Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Manchester Evening News

All Covid restrictions in England will be scrapped within days, according to reports.

The current 'Plan B' measures are due to be reviewed on January 26 - in 10 days time

A senior government source told the Sunday Express that all of the measures currently in place under the plan will be ditched. 

Mandatory mask wearing in schools, as well as on public transport and at indoor events, Covid passports and the 'work from home' rule will all be scrapped, reports suggest.

All that will remain will be a requirement to isolate for five days with a positive Covid test and the need to take lateral flow tests for international travel.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As happy as I am about it, it's clearly populist BS to distract from the partygatesssss

Hmmmm, I suspect its aimed more at keeping the throbber tendancy inside the Tory Party at bay rather than a dead cat

Been feeling a bit rough this week so did a test this morning and tested positive for the first time. So far just a headache and a shitty cough so hoping it gets no worse. Sucks as we've got a 1 month baby and I know the data shows that it doesn't have an impact on little kids but I'd hate to make the little dude ill. 

• Sad 4

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Been feeling a bit rough this week so did a test this morning and tested positive for the first time. So far just a headache and a shitty cough so hoping it gets no worse. Sucks as we've got a 1 month baby and I know the data shows that it doesn't have an impact on little kids but I'd hate to make the little dude ill. 

Unlucky mate, fingers crossed it gets no worse for you.

The in-laws have it and they are saying the same. Mild cold like symptoms, nothing that would have raised concern in the old days. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2022 at 11:07, StefanAVFC said:

As happy as I am about it, it's clearly populist BS to distract from the partygatesssss

Nah, this one is not another dead cat. Nicola Sturgeon announced the end of most restrictions in Scotland as well yesterday, obviously she wasn't running cover. 

This is one of the problems with' dead cats', people start to see them everywhere, but governments are big organisations which do more than one thing at a time. 

48 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Great stuff. Just need self isolation through track and trace to end and we'll be back to almost normal.

Back to normal aside from the tens of thousands getting ill from covid, the thousands ending up in hospital and the hundreds a day dying or ending up suffering with long covid.  Lifting all restrictions with it still so rampant seems irresponsible but opportunistic given Johnsons current woes.  

Edited by markavfc40

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Back to normal aside from the tens of thousands getting ill from covid, the thousands ending up in hospital and the hundreds a day dying or ending up suffering with long covid.  Lifting all restrictions with it still so rampant seems irresponsible but opportunistic giving Johnsons current woes.  

It's definitely opportunitic.

But I'm not sure there is a way out of it that doesn't involve people dying. 

We could make a mandate for everyone to wear masks forever and everywhere. We could make it mandatory for household settings. It will decrease people dying.

But should we?

9 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

We could make a mandate for everyone to wear masks forever and everywhere. We could make it mandatory for household settings. It will decrease people dying.

But should we?

I accept we can't wipe this out completely and I don't think we should make mask wearing compulsory forever/everywhere. At a time when we are I'd imagine still getting over 2 million cases a week (I haven't seen latest ONS figures), we have around 20k people in hospital and are reporting over 2k deaths a week (over 400 reported yesterday) it doesn't seem the time to have pretty much zero measures. 

Link

A folk singer from the Czech Republic has died after deliberately catching Covid, her son has told the BBC. 

Hana Horka, 57, was unvaccinated and had posted on social media that she was recovering after testing positive, but died two days later. 

Her son, Jan Rek, said she got infected on purpose when he and his father had the virus, so she could get a recovery pass to access certain venues. 

The Czech Republic reported a record number of cases on Wednesday. 

Mr Rek and his father, who are both fully vaccinated, both caught Covid over Christmas. But he said his mother had decided not to stay away from them, preferring instead to expose herself to the virus.

56 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

But should we?

I think we need to be close to getting rid of restrictions this year, because soon enough everyone who wants will have been vaccinated and boosted and the only tactic available is top up booster jabs ala flu for the most vulnerable. That said, getting rid of all restrictions in one go still mid winter is just unnecessary. Phase it out so we're at no restrictions come spring seems more sensible and fair on the health service. I see no reason for mask mandates to be here come the sunny warm weather. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I think we need to be close to getting rid of restrictions this year, because soon enough everyone who wants will have been vaccinated and boosted and the only tactic available is top up booster jabs ala flu for the most vulnerable. That said, getting rid of all restrictions in one go still mid winter is just unnecessary. Phase it out so we're at no restrictions come spring seems more sensible and fair on the health service. I see no reason for mask mandates to be here come the sunny warm weather. 

It was interesting that the PM was asked about the science behind the decision this afternoon and completely fudged the answer. From memory he basically said that everyone's seen the science.

I'd love to hear a take on the decision from Whitty or JVT. 

Â