Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Further to our discussion yesterday, I've just seen this Reuters article (an obvious caveat is that this is a journalist's summary) which appears to be about action taken in response to the research mentioned in that other article:

On the face of it (and with the caveat as per above), this would appear to suggest that the aerosolisation occurs as part of routine actions not just medical procedures, wouldn't it?

Really interesting Snowy! :) 

The more you know! - right? 

You're absolutely right, a sneeze's "droplets" are much finer than a normal cough, or speaking ("Th", "S", "P" & "F" being the dirty letters/sounds) - I also guess (only guessing) that clinical aerosolisation might differ to normal sneezing, probably in both micron size and how long those droplets are in the air - I'd have to check with a professional.

I also believe that by people appropriately managing coughing or sneezing, like using a tissue or coughing/sneezing into your elbow, with severely limit the projection of the droplets.

I (we/my company) should be having another chat with the Trust at some point this week - I'll definitely raise this query though, like I said yesterday, if anyone does have any questions, I can try and get them answered as best as I can. :thumb: 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I also believe that by people appropriately managing coughing or sneezing, like using a tissue or coughing/sneezing into your elbow, with severely limit the projection of the droplets.

Indeed.

11 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Not hugely important but anyone know if we would still have to pay nursery fees as and when schools and nurseries are closed?

In my view personally don't pay and deal with the fallout later. Everyone will be scrambling to top up their cash reserves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Should be interesting to see the short term climate effects of no airplane traffic globally for a couple of months. 

I saw a piece on this earlier. China estimates that more people have survived due to the lessening of the pollution than those who have died of the virus.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/17/health/china-air-pollution-coronavirus-deaths-intl/index.html

"The reductions in air pollution in China caused by this economic disruption likely saved twenty times more lives in China than have currently been lost due to infection with the virus in that country," Burke wrote on G-Feed, a site run by a group of scientists researching the relationship between society and the environment.

I also saw some fairly stunning satellite footage of the Po valley in Italy which is likely to be having its cleanest air since pre-industrial revolution. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Completely agree with this, which is why the American solution of 'send everyone a cheque' is not a good solution. I mean, Trump's previous idea was a payroll tax cut, which is somehow even worse, so at least we're now at an averagely bad idea instead of a spectacularly bad one. But fiscal stimulus is most likely to simply drive more economic activity, and hence spread the virus.

That's part of the reason I like the Danish solution of getting everyone on 75% pay and staying at home; hopefully people will feel *poorer* without feeling *poor*, and won't just spend their time at home ordering stuff off Amazon.

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Mrs H went shopping this morning  ... Tesco had no beer   !!  this shit is about to get real

Good time to start home brewing, in the last few days I've made a batch of Irish Red and an IPA, they won't be ready for a few months but I luckily brewed a lager about 4 months ago which is tasting just fine atm. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Edit: Also

Some good positive action from the government there  , I'm sure some will think we are a step closer to brown shirts and Boris becoming dictator for life though

Text my missus as I left work last night to say I was half an hour later leaving than usual as I had a meeting. Usually takes me an hour to get home. Got home pretty much usual time thanks to very light traffic. I could get used to that!

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm sure some will think we are a step closer to brown shirts and Boris becoming dictator for life though

The blasé nature of 'some' is how we end up in situations where 'temporary' laws for one specific purpose widen their scope to things for which they weren't originally meant to be used and their 'temporary' nature becomes permanent and the norm.

New laws need to be carefully considered and scrutinised at all times but especially at times when things can be pushed and forced through, for instance by claims about necessity and by means of large majorities in Parliament.

But sure, write it off in some glib way as you have done above.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Good time to start home brewing, in the last few days I've made a batch of Irish Red and an IPA, they won't be ready for a few months but I luckily brewed a lager about 4 months ago which is tasting just fine atm. :) 

A few months?! Surely the IPA will be stale by then? I brewed up a keg of Kölsch the other day that I’m waiting on. 

Just now, LondonLax said:

A few months?! Surely the IPA will be stale by then? I brewed up a keg of Kölsch the other day that I’m waiting on. 

20 days in the bucket, 15 days to carbonise in the bottles, 1 month to mature in a cold place. 

Excess alcohol suppresses  the immune system, just saying...

How Does Alcohol Affect the Immune System?

Livestrong.com

I will still be attempting to drink my usual 10 units a week, I'm just not going to be tempted to get smashed if I'm banged up in the house

• Like 2

Just now, snowychap said:

The blasé nature of 'some' is how we end up in situations where 'temporary' laws for one specific purpose widen their scope to things for which they weren't originally meant to be used and their 'temporary' nature becomes permanent and the norm.

New laws need to be carefully considered and scrutinised at all times but especially at times when things can be pushed and forced through, for instance by claims about necessity and by means of large majorities in Parliament.

But sure, write it off in some glib way as you have done above.

can you name a temporary law introduced in this country that has then been used for a wider scope and become the norm  and allowed the fascists to take over , the end of democracy and absolute power as some comments on that thread are claiming

"twitter says"  is there to be treated by the same ridicule as any other medium   

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

can you name a temporary law introduced in this country that has then been used for a wider scope and become the norm

There are plenty of laws where scope has widened beyond the original intent - RIPA, for example (many, if not all, of the terrorism laws, too).

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

allowed the fascists to take over , the end of democracy and absolute power

Yawn. Glib crap.

Go and talk to someone willing to engage on this level. I'm trying to be serious. You are not.

Edit: And for an example of 'temporary' legislation, you could look at various bits of terrorism legislation with sunset clauses (e.g. Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005) where the debates about rolling these temporary measures over were sparsely attended and engaged in and just largely nodded through.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â