or have an issue with it then they are idiots and I’m happy to be on the opposite side of the discussion.  

Even if it eventuates down the road that the minute chance the leading scientists in the world on this topic somehow got it wrong then rational thinking still, today, would lead my decision to trust leading experts in the field of immunisation rather than conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxers, Joe Bloggs on the internet, political activists or anecdotal stories.  

Added to that my decision to think of the wider community over just my own needs whether laziness, some inconvenience or some mental conspiracy seems a rational thing to do.

So yes I’m happy to be judged and if somebody doesn’t agree with my choices that’s fine, I’m very comfortable with my position on this topic.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

My experience is the anti vax crowd seem to act like the superior ones. 

They did their own research after all. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To feel superior to others is definitely the reason why I had a flu and Covid booster this month. 

I'm hoping to get a Range Rover soon to trundle to the shops in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I’m very happy for anybody to judge me for taking the vaccine/booster.

If they think I’m wrong or have an issue with it then they are idiots and I’m happy to be on the opposite side of the discussion.  

Even if it eventuates down the road that the minute chance the leading scientists in the world on this topic somehow got it wrong then rational thinking still, today, would lead my decision to trust leading experts in the field of immunisation rather than conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxers, Joe Bloggs on the internet, political activists or anecdotal stories.  

Added to that my decision to think of the wider community over just my own needs whether laziness, some inconvenience or some mental conspiracy seems a rational thing to do.

So yes I’m happy to be judged and if somebody doesn’t agree with my choices that’s fine, I’m very comfortable with my position on this topic.

i dont judge whether you have or havent had it none of my business. Just like how you vote 

Really its no one business what you do everyone knows by now the risks

Edited by Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i dont judge whether you have or havent had it none of my business. Just like how you vote 

Really its no one business what you do everyone knows by now the risks

As far as I can tell, there are 3 reasons not to get vaccinated:

1. Conspiracy theories around their safety (daftest reason)
2. Afraid of needles
3. Can’t be arsed

I’d like to be enlightened otherwise, though. 

• Like 3

Â