Generic Virus Thread

villakram

It's better to stay home and not infect your colleagues, customers, as well as anytime you come across during your commute, but with how inadequate ssp is, and how many people are struggling from one payday to the next, as well as the judgment if you call in sick because you've got the sniffles, I'm not surprised it happens.

It does piss me off even more when I see it in comfortable, well paid office jobs though, when I know the person is just trying to play the hero. Another small problem that wfh should resolve for a lot of jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Of course it's true that employers don't like people being off work, but that's their problem and their lack of resilience. 

Very soon you'll be unemployed or top of the queue when redundancies are calculated. An awful lot of people only get statutory sick pay when they are off ill

It really can't be expected that you stay off work until UK Labour laws change

There's a whole world of differenc e between what you should do and what you have to do in the real world

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you have an infectious illness, you shouldn't go to work. 

People don't want to hear it, but making other people ill is not something to be done lightly. Of course it's true that employers don't like people being off work, but that's their problem and their lack of resilience. 

In an ideal world, yes. However, i'm shocked at how many companies don't pay staff when they are off sick. Often it's a case of they have to go in to afford to be able to live. 

I'm lucky I can work from home, and if needed get full pay for 6 months if i'm off sick long term. 

It's obviously true that lots of employers are shit, but that's what should change. I don't see the point of throwing up our hands and saying well this is just how it is. The point is that how it is isn't good enough. And there are also plenty of employers who aren't shit about this too. 

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's obviously true that lots of employers are shit, but that's what should change. I don't see the point of throwing up our hands and saying well this is just how it is. The point is that how it is isn't good enough. And there are also plenty of employers who aren't shit about this too. 

The good doctor should be campaigning for better labour laws then so people can take the time off when they are sick. Anything else is putting the cart before the horse

My lad is also now positive but again minimal symptoms… fortunately both kids are in good spirits and haven’t lost their appetites or feeling down.

we were supposed to be seeing Seann Walsh tonight (which has already been rescheduled twice due to Covid and originally a birthday gift to the wife) but even though we’re both negative on both LFT and PCRs we thought it was best not to go :( 

We’re having a take-away curry instead!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

In an ideal world, yes. However, i'm shocked at how many companies don't pay staff when they are off sick. Often it's a case of they have to go in to afford to be able to live. 

I'm lucky I can work from home, and if needed get full pay for 6 months if i'm off sick long term. 

My company wouldn't pay the shift I had to take off after my second jab as they only do statutory sick pay which kicks in after 4 days.  They would pay if I had to self-isolate for 10 days, so it almost incentivised getting Covid rather than getting the jab.  

7 hours ago, theboyangel said:

My lad is also now positive but again minimal symptoms… fortunately both kids are in good spirits and haven’t lost their appetites or feeling down.

we were supposed to be seeing Seann Walsh tonight (which has already been rescheduled twice due to Covid and originally a birthday gift to the wife) but even though we’re both negative on both LFT and PCRs we thought it was best not to go :( 

We’re having a take-away curry instead!

On the plus side you escaped having to go and see the word removed that is Seann Walsh. Small mercies and all that! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

On the plus side you escaped having to go and see the word removed that is Seann Walsh. Small mercies and all that! 

I've never considered him a word removed, he's a good stand up comedian imo. Ok, he's a QPR fan... 

On 15/10/2021 at 13:10, markavfc40 said:

Yes it is crazy. My daughter and wife had it a few days before me and they didn't get it as bad and recovered quicker. Either that or being a man I just felt more sorry for myself 😀

A couple of our neighbours (both double jabbed) got it. She had loss of smell and taste, and basically a bad cold, for about a week. He had zero symptoms. 

I'd love to know what factors are involved in these different reactions. 

I know more people with it now than at any other time. Luckily all of them are ok and its nothing more than an inconvenience for them and they are fine. Everyone is double jabbed. 

10,000 more cases today than last Sunday.  We've surely got to have another peak soon? 

The half term might come at just the right time to create a mini fire break. I'm sure a lot of this is being fuelled by schools. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but talking labour laws.

Over here, you cannot take a sick day off without a doctor's note, but you can have 4 emergency 'no questions asked' days off annually. Parents can take a certain amount of sick days if their kids are ill, and the pay % for sick leave is as follows:

Reasons for incapacity for work.

Amount of sickness allowance and sick pay

illness or accident (unconnected with work)

80% of wages

illness or accident requiring hospitalisation

70% of wages (80% in the case of sickness allowance)

work-related accident

100% of wages

accident on the way to or from work

100% of wages

occupational disease

100% of wages

illness or accident during pregnancy

100% of wages

situation connected with being an organ donor

100% of wages

The government agency (ZUS) who manage sick leaves, also do random spot checks if you're on sick leave :D 

20 hours ago, Xela said:

I know more people with it now than at any other time. Luckily all of them are ok and its nothing more than an inconvenience for them and they are fine. Everyone is double jabbed. 

Conversely I know absolutely no-one who currently has it and it's been that way for a couple of months

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

10,000 more cases today than last Sunday.  We've surely got to have another peak soon? 

The half term might come at just the right time to create a mini fire break. I'm sure a lot of this is being fuelled by schools. 

There does seem to be an impending booster spike on the horizon

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Slightly off topic but talking labour laws.

Over here, you cannot take a sick day off without a doctor's note, but you can have 4 emergency 'no questions asked' days off annually. Parents can take a certain amount of sick days if their kids are ill, and the pay % for sick leave is as follows:

Reasons for incapacity for work.

Amount of sickness allowance and sick pay

illness or accident (unconnected with work)

80% of wages

illness or accident requiring hospitalisation

70% of wages (80% in the case of sickness allowance)

work-related accident

100% of wages

accident on the way to or from work

100% of wages

occupational disease

100% of wages

illness or accident during pregnancy

100% of wages

situation connected with being an organ donor

100% of wages

The government agency (ZUS) who manage sick leaves, also do random spot checks if you're on sick leave :D 

Compared the the UK's flat rate of £96.35 per week; less than a third of the minimum wage. And you only get paid that if you're off for four or more days, less than that and you're shit out of luck and just don't get paid. How are people meant to survive and keep a roof over their heads taking days off for a cold?

We may have a cultural problem, but we've been sat down that path by a woefully inadequate safety net. And yes, many employers will go over and above SSP, but typically not the kind of employers that make their staff feel like they can't take a day off.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Compared the the UK's flat rate of £96.35 per week; less than a third of the minimum wage. And you only get paid that if you're off for four or more days, less than that and you're shit out of luck and just don't get paid. How are people meant to survive and keep a roof over their heads taking days off for a cold?

We may have a cultural problem, but we've been sat down that path by a woefully inadequate safety net. And yes, many employers will go over and above SSP, but typically not the kind of employers that make their staff feel like they can't take a day off.

Is this actually carried out anywhere?  Certainly isn't at my workplace.

Â