Generic Virus Thread

villakram

BBC

Advising people to work from home is likely to have the most impact on stopping Covid spreading this winter, scientists advising the government say.

Stricter virus restrictions should now be prepared for "rapid deployment", the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) said.

It said "presenteeism" - or pressure to be in work - could become an increasing cause of infections in workplaces. 

Asked about working from home, the PM said all measures were under review.

Boris Johnson added: "We do whatever we have to do to protect the public but the numbers that we're seeing at the moment are fully in line with what we expected in the autumn and winter plan."

I’m interpreting as SAGE are fed up of advising the Government what to do for the best as once again it looks like it’s being ignored.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

BBC

I’m interpreting as SAGE are fed up of advising the Government what to do for the best as once again it looks like it’s being ignored.

I'm just waiting for Boris to come out with the "Have yourselves a merry little Christmas" line before announcing the new variant and "Plan C" a few days later with a ban on households mixing:

Delta 'Plus' Covid variant may be more transmissible.

A new mutated form of coronavirus that some are calling "Delta Plus" may spread more easily than regular Delta, UK experts now say. 

BBC

1 minute ago, trekka said:

I'm just waiting for Boris to come out with the "Have yourselves a merry little Christmas" line before announcing the new variant and "Plan C" a few days later with a ban on households mixing:

The media will no doubt spend the next month or more asking him “what about Christmas day?” like it’s more important than the entire winter season.

He’ll mumble an ill thought out answer about it being the best Christmas ever and there will be no restrictions. Then eventually, as the bodies pile up he’ll have to announce nobody wanted to introduce restrictions more than him but alas, he must. He’ll conveniently not mention all of the experts who were advising he take small measures some months ago to avoid a catastrophe in January but there it is, again.

• Like 1

Had 3rd jab booster last week and felt considerably more lethargic for 3 days after then I did for the first 2 Jabs. For those that work I'd book it for thurs/Fri to get enough rest over the weekend. Mrs was same, could just be us but info just in case. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

If they could roll out the WFH order before Wednesday that would be great, as it means I wouldn't have to iron a work shirt. 

Nah, they'll wait until COP26 is done before Boris flies back to address the nation. 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

If they could roll out the WFH order before Wednesday that would be great, as it means I wouldn't have to iron a work shirt. 

No chance, it’s not massively too late yet

• Haha 1

Surely it must eventually find it harder to find new victims and start to slow down.  It's been going like a knife through butter on school kids and party animals and people wilh sloppy self protection. At some point it's surely got to encounter more resistance? 

Apparently 1 in 60 have it right this second.  How many people have therefore been infected in the last 2 months for example.  We've now got a firebreak of half term.  I'm really hoping we're approaching another peak and it starts to fall away a bit, especially as people get their boosters. 

I've been out to Saturday night pubs and busy restaurants against my better judgement because my brother has been down from Jockland. I refused to go out in the summer because of Covid but I found it hard to refuse it again this time round.  He's very very keen on the brothers going out and getting smashed and a big family meal out.  

Hopefully I've got away with it but I'll be keeping myself to myself as much as possible. I'm praying that it's calmed down by Christmas when he returns.  It's his last time down here before emigrating to Spain so he'll be very insistent again. 

If another million people a week are getting it between now and December surely a lot of suckers will be cleared out. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surely it must eventually find it harder to find new victims and start to slow down.  It's been going like a knife through butter on school kids and party animals and people wilh sloppy self protection. At some point it's surely got to encounter more resistance? 

Apparently 1 in 60 have it right this second.  How many people have therefore been infected in the last 2 months for example.  We've now got a firebreak of half term.  I'm really hoping we're approaching another peak and it starts to fall away a bit, especially as people get their boosters. 

I've been out to Saturday night pubs and busy restaurants against my better judgement because my brother has been down from Jockland. I refused to go out in the summer because of Covid but I found it hard to refuse it again this time round.  He's very very keen on the brothers going out and getting smashed and a big family meal out.  

Hopefully I've got away with it but I'll be keeping myself to myself as much as possible. I'm praying that it's calmed down by Christmas when he returns.  It's his last time down here before emigrating to Spain so he'll be very insistent again. 

If another million people a week are getting it between now and December surely a lot of suckers will be cleared out. 

This presumes you can only get it once.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surely it must eventually find it harder to find new victims and start to slow down.

Currently 68% of the total population have been double vaccinated. So there's another 20 odd million people not double jabbed. Then there's the waning protection from the vaccine and the time limited effective immunity from people who've recently had the virus. There's a massive pool of potential victims. Until we get to 90% of the total population with immunity via vaccine or recent infection, it will continue to spread quite freely (unless other measures are taken).

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This presumes you can only get it once.

I know you can get it more than once but it's unlikely you'll get it twice inside a couple of months. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know you can get it more than once but it's unlikely you'll get it twice inside a couple of months. 

But you don’t have to get it twice in a couple of months, once a year in a population of 68 million would be more than enough for this to be forever.

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

Currently 68% of the total population have been double vaccinated. So there's another 20 odd million people not double jabbed. Then there's the waning protection from the vaccine and the time limited effective immunity from people who've recently had the virus. There's a massive pool of potential victims. Until we get to 90% of the total population with immunity via vaccine or recent infection, it will continue to spread quite freely (unless other measures are taken).

Yeah, but I'm willing to bet the frequent mixers and the sloppy defenders overlap a lot.  At some point it's got to try and find more difficult to access hosts so it slows down.  It's never going to disappear but it will eventually decline to background levels. 

Isn't herd immunity kicks in around 70% but it's got to slow down before then. 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

But you don’t have to get it twice in a couple of months, once a year in a population of 68 million would be more than enough for this to be forever.

I'm not expecting it to disappear, just reduce to more manageable levels where I'm not feeling anxious about going out again. 

Yeah you might get unlucky even with low levels but right now I'm feeling there is a pretty high chance of getting it if I mix too much. 

I have seen some commentators say that with continual re-infection (hopefully via boosters in my case rather than actual infection) is could reduce to a disease akin to a bad cold as the body sees it more often and recognises it and how to deal with it better. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Isn't herd immunity kicks in around 70% but it's got to slow down before then. 

The level depends on how transmissible it is. For the first variant, yeah, around 70%, but the delta variant is more transmissible and so a much higher (around 90%) level is needed.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not expecting it to disappear, just reduce to more manageable levels where I'm not feeling anxious about going out again. 

Yeah you might get unlucky even with low levels but right now I'm feeling there is a pretty high chance of getting it if I mix too much. 

I have seen some commentators say that with continual re-infection (hopefully via boosters in my case rather than actual infection) is could reduce to a disease akin to a bad cold as the body sees it more often and recognises it and how to deal with it better. 

Sounds like we’re in a similar place.

I’m trying to take some sort of sensible reasonable path through it all.

I have to work, my job involves going in a lot of different buildings and meeting a lot of different people with their varying understanding and care about covid. Personally, I’m double jabbed and I’ve been blessed with good health so far in my life.

But my parents and my wife’s mother are all elderly with varying degrees of health issues. My mum is double jabbed, I’m under no illusion that even now if she gets covid, it will most likely kill her.

So I do my job, and I go shopping, and I have the occasional hotel weekend.

But I’m steering clear of pubs, the football away day, and I’ve just returned tickets for the rugby.

It’s go to the rugby corporate gig, or go for a cuppa over my parents. That’s the choice.

• Like 1

Â