Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anywhere here lose their taste and smell and for how long? Been 2 days for me now. I’m considering eating the most healthy yet bland diet I can think of. May as well! 

I also probably stink. 

I lost mine for 6-8 weeks. It returning was a gradual thing for me. I know others who seem to have long lasting (permanent?) changes to their taste (particularly with eggs for some reason).

We're all too polite to tell you that you stink.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

I lost mine for 6-8 weeks. It returning was a gradual thing for me. I know others who seem to have long lasting (permanent?) changes to their taste (particularly with eggs for some reason).

We're all too polite to tell you that you stink.

Wow, 6-8 weeks! That must have been frustrating!  It’s a good time to try and lose weight though. 

Why are we failing so bad? We really are an embarassment to the rest of the world.

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Wow, well done!

*This has been inadvertently ruined somewhat by the above post

I don't get it 😫

1 minute ago, MCU said:

Ah. Thought that was too obvious.

Not to everyone.  I spend years thinking that the Elder Scrolls V Skyrim thread was a debate about which one was best, Elder Scrolls or Skyrim. (I did get the Wow reference though... I think)

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

It doesn't have to be as bad as it is here. We are learning to live with it as our peers are dealing with it.

Considering the UK was in front of the race to get everyone vaccinated, and the studies now show effectiveness of the vaccines drops significantly after 6 months, maybe the others will catch up in the next month or 2.

I hope not. 

We need to stop counting cases or as an alternative stop focussing on them and leave them to an end of season stat update. Pertinent things for immediate digestion need to change to things like ICU capacity, deaths and moving spending from silly business like the military to increasing beds per head of population.

The virus is endemic and the specific country by country numbers are of little practical use. Though they do help with clicks though.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

We need to stop counting cases or as an alternative stop focussing on them and leave them to an end of season stat update. Pertinent things for immediate digestion need to change to things like ICU capacity, deaths and moving spending from silly business like the military to increasing beds per head of population.

The virus is endemic and the specific country by country numbers are of little practical use. Though they do help with clicks though.

They’ll help with spreading fear and getting kids vaccinated too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

I agree with some of that. But We need metrics and data to understand both the current situation and trend, but the key metric at the moment in the uk is hospitalisations, followed by deaths. Yet the trend currently of infections is going the wrong way, indicating rising hospitalisation and death to come. As a consequence of that data steps need to be taken to actively turn things round. But we need to be careful not to go too mad over other nations data, which are not gathered using the same baselines or methods.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

I agree with some of that. But We need metrics and data to understand both the current situation and trend, but the key metric at the moment in the uk is hospitalisations, followed by deaths. Yet the trend currently of infections is going the wrong way, indicating rising hospitalisation and death to come. As a consequence of that data steps need to be taken to actively turn things round. But we need to be careful not to go too mad over other nations data, which are not gathered using the same baselines or methods.

Right, comparing the US to the UK is silly. A more appropriate comparison would be with specific states or the US with the EU... and that's just for starters.

My 6 year old lad has come home from school today with a temperature, not himself. He has had a sniffy nose since he had the Flu vaccine Monday, gave him the Calpol and he improved for a couple of hours back his normal self, but temp back now. Hoping it's just a cold, but trying to get a 6 year old to do a Lateral flow test, up the nose and down the throat is proving very difficult.

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Right, comparing the US to the UK is silly. A more appropriate comparison would be with specific states or the US with the EU... and that's just for starters.

May I ask why you suggest that?

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

My 6 year old lad has come home from school today with a temperature, not himself. He has had a sniffy nose since he had the Flu vaccine Monday, gave him the Calpol and he improved for a couple of hours back his normal self, but temp back now. Hoping it's just a cold, but trying to get a 6 year old to do a Lateral flow test, up the nose and down the throat is proving very difficult.

Offer money.

That's what we do with our 6 year old :lol: 

He's like a frickin' pelican for cash. 

18 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

With you there my two kids flat refuse and it's as though your trying to murder them if you do. 

Apparently the new test are only up the nose so a little easier. 

Edited by villaglint

47 minutes ago, villaglint said:

With you there my two kids flat refuse and it's as though your trying to murder them if you do. 

Apparently the new test are only up the nose so a little easier. 

Money, toys, will not tempt him. Luckily he has a party to go to tomorrow, so just told him he can't go if he don't let us do it.  He kinda did it himself yesterday although I wasn't too happy with the negative result as unsure if he did it correctly. We didn't send him to school today just in case, so I did it again earlier today. He accidently put it a bit to far up his nose himself and as horrible as it sounds, I gave him a nudge when he was putting in his mouth, made him choke so I'm sure it went far enough, came negative again, which I'm happy with, must just be a cold. He is not too bad today, just dosing him up on Calpol. We have to be a bit careful as he has some sort of autoimmune issue, not fully diagnosed yet after 5 years, goes a bit jaundice when he gets ill, he handles it though so nothing to be too worried about.

Me and the Mrs have tested ourselves too, just to check, all negative so maybe got away with it this time. Lateral flow tests though, so fingers crossed.

Edited by foreveryoung

Â