Generic Virus Thread

villakram

16 minutes ago, MCU said:

Anyone who's done a walk/drive in PCR... how long have you usually waited until you hear results? A little anxious waiting over here 😬

A mate of mine did one in Carlisle last weekend - around 24 hours I think. Did it Saturday morning, got the result Sunday morning. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Something must be up with this chart, yes, we’re led by idiots but there must be more to it.

Is it the testing of children? I know at lot have been missing from school and my lads 2 football teams after testing positive for covid. Are other countries picking these up like we are?

I think  part of it would definitely be a result of increased testing in the UK. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

A mate of mine did one in Carlisle last weekend - around 24 hours I think. Did it Saturday morning, got the result Sunday morning. 

@MCU - yea same.

I had 2 PCR's last week due to feeling very ill (Headaches, stuffed nose, body aches, loss of smell/taste (everything tasted metallic?) and night sweats), but they both came back negative in 24 hours. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

@MCU - yea same.

I had 2 PCR's last week due to feeling very ill (Headaches, stuffed nose, body aches, loss of smell/taste (everything tasted metallic?) and night sweats), but they both came back negative in 24 hours. 

Did you take a lateral before hand just out of interest?

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea, I was beginning to feel in on Fri whilst I was in Chillingham of all places and came back Sat.  Took lateral flows every day from Sat - Wednesday, where I got my second PCR result.  I first went for PCR on Monday.

All negative, but the loss of smell/taste made me not trust the laterals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCU said:

Anyone who's done a walk/drive in PCR... how long have you usually waited until you hear results? A little anxious waiting over here 😬

Usually next day up here. 

Hospitalisations are still pretty flat.  Unless they discover that it's a new strain then I hope they just leave it to personal responsibility on keeping covid-safe.  I just wish they had used the summer holidays to vaccinate kids, there was always going to be a spike when they went back to school, leading into autumn/winter.

36 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Hospitalisations are still pretty flat

Not really. It's more roller coaster, with the trend being very definitely upwards at the moment. There's massive strain on the NHS and care.

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, MCU said:

We’ve had to do a couple due to the kids both having it. Our results were back from a Plymouth drive through PCR test site within 8-10hrs of taking it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

We’ve had to do a couple due to the kids both having it. Our results were back from a Plymouth drive through PCR test site within 8-10hrs of taking it. 

Wow, that's a quick turnaround. It's been 25 hours so far (not that I'm counting ;)). Done another lateral today and the second lines more noticeable.

Still don't feel rough but getting waves of chills and a sniffly nose.

10 minutes ago, MCU said:

Wow, that's a quick turnaround. It's been 25 hours so far (not that I'm counting ;)). Done another lateral today and the second lines more noticeable.

Still don't feel rough but getting waves of chills and a sniffly nose.

The second line is not a good sign 😔 

hope you’re ok! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Testing hasn't really increased

Capture.PNG

but cases have shot up

Capture.PNG

I think that was meant as more testing in the UK compared to other places rather than the amount of testing in the UK has increased, though I have no idea if the former is true nor if that was the intended meaning.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I think that was meant as more testing in the UK compared to other places rather than the amount of testing in the UK has increased, though I have no idea if the former is true nor if that was the intended meaning.

Ah, OK. Apologies to @LondonLax if that was what he meant. That said, there's also the recent instance of loads of PCR tests (40k+) being incorrectly called negative in the lab in Wolvo.

Whichever, it's clear that the UK, compared to similar(ish) nations close by is doing a lot worse in terms of cases and cases per capita, largely due to the lack of precautionary measures and laws here compared to France, Germany and so on - hardly any masks, schools all mixing, no Covid passes, to the joy of libertarians like, but to the detriment of the dead and ill resulting from that.

With the way cases are going, I think I might be staying home as much as possible and avoiding crowds over winter. I'm meant to be going to a few gigs next month, but it feels ridiculously irresponsible with the way things are going. I think I'll let the rest of the general public be the guinea pigs and see how things are looking in January/February.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Not really. It's more roller coaster, with the trend being very definitely upwards at the moment. There's massive strain on the NHS and care.

Capture.PNG

Yes I was looking at a graph done to a different scale on the BBC, comparing it to pre-vaccine levels.  I don't think it is yet to levels that I would be panicking about it, an increase would have been factored into the equation with schools returning and the weather changing, they said at the time they eased restrictions in the summer that if they didn't do it then, then you are likely to never get into a satisfactory position to do so if you keep waiting and waiting.  As I said, the game-changer for me would be if there is a new variant detected, then introduce social distancing and mask-wearing again until they have enough data on it.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think it is yet to levels that I would be panicking about it

That's very fair for an individual.

My take is that the Government should be more proactive than us posters on a football site. The experts and the politicians need to be ahead of the game, to avoid an "it's OK...all's good... feck! it's not OK, PANIC!" sequence of events like we've been having for 18 months. The mishandling of Covid by England in particular has been appalling, and far too much influence has been had from the throbber press and very right wing tory nobbers, to the detriment of the general population.

• Like 2

Bulgaria has gone into full lockdown for those without an EU Covid certificate. Pubs, clubs and shopping centres all require you to be scanned in. Schools are closed immediately with the order coming at 4.30pm.

20% of the country is vaccinated. The lowest in the EU. Complete mouth breathing antivaxx bollocks has brought this on, not government inefficiency. 

Â