Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

"twitter says"  is there to be treated by the same ridicule as any other medium

What on earth are you on about?

Are you really concentrating on the responses to Peston's and Adam Wagner's posts rather than the points that those two are making?

That's like writing off articles by people who have some expertise on a subject because you've taken issue with the anonymous comments below the line. It's bizarre and utterly misses the point.

Edited by snowychap

whats everybody's thoughts on using the gym while this is doing the rounds and with the government advice re social distancing?

I wipe equipment with sanitiser before and after use but gym's are renown for being  breeding grounds for germs etc.

I'm fit and healthy but I'm currently of the mindset of not taking a chance and knocking it on the head.

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Yawn. Glib crap.

Go and talk to someone willing to engage on this level. I'm trying to be serious. You are not.

"yawn glib crap " ..  the comments were taken directly from the very post that you linked to  , they are  not my words  , i quoted them as evidence of my claim that " some people will view this as .... "

As for the last comment  , if you wish to be serious , perhaps after you  paste from twitter (or other sources)  you could then add some comment /opinion of your own for us to engage with  , then we'd have something to form the serious conversation with you about  ... if i wanted to engage with the views of followers of Adam Wagner I'd follow Adam on twitter 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

whats everybody's thoughts on using the gym while this is doing the rounds and with the government advice re social distancing?

I wipe equipment with sanitiser before and after use but gym's are renown for being  breeding grounds for germs etc.

I'm fit and healthy but I'm currently of the mindset of not taking a chance and knocking it on the head.

My gym has always had sanitisers  .. 90% of people never used them and machines were quite often minging when you came to use them as the person before had dripped sweat all over it and walked away    ... the gym now is probably the cleanest and safest its ever been  , hopefully peoples mindset will continue long after this has ended  .

I'm still going to mine , they have switched off every other machine so there is a reasonable amount of distance between each  CV machine  and  I'm working on a possibly flawed logic that anyone who thinks they are unwell is following advice and staying away 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My gym has always had sanitisers

Has it always had plastic coated equipment, people who don't sweat and does it get sanitised completely every 15 minutes?

Hand sanitizer really isn't going to cut it in a gym

people sweat, bodily fluids and water droplets is how this spreads, the virus stays alive on metallic surfaces for up to 12 hours (by far the worst type of surface to hold the virus)

EDIT: Gyms are also very humid, which again has a significant impact on the spread of the virus, it thrives in humid environments. Chinese data has also showed that Gyms had a significant impact on spreading the disease.

Seriously Tony, don't go to the gym, for your own sake

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

"yawn glib crap " ..  the comments were taken directly from the very post that you linked to  , they are  not my words  , i quoted them as evidence of my claim that " some people will view this as .... "

I posted two tweets from two people.

Go and read all of the responses if you want to but if you really take the point of anyone posting tweets that they are putting forward all of the views espoused by all of the respondents to the original tweets for consideration then you really are missing the point spectacularly.

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

As for the last comment  , if you wish to be serious , perhaps after you  paste from twitter (or other sources)  you could then add some comment /opinion of your own for us to engage with 

Sometimes I do add a comment of my own, sometimes I don't.

As for this 'if you wish to be serious' line as your defence for the level of your response - hide behind that if you want but it's just a joke, Tony, it really is.

Edited by snowychap

The gym i use i would say it's 50/50 on who wipe the equipment down. Hence why i always (even before this virus) wipe the equipment down.

I think under the circumstances i will knock it on the head and not take any chances. No need to put myself into a higher risk situation.

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm working on a possibly flawed logic that anyone who thinks they are unwell is following advice and staying away 

The guy that runs the gym in our office has had a ‘quiet’ word with just about everyone everywhere that he’s ‘officially’ closing but if people want to keep using the gym he’s still there and everything is still on.

Top strategy right there.

• Sad 1

Gyms should absolutely be off the cards I think. They're perfect breeding grounds for spreading a virus, even with precautions, which then turns you into a potential hazard for everyone and everything you go near afterwards.

• Like 3

I guess gym's have a better financial buffer than most businesses as most memberships are paid for monthly/annually.

So theyre not really bothered too much if people turn up or not.

Edited by imavillan

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Go and read all of the responses if you want to but if you really take the point of anyone posting tweets that they are putting forward all of the views espoused by all of the respondents to the original tweets for coonsideration then you really are missing the point spectacularly.

i never said anything of the sort , that's putting words in my mouth ,again 

of the 5 point plan you posted i commented it was good that the government was taking some positive action  , I don't know if you agreed or disagreed with the 5 point plan as you didn't comment   , had you done so i guess I'd have engaged directly  with your opinion   and my second sentence would have been redundant  , however , in the absence of this and based on the comments I did read  on the quoted tweet   , I commented that  "Some people will think  ....... "     and when challenged subsequently posted direct evidence to support this claim  (which  you dismissed as glib )

but , it's not really topic related now , feel free to rebuttal if you wish, i'll read it but won't respond  ...  time to move on to the next disagreement  :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i never said anything of the sort , that's putting words in my mouth ,again

of the 5 point plan you posted i commented it was good that the government was taking some positive action  , I don't know if you agreed or disagreed with the 5 point plan as you didn't comment   , had you done so i guess I'd have engaged directly  with your opinion   and my second sentence would have been redundant  , however , in the absence of this and based on the comments I did read  on the quoted tweet   , I commented that  "Some people will think  ....... "     and when challenged subsequently posted direct evidence to support this claim  (which  you dismissed as glib )

but , it's not really topic related now , feel free to rebuttal if you wish, i'll read it but won't respond  ...  time to move on to the next disagreement  :)

Nope. Still utterly hapless rubbish.

Feel free to respond if you wish but I won't read it. It's not worth the time or effort.

Edited by snowychap

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

You'd be insane to use a gym. Think of all the bodily fluids and metal surfaces

Have to say i went gym yesterday and the amount of wiping and spraying the people working out and the staff were doing was ridiculous.

Probably cleaner than my office!!

Â