Generic Virus Thread

villakram

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why aren’t the government drilling this message home about the vaccination status of those in hospital?

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly what I was wondering. 

Dear Tory voters, you are absolute weapons for not getting vaxxed

You know the correlation is strong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Dear Tory voters, you are absolute weapons for not getting vaxxed

You know the correlation is strong!

I'm actually not sure that's entirely true, most of the people I see on these lockdown and anti vax protests don't look like typical tory voters to me.  Not seen a single bowler hat anywhere. 

But surely if it was you would want to protect them and keep your core voters alive? Then again The Republican Party clearly didn't think that way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm actually not sure that's entirely true, most of the people I see on these lockdown and anti vax protests don't look like typical tory voters to me.  Not seen a single bowler hat anywhere. 

Get with the programme. Tory voters aren't the bowler hat brigade anymore, they're the working classes. 

• Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

Get with the programme. Tory voters aren't the bowler hat brigade anymore, they're the working classes. 

Must explain why I've stopped voting Tory then being firmly a middle class professional. Trying to avoid the oinks. 

Sky news so to be treated with a generous pinch of salt. 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-cases-could-fall-significantly-in-november-even-without-plan-b-modelling-suggests-12444117

COVID-19: Cases could fall significantly in November even without 'Plan B', modelling suggests

COVID-19: Cases could fall significantly in November even without 'Plan B', modelling suggests

Coronavirus cases could fall significantly in November without any restrictions being reintroduced, modelling seen by the government suggests.

Experts at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) have predicted that - even without the government's 'Plan B' - COVID cases, hospital admissions and deaths in England will peak in November and start to fall rapidly to much lower levels by Christmas.

Professor Paul Hunter, an epidemiologist at the University of East Anglia, told Sky News the modelling suggests the UK is close to 'endemic equilibrium'.

"But the modellers are predicting incredibly low numbers by mid-December in pretty much all of their scenarios.

"So if they're suggesting that even if we do nothing cases are going to decline substantially, more restrictions don't seem to be the appropriate response."

Edited by sidcow

BBC are also going with the “cases might be about to plummet” story.

Covid modelling
Presentational white space

This model, based on estimated total infections rather than those that come forward for testing and get reported in daily data, comes from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), which is just one of the groups that feeds into the government.

It is certainly the most optimistic at the moment, although what is noticeable is that the others produced by Imperial College London and University of Warwick also point to some degree of decrease being the most realistic scenario

• Like 1

On 24/10/2021 at 13:36, sidcow said:

Surely it must eventually find it harder to find new victims and start to slow down.  It's been going like a knife through butter on school kids and party animals and people wilh sloppy self protection. At some point it's surely got to encounter more resistance? 

Apparently 1 in 60 have it right this second.  How many people have therefore been infected in the last 2 months for example.  We've now got a firebreak of half term.  I'm really hoping we're approaching another peak and it starts to fall away a bit, especially as people get their boosters. 

I've been out to Saturday night pubs and busy restaurants against my better judgement because my brother has been down from Jockland. I refused to go out in the summer because of Covid but I found it hard to refuse it again this time round.  He's very very keen on the brothers going out and getting smashed and a big family meal out.  

Hopefully I've got away with it but I'll be keeping myself to myself as much as possible. I'm praying that it's calmed down by Christmas when he returns.  It's his last time down here before emigrating to Spain so he'll be very insistent again. 

If another million people a week are getting it between now and December surely a lot of suckers will be cleared out. 

Sounds like I wasn't too far off the money 

tenor.gif

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Well, I hope they're right, because it's an incredibly bold message to give to the public.

I hope they are right as well because here in WA people are not exactly rushing to get jabbad just because we have never really had the Covid 19 virus.BTW,I have had my 2 AZ shots.

Just now, PussEKatt said:

I hope they are right as well because here in WA people are not exactly rushing to get jabbad just because we have never really had the Covid 19 virus.BTW,I have had my 2 AZ shots.

It won't apply where people haven't got jabbed. The report also makes it clear that the fully vaccinated must have their boosters too. 

Just now, sidcow said:

It won't apply where people haven't got jabbed. The report also makes it clear that the fully vaccinated must have their boosters too. 

As I said above over here people are not actually rushing to get jabbed because they think that because we didnt get Covid,we wont get it when we open our borders.Really silly thinking because when we open our border people will come in from all over the world ( with and without Covid )

Ill be getting my booster as soon as it is aviable. ( better safe than sorry )

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59047833?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6177d0b8a524990fa293b8f7%26Vast majority of ICU patients unvaccinated - Pollard%262021-10-26T10%3A06%3A27.462Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:53edf661-50ea-44c2-93ff-0dedf680994e&pinned_post_asset_id=6177d0b8a524990fa293b8f7&pinned_post_type=share

Vast majority of ICU patients unvaccinated - Pollard

We've got more from Oxford vaccine chief Prof Pollard, who says the "vast majority" of intensive care patients in the UK are unvaccinated.

According to the latest goverment data, there are 8,239 people in hospital with Covid in the UK.

But those who are vaccinated are having shorter hospital stays and milder symptoms of Covid, Pollard says.

Measures such as booster doses will help the impact on intensive care but it was also key to vaccinate those people who have not had the jab yet, he says.

Confirmed covid for me. Cough, aches, hot and cold and headache. I've been double jabbed and feel crap, can only imagine how bad I'd feel if I'd had no jabs at all. Have to isolate now until next week. My partner negative despite us sharing bed etc, and has only had 1 jab, was hoping we could all get it in one fell swoop.

• Sad 4

They should bloody well bill them.  How much does a stay in an ICU bed cost?  Thousands?  Tens of Thousands?  Yet they're perfectly happy for The Taxpayer to pick up the bill and the doctors and nurses to spend their precious time trying to keep them alive just because they thought they didn't need a vaccine or thought is was dangerous for them to take it despite the clear and obvious danger of not taking it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You could make the same argument about someone who gets ill from smoking, injuring from being drunk or gets diabetes from eating too much sugar, despite all the information out there warning people of the dangers of their lifestyle choices.  

It’s a risky move making moral judgments on who should receive free care and who has to pay. 

Yeah - I understand the frustration about people not getting vaccinated, but we should have a duty of care for everyone irrespective of their circumstance.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

You could make the same argument about someone who gets ill from smoking, injuring from being drunk or gets diabetes from eating too much sugar, despite all the information out there warning people of the dangers of their lifestyle choices.  

It’s a risky move making moral judgments on who should receive free care and who has to pay. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 17:55, blandy said:

May I ask why you suggest that?

The US is large  and diverse place and has areas with high and low numbers at any given time, hence the US numbers as a whole are not particularly revealing, when compared with the UK. Even something such as vs midwest or west coast etc., would be a better description of the true state of affairs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â